The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Default CF Guitars

So, I've had a recurring interest in CF guitars for all of those missions for which one would reasonably be hesistant to deploy a wood guitar. I'm willing to take vintage just about anywhere (prewar Martin, pre-CBS Fender, whatever), but road trips indicate leaving a guitar in the car or being that fussy guy who schleps his guitar everywhere. I don't believe in 'beater' guitars. But the idea of a credible, low maintenance guitar is a concept to which I give credence.

I've looked around a bit. I don't need a big guitar with a huge sound. I don't need a pickup. The point of interest is something smaller that plays well but has a pleasant tone.

The Blackbird Lucky 13 looks good, but so does the Rainsong Parlor. What's the current wisdom on these? Any better options?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 PM

You pretty much nailed my two favorites, so I'll let others chime in, but I will add this, since I bought my first Rainsong over 6 years ago, none of my wood guitars have left the house.

BTW, it would be great if the mods left this in General so folks who don't currently own CF guitars, and might not visit the CF section could benefit as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 PM

You might want to duplicate this on the CF Forum - get the best of both worlds...
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I got a RainSong "Smokey" hybrid (carbon fiber/fiberglass) from Ted at LAGS and it's a deep body OM size guitar that has 12 frets to the body and a cutaway. Mine does have the dual source LR Baggs Anthem system that is great. But I believe they can be had without the P/U? Great little guitar and no worries what-so-ever about heat, cold, or humidity. Great setup and big open voice....no internal bracing! Best of luck whatever you decide!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:57 PM

I think the Smokey is RainSong's "WS" body size, which I believe is closer to a Taylor Grand Auditorium than an OM.

I have a RainSong OM and absolutely love it. One of the things I like best about it is cleaning it with Windex.

But some other possibilities might include a Journey Instruments OF660 or a Klos. If money is no object and an OM is a suitable size, then I think a Leviora is probably the best available CF guitar.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01 PM

Default CFers

I too have had similar thoughts (and finally managed to put them away). I have played several CFs. The Lucky 13, for various reasons of my own, was my favorite. You will find virtually all CFs have cutaways and electronics. Those are hard to avoid. Style-wise, they tend to be on the modern side. It makes sense - how could they ever look very traditional? Soundwise, to me they haven't sounded like wood guitars. I don't mean to imply anything bad, just different. I found they have their own sound, one which is kind of uncolored to my ears.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I think the Smokey is RainSong's "WS" body size, which I believe is closer to a Taylor Grand Auditorium than an OM.

I have a RainSong OM and absolutely love it. One of the things I like best about it is cleaning it with Windex.

But some other possibilities might include a Journey Instruments OF660 or a Klos. If money is no object and an OM is a suitable size, then I think a Leviora is probably the best available CF guitar.
Yeah...the WS body might be closer to the GA in size than an OM? It doesn't feel big at all but it is a full 5" deep at the (what would be if it was made from wood) tail block.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

I'm glad this was posted and I hope it stays in this forum as well.

I LOVE the idea of a CF for similar reasons and would really like one however, I've not yet heard one that inspires me. I don't know that this constitutes "current wisdom" but to me personally, those that I've listened to seem either "chimey," too bright, or like "striking-the-keys-of-a-piano" frequently with a sort of "chick-chick" sound from the strings. Admittedly, I'm going only on Soundcloud, Youtube, and other posted sound clips from the forums as it's not easy to find a bunch of these to play.

I don't mean to imply that they aren't fantastic for those who love them, clearly they are and those who have them are crazy about them.

I had not come across Klos or Leviora so thanks for dropping those names, Noodle! I'm going to check on those...I remain very open to finding one that speaks to me!

OP -- best of luck in your search and please report back on your choice. I'd listen to a bunch and try to get your hands on and play those you're interested in if at all possible.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I've owned three CF guitars in the past few years.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Rainsong Shorty APLE
Journey Overhead OF660

All have been terrific guitars. The OF660 is a travel guitar that breaks down so if you don't need that then the others would be fine. The RS Shorty's are great guitars, especially the APLE and now the APSE models.

The Emeralds are all quite something to behold and play. Check out the NGD entries here and in the CF forum. I've posted a few with video clips so you can see and hear what they sound like.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 PM

For what it's worth... I have both a Lucky 13 and a Rainsong WS-1000. When I got the Rainsong I was really looking for a smaller body CF. I was surprised and pleased to find the Rainsong to have amazing tone, very similar to the crispness and clarity of a Collings all maple OM, but with a more resonant bass... crystalline clarity, sustain for days.

But... I still wanted a smaller body. Went to LA Guitars, met Ted, played all the smaller body instruments (including McPherson). The L13 won hands down to my ears... I think it has to do with the multi sound holes... a great player experience.

To my ears, the WS-1000 is much more guitar in terms of tone, range, and projection. But I love the L13 for what it is and what I got it for, and I like the look better than the WS-1000. I decided to keep them both, very glad I have them... one is in my office on a stand, and one at home always out and ready to play... no worries about temps or humidity or anything else.

PS: My very favorite guitar is wood, not CF... it is a Gibson Jackson Browne, a real "grand piano" of an instrument... fabulous tone and playability... but it is always protected in the case, and does not get played near as much as my 2 CF babies.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I now have an Emerald X7 Artisan for almost two weeks. I have not tested any other cf guitars but I'm completely impressed with this X7. The craftsmanship on this is phenomenal and the tone is very satisfactory to my ears. A bonus to this truly is the relief of worry about leaving my Wilborn out in the 31% humidity level. The X7 just hangs there, all happy.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 PM

Everett, I've owned a Rainsong WS-1000 for sixteen years, and a Blackbird Lucky 13 for a few months. I love them both. The wife bought her CA Cargo (Peavey built) about two years now and likes the short 22.75" scale but still with a 1.75" nut width for fingerpicking. Cargo sounds WAY bigger than such a small body should.

CF tone is different, but I do not feel like I've given anything up in my quest for low maintenance and environmental durability. In fact, I am gravitating toward CF only. The only wood guitar which is 100% safe is my all-koa Taylor 424, so I will always have one that needs humidifying.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I bought my first carbon fiber guitar (a limited edition RainSong Shorty) for "the ease" of traveling through, and spending time in, different climates. The first strum took my breath away... love the sound. It doesn't sound "woody," it has its own voice.

I bought my most recent carbon fiber guitar (an Emerald X7 OS) based on size and comfort. It also sounds great. This is the most comfortable guitar I own (or have owned).

I have been playing guitar for over 50 years; I currently own wood and carbon fiber... but, I don't expect to be buying any more wood guitars in the future. Yeah, for me, the CF is that good.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Thank you all for the input. This will provide me with a good starting point for seeking out things to play. Sounds like there are a lot of good options. I'm sure once I get to play a few, I'll have a better sense of what works for me.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Everett, I've owned a Rainsong WS-1000 for sixteen years, and a Blackbird Lucky 13 for a few months. I love them both. The wife bought her CA Cargo (Peavey built) about two years now and likes the short 22.75" scale but still with a 1.75" nut width for fingerpicking. Cargo sounds WAY bigger than such a small body should.

CF tone is different, but I do not feel like I've given anything up in my quest for low maintenance and environmental durability. In fact, I am gravitating toward CF only. The only wood guitar which is 100% safe is my all-koa Taylor 424, so I will always have one that needs humidifying.
Each of my small collection of guitars serves a specific want for me. The only quality wood guitar I have ever owned is my '02 Taylor 814c (no barn door, a Baggs Anthem) bought new. It's my favorite body shape, a keeper and I don't expect to buy any more wood guitars. I bought my '08 CA Cargo new as a durable travel guitar (replaced an '06 Baby Taylor that got smashed...glad it did!), but it is much more than that. It's a keeper. My Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck satisfied my want for a 12 string and curiousity about what it would be like to use both necks in some songs. It's lightweight, ergonomic design is a game changer...a wood doubleneck can't compete. It's great fun. It's a keeper. My want for an electric is satisfied by my '02 Strat '57 Reissue (replaced my vintage '58 Strat that I had decided to sell). All my needs and wants are met. If I do buy another acoustic in the future, it will be a CF 6 string, perhaps an Emerald X20, a Blackbird in ekoa, or a Rainsong, but only if the latter two come out with a model that appeals to me...neither does yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber