The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-31-2016, 06:33 AM

Lightbulb Predictions for 2017 CF Manufacturers

Hi Everyone,

It is that time of year again and would love to hear what was exciting to you in CF guitars and what you would like to see in 2017!!!

I'll kick it off with the teasing from Joe at Blackbird. I would love to see a eKoa size Lucky 13 to complement the jumbo he now makes.... One with the amazing tobacco burst he now offers for the El Captain. It would be a stunner... love the open head stock but understand if he went with a more conventional solid headstock to save costs and hit a more affordable price point.

What do you think???? Here's to a GREAT 2017!!! May we all get the guitars we aspire to (not the ones we deserve... :-) ).

Chris
Old 12-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

For me to be interested in a Blackbird, I would hope for a burst ekoa in a GA bodystyle with cutaway, and a solid headstock provided the weight doesn't cause imbalance. I would accept an open headstock, but not of the current design which I don't like at all.

I'm looking forward to Emerald's announcement of their "Select" series coming in January.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Probably not what you're asking, but I'm predicting I'm gonna buy my second CF...
Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 AM

I would like to see an ekoa L 13 and a newly redesigned Emerald X 10.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I predict there will be some wood guitar fans who discover what carbon fiber brings to the table.

I have a dream: one day, wood guitar players and carbon fiber guitar players will come together, hold hands, and sing in harmony. Of course, it is hard to play when you're holding hands with someone else. Digressing. When that day arrives they will all be known as: guitar players.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Guest 928

I would like to see some CF maker move into the electric guitar market, preferably a thin, hollow-bodied instrument akin to a Danelectro U2.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
For me to be interested in a Blackbird, I would hope for a burst ekoa in a GA bodystyle with cutaway, and a solid headstock provided the weight doesn't cause imbalance. I would accept an open headstock, but not of the current design which I don't like at all.
The El Capitan is shaped like a big Gibson jumbo, but it is much closer to a GA body size when you meet it in person - it is smaller than it looks in photos. I agree with you on the headstock too - an unslotted paddle would be simpler to make and more conventional. The convoluted headstock El Cap has now is not so bad in person, but I'd rather have a paddle head. The headstock probably needs to be hollow to keep the weight distribution right, but I think that is normal anyway for all the other CF guitars out there. My Lucky 13 headstock is definitely hollow, because there is a sound port above the nut.

As for a cutaway, I play up the neck to the 14th and 17th fret all the time. I do not miss having a cutaway on the Lucky 13 because there is no neck heel. I can reach up that high just about as easily as with a cutaway on most guitars.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Holy schnike! I had no idea Blackbird was able to do a burst!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 11:47 AM

I am wishing for more parlor or just slotted headstock guitars!!!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baopham View Post
I am wishing for more parlor or just slotted headstock guitars!!!
How's this for a new-age slotted headstock design available on both nylon and steel string.....by Emerald

Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm actually considering that for mine

Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM

A Journey OF660 in satin burst.

Oh, and a better US to Canadian exchange rate to make guitars more affordable.....the dollar is killing us right now
Old 12-31-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I asked my wife if I should get a slotted headstock or the standard on my Emerald and showed her the pictures, and after saying "What...you are getting another carbon fiber guitar?"...[emoji2] ....she said she liked the slotted headstock better...just her personal aesthetic.

The picture shown in this thread shows the slotted headstock which I think looks the best. There is a picture of another guitar on their website which also has a slotted head which I do not think looks as good as this one.

Todd in Chicago

Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
A Journey OF660 in satin burst.

Oh, and a better US to Canadian exchange rate to make guitars more affordable.....the dollar is killing us right now
Man, ya got that right! As Canadians who winter in SW Florida, my wife and I certainly feel it. We're just thankful that we set ourselves up down there in 2012 when our dollar was at par. Not to get political, but we suspect our dollar will fall even more following the incoming U.S. government administration.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Guest 928

The guitar pictured looks like my X10-OSN, other than the pre-amp. While the guitar generally receives a lot of attention, the aspect that most amazes guitar aficionados is the offset on the tuners--it's subtle and innovative. The best thing is that guitar plays and sounds like a dream.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber