The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-13-2004, 07:11 AM

Default RAINSONG Opinions Please

"I Am Curious (Graphite)"

I like the idea and have heard really nice things about the sound, etc.

I don't like the "shark" inlays (looks more like "sardines" hehehe) and that rosette is over the top.

Anyhow I am wondering about the all-graphite and the graphite over laminated mahogany "Projection" series.

Comments????
Old 04-13-2004, 07:16 AM

IMHO, the sound is no different from Ovation...
What I don't understand is why some will praise Rainsong, and at the same time criticize Ovation?
It's practically the same guitar except for Ovation's Roundback...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:24 AM

Joe, I've played a few Rainsongs and CAs (Composite Acoustic). My take on them is that they have HUGE sound - much like a jumbo or a revoiced dread, and not at all like an Ovation. I A/B'd one with a Taylor jumbo (I think it was a 315) last year. I thought they were pretty darned close with one big exception. I don't know how to say it without it coming across cheesy - the Rainsong had all the sound, but lacked the "soul". The guy who was with me actually prefered the Rainsong because it didn't have that "woody" sound.

I would love to have one for all the outdoor and high-humidity places I play (youth retreats at "rustic" camps, etc.). But for sitting down at home, I'll take the "woody" sound, thank you.

Overall, I find them well-made instruments with huge, balanced sound and lots of projection. They don't sound like a wooden guitar, though.

--jam
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
I would love to have one for all the outdoor and high-humidity places I play (youth retreats at "rustic" camps, etc.). But for sitting down at home, I'll take the "woody" sound, thank you.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. They make a slender Jumbo sorta like my new Martin M, so I will probably see if I can find one to try out. Thanks. I like that "woody tone" too.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:57 AM

I personally owned a WS-1000 Rainsong and loved it. I actually chose it over a 614ce and a Guild F47-MCE. I wish I had enough money to keep it & my others as it was a great Michigan guitar.
For me, the big turnoff was the shark inlays and the carbon fibre top ( I would think they could paint the top a solid black & it would look better IMO).
As far as the carbon mated with mahogany, my concern would be that the 2 wouldn't move in unison during climate & humidity changes which could be met with disastrous results like all the Ovations you see with large top cracks.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:23 AM

I was in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and stopped in at Gruhn Guitars. What a place! Anyway, the guy I was talking to actually prefered the CA over the Rainsong. I played a couple and really liked them. The neck reminds me much more of the chunkier Martin, but very playable. I have played Rainsongs and like them, too. I would suggest playing both. If you are turned off with the sharks, I tend to agree, I would look hard at the CA. They have a beautiful sunburst top on one that is really hard to describe.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I have a Rainsong dread and I really like it. It has a loud, bright, shimmery tone that sustains forever. I keep it on a guitar stand out in my living room- it's great to have a nice guitar at arm's reach that isn't subject to humidity changes. I also use it as a travel guitar-- too big to carry on but I've checked it 20+ times and never had a problem. It usually doesn't even come out of tune! It is a bit gaudy, but... oh well.
One thing I've noticed is that the neck is more flexible than a wooden neck and that if I'm pulling back on it while playing (barre chords, etc.) it pulls the strings slightly sharp. I'm glad I have my 714ce as a main instrument- but the Rainsong makes a great low-stress second instrument. I'd stick with the all-carbon design though.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:37 AM

My experience with them wasn't good! This guitar was the most unplayable guitar I have ever tried to play! The action was so high, that the saddle was leaning forward (toward the neck) from all the string tension! The saddle need to come down at least an 1/8 ". The neck was also in need of a serious truss rod adjustment, and guess what....... no truss rod becuase they say it will never need adjusting! I've heard good things about them, so maybe this was a lemon..

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-13-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH
I was in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and stopped in at Gruhn Guitars. What a place! Anyway, the guy I was talking to actually prefered the CA over the Rainsong. I played a couple and really liked them. The neck reminds me much more of the chunkier Martin, but very playable. I have played Rainsongs and like them, too. I would suggest playing both. If you are turned off with the sharks, I tend to agree, I would look hard at the CA. They have a beautiful sunburst top on one that is really hard to describe.
Mark, what's a "CA"??

OOPS nevermind, I did a Google search.

Last edited by meridian; 04-13-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:38 AM

Wow, I was going to ask this same question today. I have played a graphite guitar at my local music shop. It wasn't a Rainsong, it was some other brand. Anyway, It sounded pretty good. I have owned a few Ovations in my time, and although they also sounded good, my last one was a Custom Legend, I dideventually miss the woody tone.

I doubt I will ever get a Rainsong Jumbo, although it is tempting. I just really love the sound of wood.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:44 AM

Sorry Joe. I thought it was mentioned in another post before mine.

I would love to have one or the other, but the guitar budget is highly taxed right now and I do have my eye on a 310 Koa.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:11 AM

I tried a Rainsong WS1000 about two years ago and was blown away by the one I played in the store. The tone was beautiful and I really liked the idea of a guitar that was resistant to weather. I bought one second hand but it never lived up to the one I played in the store and I sold it some months later. I still like them, but I'd play the one I was going to buy if I did it again.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM

I tried them, but was more impressed by the Adamas carbon fiber top. Better projection, better tone, great electronics, and a MUCH better neck (IMO). Taylor lovers will love the neck. I ended up buying it. W-597, check one out.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 04-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Joe, don't you have enough guitars already??

This is going to sound weird, but my impression is that Rainsongs are too good. That is, the tone is a little too precise, like a laser-cut sculpture compared one that's carved by hand. I find that they're impressive when there are no high quality wooden guitars around, but kind of sterile in direct comparison.

As an all-weather and/or second guitar I think they're fine, but as a first guitar, not so much.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:38 PM

The guitar store where I take lessons is a Rain Song dealer and I always play them while I am there. If I wanted to spend the money I would get two. One 6 string and one 12 string. I would use them as my travel guitars.

They sound great. They are loud. Like one of the posters said they are a little soulless compared to a wood guitar.

Since they are carbon fibre I would probably get them painted buy a custom paint shop.

Next time I want to drop 3 to 4 thousand on a pair I might do it.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber