The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Guitarist - Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
That is offensively beautiful! Congratulations my friend!
Trying to read-through/catch-up on this thread...and then *this* appeared.

Too funny.

Yes, like Michael, I am also offended by the beauty of the guitar...and now I'll post this, and keep reading through the thread...video? That's what the title says!

Larry Pattis on Pandora and Spotify
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists
Old 11-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful demo, Brian!! I like your conversation throughout.....fun to listen to your thoughts in real time. Also, marvelous right hand technique!!
Have fun with you new baby.........stunning in all ways!

Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy-LS Redwood/Cocobolo
2014 Bamburg FSC-Carpathian Spruce/Macassar Ebony

www.soundcloud.com/island-guitar
Old 11-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Brian...

That sounds and looks amazing, and of course your playing brings out the best of any instrument! Thanks for taking the time to share.

http://matthewweston.zenfolio.com
Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 AM
I like nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Trying to read-through/catch-up on this thread...and then *this* appeared.

Too funny.

Yes, like Michael, I am also offended by the beauty of the guitar...and now I'll post this, and keep reading through the thread...video? That's what the title says!

My apologies, Larry! The videos are hidden on page 3 of the thread, here's a copy of said post:

Just for y'all! These were shot on my crappy iphone, so sorry about the "headless guitarist" syndrome. Hard drive space is tight, so I had to keep the clips short. Audio isn't the best - decent headphones highly recommended. Enough apologies, though! Hope some of the personality comes across!

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Guitarist - Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
My apologies, Larry! The videos are hidden on page 3 of the thread, here's a copy of said post:

Just for y'all! These were shot on my crappy iphone, so sorry about the "headless guitarist" syndrome. Hard drive space is tight, so I had to keep the clips short. Audio isn't the best - decent headphones highly recommended. Enough apologies, though! Hope some of the personality comes across!

Oh, it's no problem...I found the videos...as I said, I was trying to digest the entirety of the thread in one sitting, and I paused to respond to Mr. Watts' post...it was *too* funny...then I went on to find/enjoy the videos.

Congrats on the Circa...John Slobod, as many of us know, is right up there at the pinnacle...!

Larry Pattis on Pandora and Spotify
LarryPattis.com
American Guitar Masters

Steel-string guitars by Tom Rein
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists
Old 11-27-2016, 03:11 PM
I like nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I think Michael's Kostal MDW may have just been supplanted in "the most incredibly beautiful guitar I've ever seen" stakes.
I'm a sucker for dead straight, fine, tight flame. Wow.

Let's hear you play it Brian!
Oh, not even! Mr. Watts and I will have to share the honors...at least until Former Foodie's Maple OM is completed. The first thing I thought after taking it out of the case and just holding it in my hands was, simply: "Oh...Wow...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh
Brian, You Rock!

Couldn't agree more with you. Usual template is loads of build pics, a lot of anticipation, perhaps a pic or two once it's arrived, then...tumbleweed. For a lot of folk it seems the journey is maybe more important than where you get to?

Accepting that it's YouTube or whatever, hearing the guitar is a major plus to these threads and perhaps the most important single item. I guess some folks get put off because they're not great players, but thankfully your chops are way up there so you can't use that excuse!

Really appreciated your vids and hope you two have a long and productibe future together.
Glad to hear you enjoyed them, Steve! The audio leaves more than a little to be desired, but truthfully...who *really* cares? The real journey started when I first opened the case . . I've got A LOT more journeying ahead of me with this thing!

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 PM
I like nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Not sure what John did. I seem to remember him discussing braces being a little taller than normal but not as tall as he had done on some other guitars, but in the end he's the builder and I'm simply the customer/player. It's his choice how he wants to build and voice a particular instrument of his based on a tone he's after for a particular owner or instrument, not mine.

I'd be fooling myself if I pretended to know 1% of what he does in any of those regards, so my input there is pretty much moot. I have learned over the years to let a builder BUILD THEIR INSTRUMENTS, otherwise you're likely to end up with something you will not be happy with.

I have owned a few of John's instruments before and have played many others, so I was very familiar with his signature tone. So, my input was centered around aesthetics and wood types that would give me a certain edge/color to his tone... and having played 3 other maple/Euro guitars from John, I knew that was the combination I wanted on my instrument.
That's great, Mike. I'm a fairly nonchalant guy with these types of things and can wholly relate to your style of commissioning an instrument. It's a nice feeling. I've noticed when people are more *ahem* "hands-on" with their builder it's often a result of fear, inexperience and perceived risk management. That's potent little cocktail and can encourage insufferable behavior.

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-27-2016, 03:24 PM
I like nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Nice playing, very nice sounding guitar!
Thank you, Randall! I miss hearing/seeing that Mahogany 00c of yours! Hope it inspires for a lifetime . . . or several!

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had much time for recording but the 00 is still getting played a lot. I have another build coming up with John very soon. 7/8 dreadnought, Panamanian rosewood, more details to come.
Your guitar is a looker for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/user/teleplucker?feature=mhum
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 PM

From the sound of your clips, it seems to me like these guys just aren't building maple guitars like they used to!!

Can't wait to try out my maple Greven 0000 next month!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop