The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Very nice looking maple guitar. Fit and finish look practically flawless for all human purposes, and if it sounds as good as it looks (of which I have little doubt) it will be a keeper indeed.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Congrats... if it sounds like mine, it's a keeper.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 11-11-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Congrats... if it sounds like mine, it's a keeper.
Thanks, Mike! It's an all-around beautiful sounding guitar. Congrats on yours! Did you go with the tall "X"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Very nice looking maple guitar. Fit and finish look practically flawless for all human purposes, and if it sounds as good as it looks (of which I have little doubt) it will be a keeper indeed.
I cannot believe the fit and finish on this thing! Particularly where the back braces fit into the kerfling - I can't stop looking at it. it's just so absurdly clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
Thats gorgeous. I can't get enough of the clips Stuart Ryan posts on YouTube with his maple and german OOO. Will we get to hear your OO???
Absolutely! I'm spending lot's of time getting to know it currently, but I'll certainly be recording this one formally as well as a few casual ones specifically for the AGF! I'm a HUGE fan of Stuart and his 000, though it was playing Al Petteway's old 00 that served as the motivator for attempting to acquire one of these little monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Wow your 00 is amazing, Brian. Looks like John totally spoiled you with fantastic looking woods all around.

I love how the figure in the neck matches the body.

I also think maple might be a good fit with your playing and really look forward to hearing your recordings.

A fine guitar for a fine player.

Congrats!
You're too kind, Mau! It goes without saying at this point that your playing and recordings are quite the inspiration for me. This one's personality surprised me quite a bit. I'm looking forward to recording it. Thrilled, in fact. For now, I'm just taking it easy - we're still getting to know each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... a big, splendid WOW!
Thanks so much, Kerbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Pretty sure I can confidently say that's the sickest Maple OO I've ever seen!!! ����
I can't disagree with this! I was recovering from a cold when this one landed...surprised I didnt catch full blown pneumonia upon opening the case. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Dude. Those pics are amazing!

And I bet you it will sound as good as it looks (or better!)!

I have an OM (adi/maple) guitar with John in the pipeline and I'm absolutely having a tough time waiting with all these build pics!!

I can't wait to hear a more detailed report after you play it!

Thanks for sharing the pics!
I'll most certainly be writing a detailed report of this one! Vids, too! Adi/Maple OM?! You're a brave man! If anyone can pull it off, it's most certainly -without question- John. I think I can confidently say, I'm almost as excited to see that one as you are! Have you decided on other specs? Cutaway, bindings, bridge, bracing, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Beautiful.
Thanks, bho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That is totally, utterly, and in all other ways . . . Sick.
There's not enough flu shots in the world to stop this thing from being sick. I love it dearly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
WOW! Beautiful flamed maple, and I love how John uses maple necks as well. I also really love the binding. Congrats!
Agreed on all counts. John did an outstanding job with the specs on this one. A maple neck is certainly a bold choice for an acoustic. Glad John has the confidence to try it, and the skill/experience to "nail" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Beautiful guitar... John's Sycamore Maple 00s are consistently fantastic guitars. CONGRATS!
Thanks so much! I've been rocking my ii V i's lately and this thing is responding with much aplomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Very beautiful. Congratulations.
Thanks, Haasome!

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-11-2016, 01:19 AM

I'm still spending time getting to know this one, but I'll give some thoughts soon. In short? Tonally, it's magnificent and the playability is sublime. In the meantime, here are some John shots:

Julius Borges
Nick Kukich
John Slobod
Old 11-11-2016, 03:34 AM

I never liked plastic on guitars but this Circa is the exception. It just looks so tasteful!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Killer Guitar! Congrats on the new acquisition. Can hardly wait to get my Circa next year.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

That's lovely -- enjoy it.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Dude, I love the rosette! I'm assuming that (and the headstock) are cocobolo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Stuart and his 000, though it was playing Al Petteway's old 00 that served as the motivator for attempting to acquire one of these little monsters.
Yeah, that 00 is the stuff of legend. The sound clips I heard of that thing are amazing. It's one of many reasons I commissioned a guitar with John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I'll most certainly be writing a detailed report of this one! Vids, too! Adi/Maple OM?! You're a brave man! If anyone can pull it off, it's most certainly -without question- John. I think I can confidently say, I'm almost as excited to see that one as you are! Have you decided on other specs? Cutaway, bindings, bridge, bracing, etc?
I basically want it to be a kissing cousin of my other Circa: OM-28 adi/braz. With the exception of some cosmetic appointments, I told John I'd go 'omakase' on this. In John I trust.

Bridge is a pyramid bridge. No cutaway. Super awesome flamey maple neck (like yours!). Bindings - probably going with wood (cocobolo? koa? other?). Up to John if he wants to go the full monty vintage and use bar frets like my other Circa. No banjo tuners. I love the rosette on your guitar and curiously enough, specified something like that as one of the options. We haven't gotten to the point where we finalized everything as many of the decisions interact with each other.

All these Circa posts only increase my anxiousness for my future build! Also, earlier in the week, I developed the crazy idea of possibly seeking a third Circa OM - adi/hog so that I could have all three flavors... I have got to stop visiting the AGF!

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing!
Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 AM

I love figured maple. Flamed, quilted, it's all good. That's a beautiful guitar. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Dr. Strangelove

Everybody with the killer maple lately! A maple renaissance, perhaps.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

That is offensively beautiful! Congratulations my friend!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Maple(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Everybody with the killer maple lately! A maple renaissance, perhaps.
That is why I started this thread back in 2015:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=391216

Maple(s) are absolutely fantastic tonewoods that are unfairly stereotyped in my opinion. When they are used by those skilled in the art can be made into a truly superlative guitars! Perhaps a new thread featuring all the fabulous luthier made maple guitars is in order?
Old 11-13-2016, 04:04 AM

That's really a good thing, maple becoming more popular (again?). I recently play a lot of Tommy Emmanuel tunes and they sound best on a maple guitar (he usually plays maple Matons).
Old 11-13-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
That is offensively beautiful! Congratulations my friend!
I think Michael's Kostal MDW may have just been supplanted in "the most incredibly beautiful guitar I've ever seen" stakes.
I'm a sucker for dead straight, fine, tight flame. Wow.

Let's hear you play it Brian!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-13-2016, 04:00 PM

Hi Brian--Do you know what type of maple John used for your guitar? It looks a lot like Euro maple, which often has that kind of beautifully even flame and is a bit lighter in weight--and can have a slightly airier tone--than some of the heavier North American species, like sugar maple. Beautiful instrument! --R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop