The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 PM

Default Emerald X7 and CA Cargo

I have a Cargo, and love it. Big sound for a small guitar, and comfortable to play. But I've been looking at an X7 and the reviews here have been really good.

My question is, will an X7 be about the same guitar as the Cargo in terms of size and sound? Anybody have both? Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 AM

The main difference to me is the scale length: 24 inches on the X7 make a difference if you have good sized hands. The X7 sounds loud and balanced, the Cargo sound warmer with more bass, but in my very personal opinion a bit muddy compared to the X7. If you plan to get the X7 and keep the Cargo, that would be a good idea, you would have two different tonal palettes on hand.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 AM

I was trying to decide between the Cargo and X7 and
gathered the following specs on both guitars to help in my choice.

........................Cargo.............X7
Overall length......34.978"...........34"
Body Length.........16.75"............16.5"
Body Depth..........3.685"............3.75"
Lower Bout..........13.328"..........13.5"
Scale..................22.829"...........24"
Nut width.............1.75"..............1.75"
Fret at Body.........14................14
Total Frets............21................20
Both Guitars equipped with stainless steel frets

I was only able to play the Cargo and really liked the body size.
Comparing the specs, the Cargo and X7 are almost the same size.
I did not care for the 22.829" scale of the Cargo, so I took a chance and ordered the X7 in hopes I'll like the longer 24" scale.
I was also influenced by the many positive reviews that I have read about the X7.
The Cargo also had barn door electronics.
I was able to order K&K mini instead of BD electronics for my X7.
I anticipate the wait will be worth it and hopefully my X7 will arrive very soon.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM

I bet that you will be very happy with the X7. Not only it sounds great and has an unexpected good low end in addition to nice trebles, it is built so well: the fret board is a masterpiece and every detail is perfect, no flaws.
On my X7 I put all mediums (it comes with light mediums) and it plays great.
I also put a bone saddle, in my opinion there was an improvement but it sounds great also with the factory Tusq saddle.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMar View Post
I have a Cargo, and love it. Big sound for a small guitar, and comfortable to play. But I've been looking at an X7 and the reviews here have been really good.

My question is, will an X7 be about the same guitar as the Cargo in terms of size and sound? Anybody have both? Thanks
I have had both... a gorgeous woody x7 and a Cargo raw. They are both amazing guitars but very different I found in sound. IMHO .. The Cargo was much warmer and better for strumming and the X7 was a finger pickers delight with wonderful sustain and note separation.

Ergonomically the X7 was wonderful and visually stunning ... I found the cargo sound wise much more satisfying... given my playing style...

Also the scale and necks are very different... Cargo is low profile ..very thin and easy to play...where as the X7 a little fatter but still easy to play...

I have changed my position on neck radius... used to like very thin and low profile necks but Rainsong N2 has changed by mind on that and now gotten used to it.

your milage may vary....

Chris
Old 10-12-2016, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I was trying to decide between the Cargo and X7 and
gathered the following specs on both guitars to help in my choice.

........................Cargo.............X7
Overall length......34.978"...........34"
Body Length.........16.75"............16.5"
Body Depth..........3.685"............3.75"
Lower Bout..........13.328"..........13.5"
Scale..................22.829"...........24"
Nut width.............1.75"..............1.75"
Fret at Body.........14................14
Total Frets............21................20
Both Guitars equipped with stainless steel frets

I was only able to play the Cargo and really liked the body size.
Comparing the specs, the Cargo and X7 are almost the same size.
I did not care for the 22.829" scale of the Cargo, so I took a chance and ordered the X7 in hopes I'll like the longer 24" scale.
I was also influenced by the many positive reviews that I have read about the X7.
The Cargo also had barn door electronics.
I was able to order K&K mini instead of BD electronics for my X7.
I anticipate the wait will be worth it and hopefully my X7 will arrive very soon.
When did the Cargo get barn door electronics? I have a couple of original CA Guitars Cargos and none have this. I had K & K pickups installed in them.

Do the newer Peavey Cargos have barn door electronics?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-12-2016, 04:51 AM

The new Cargo I tried about 2 months ago, at a music store 90 miles from me, had barn door electronics (L.R. Baggs).
Carbon Fiber guitars are rare in my area. At the present time and to my knowledge, CA is the only brand that is carried and only two CA guitars were available at this music store, the Cargo and a GX. I didn't try the GX because I was only interested in a small body guitar.
If K&K is/was available for the Cargo, I was not aware of it at the time. Even if it was, the Cargo's short scale was the main reason I did not taking it home.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
The new Cargo I tried about 2 months ago, at a music store 90 miles from me, had barn door electronics (L.R. Baggs).
Carbon Fiber guitars are rare in my area. At the present time and to my knowledge, CA is the only brand that is carried and only two CA guitars were available at this music store, the Cargo and a GX. I didn't try the GX because I was only interested in a small body guitar.
If K&K is/was available for the Cargo, I was not aware of it at the time. Even if it was, the Cargo's short scale was the main reason I did not taking it home.
I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a K&K as a stock option on any production guitar. They have always been aftermarket.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a K&K as a stock option on any production guitar. They have always been aftermarket.
Unless Peavey is installing them now, I would agree with your statement. Mine were aftermarket installed.

As for the "barn door electronics", I have never liked these. Both of my Taylors have three knobs, and that is about as far as I would like to go with electronics hanging off an acoustic guitar. A lot of people like the barn door, so it really is just a matter of personal taste rather than some universal right or wrong. There have been a number of threads on this over the years.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-12-2016, 08:34 AM

Hey guys,

Here is some information which we hope you will find useful.

We have moved away from 'barn door electronics' and now offer the LR Baggs Element Active System - VTC as an upgrade on the X7 Opus and as standard on an X7 Artisan. The volume and tone controls are neatly tucked into the sound hole (See photo).

X7 Opus (Lrb)_19 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

We are, however, very flexible and also offer custom pickup installations through our Emerald Custom Shop http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=d2cb7bbc0d23. We have installed quite a few K&K Minis into our X7s and X20s, so these are of course available to anyone who wishes to have one!

Best Wishes

Sean

Last edited by Emerald Guitars; 10-12-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It presently is not advertised as a stock option at Emerald Guitars, but when I was talking to Alistair about my X7 Artisan order, he mentioned they had used K&K mini in the past, that it's a nice simply system and the K&k mini install was an option for my X7 Artisan if I wanted it.

I've only communicated with Sean and Alistair at Emerald Guitar and we discussed a number of different available custom options. IMHO you'd be hard-pressed trying to find another composite guitar builder as accommodating as Emerald Guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber