The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-22-2016, 03:54 AM

Default Is an Emerald X-7 suitable as a primary gigging guitar?

Hi I'm trying to figure out if an X-7 would be suitable for me.
Im looking for a main gigging guitar. (I have a feeling it may be too small for me though)

Mostly solo. I do pure country old classic country and Honky Tonk.

Primarily it would be plugged in. So I'm really keen to know how they handle aloud stage, their plugged in sound etc.

At this point I'm looking at Emerald because I love the woody top. The X-20 is out of my budget. Well so is an X-7 woody but I could probably stretch for if it would suit.

Cheers
Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 AM

I take it you've not had a chance to try an X7, nor have I.
Is there a CA Cargo available in your area that you might be able to try ?

I have tried CA Cargo and if you compare the specs, the X7 and Cargo are almost identical in size. The most noticeable size difference being scale length.
The CA Cargo being 22.829" and the X7 is 24".
I liked the overall size of the Cargo but not the scale length, and ordered my X7 based on trying the Cargo for size and reading the many positive reviews on the X7.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:46 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Mischief, hopefully Captain Jim will chime-in and even if he does, you may want to also search and read his posts about his satisfaction with an X7, including gigging with it. Here's one: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=428702

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-22-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Mischief, hopefully Captain Jim will chime-in and even if he does, you may want to also search and read his posts about his satisfaction with an X7, including gigging with it. Here's one: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=428702

Thanks. I'll check that out.

I'm in Australia so trying any carbon guitar is not likely. On a side note I'm likely relocating
Back to Canada in a few years so I think carbon would be ideal to deal with dry winters and massive temperature changes.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Yep, I am a fan of the X7. It is a small guitar that doesn't feel, play, or sound small. It has a very pleasant balanced sound acoustically, really kicks when plugged in. Mine has the B-Band pickup, but I understand Emerald has gone with the LR Baggs now. No experience with that.

Would it make a good gigging guitar? Sure. But, I feel that way about any of my guitars, wood and carbon fiber. My X7 with the B-Band has not been "fussy" when plugged in. I enjoy each of my guitars, but the X7 is the most comfortable, in terms of ergonomics... the curves, arm rest bevel, and general shape is a great fit for me.

For the record, I bought the X7 for the size (traveling by RV/boat) - perfect for my use, really nice gig bag. While price matters, I wouldn't go with an X7 instead of an X20 based on price... especially if you like a bigger guitar. I have no experience with an X20, but based on my time with the X7, I would expect the X20 to be louder, more full, more bass. I think there are participants here who have had both and would be able to offer some hands-on perspective.

The Emerald woodies are sharp-looking. It was a photo of an X20 woody that convinced me to get in touch with Sean from Emerald, inquiring about something similar on an X7. Timing for an order didn't work with our schedule, and I bought an X7 Opus they had ready to go. Absolutely no regrets - the workmanship is gorgeous, and I do like the CF weave.

Carbon fiber, to me, is "another choice." Not better than, or less than, wood. My two CF guitars have a unique sound, just like each of my wood guitars. For traveling, I really appreciate what carbon fiber brings. For playing out, I am comfortable with either. I can't say that an X7 would be the right guitar for you, but it sure works for me.

Good luck with the decisions,
Jim
Old 09-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Thanks. I'll check that out.

I'm in Australia so trying any carbon guitar is not likely. On a side note I'm likely relocating
Back to Canada in a few years so I think carbon would be ideal to deal with dry winters and massive temperature changes.
I'm Canadian and spend the winters in SW Florida. I take my Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck with me down south. CF is great, trouble-free in any environment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber