The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default From Gibson folk guitar to Blackbird El Capitan

Members of the AGF….

My excitement has built into a crescendo as within the next two weeks I expect to take delivery of a brand new Deluxe Blackbird El Capitan. I know folks in this forum deal with a LOT of movement in their guitar collection, and invest in instruments many times the price of an El Cap, but this is absolutely huge for me, and in anyone’s book surely not an inexpensive guitar. This has caused me to reflect back on my history with guitars; where I started and how I got to where I am now, which I thought I would share with this community. I’m sure my history may resonate with some of you. Here’s my journey from a vintage Gibson acoustic to as state-of-the art Ekoa Blackbird El Capitan.

My story starts back I think (not exactly sure) when I was in my junior year in college, which must have been around 1985 or so. I was into listening to mostly hard rock, metal, and classic rock at that point. I do remember that in my mind, 2 guitars ruled the universe at that time; a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. At the time, I remember both of those guitars being out of my reach financially, and I personally heavily gravitated towards the Gibson Les Paul (Jimmy Page and Zep were my jam!)

Parts of my early story are not exactly clear, due to em….well…you know…. I was in college….ahem…. ;-) Parts of the latter part of my story may weave a bit, but now that’s because I’m old....or I prefer “vintage”.

Somehow around 1985 I got the idea that I wanted to learn how to play guitar, and looked for a guitar for sale. Back in those days, there was no Internet (or at least not like we know it today), and I believe I somehow found a guitar for sale via the university’s bulletin board. I called the person and went to the their house to look at the guitar. It was a Gibson “folk” guitar from the 1960’s. It was pretty well used, but sounded ok and I think I paid like $40 or $50 for it. Yay! I had my first guitar. From what I can tell about it now looking on the net, it appeared to be a 1960’s era Gibson LG0. About the only thing I can remember trying to play on that guitar was Stairway to Heaven (don’t judge!). I really don’t remember what else I tried to play on that guitar. This pic was grabbed from the web and sure looks very similar if not the same to the guitar that I owned.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

At some point, I decided I should take lessons and ended up signing up for them at university I was attending. How cool was that! I got to learn to play guitar and get credit to boot! * Woot!* But I realized that this would be a longer tougher road, as the school only offered classical guitar lessons. So I bought a 1985 Epiphone Classical guitar with nylon strings to add to my now “collection” of guitars.

Learning classical guitar would be challenging as the material is not what a college student listening to heavy metal would be all that interested in playing (despite its influence on some players at the time such as Randy Rhoads), and the whole concept of using your fingers instead of a pick was pretty new to me.

But I did learn how to read music…..sort of (I can no longer), and learned the importance of nail care and a structured practice regime. I think I took two semesters of that, and found out I don’t think I had the patience for that type of learning and the whole classical take on guitar.

This pic is not of my Epiphone, but sure looks like it could be (grabbed from web).

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I think around that time I thought a 12 string would be cool and bought a used Yamaha 12 string from a tiny store in Palos Hills, IL where I grew up called Hidden Music.

Jon at Hidden Music was great, and would always let you come in and noodle around on the guitars, let you put some money down on a guitar and make payments, or do a trade-in, or even take something in on consignment.

I would end up spending much time in his shop looking at all the cool guitars and coveting (early GAS?).

I remember really digging the sound of that 12 string I bought, but also found it was harder to play, keeping all the strings down on the frets.

This Yamaha pic was not mine, but one I snagged from the web which seems close to what I had….I think.

I remember going to Hidden Music and a few other music stores and seeing a guitar that I would want, and then scheming on how I could gather the money to buy the “obsession” guitar.

I think this is described as GAS on this forum…LOL. I dabbled in guitar on and off, and I believe sometime around 1987 I traded in my Yamaha 12 string and my Gibson “folk” guitar and bought a brand new 1987 Seagull “Minstrel” from Jon at Hidden Music.

This seemed like a really nice guitar at the time, and pricey (to me). I think I spent $200 at the time.

This is an actual pic of my Seagull Minstrel….really great guitar.

I think shortly after that I got my first electric guitar (at least that I can remember) which was a Washburn G-5v. I grabbed this pic from the net, and mine looked just like this one, same sparkle blue color and all. The funny thing was, it seems like I should have had an electric before this one, but for the life of me cannot remember if I actually did, and if so what that was.

I dabbled on and off for another 2 years and eventually traded in my Washburn for a brand new 1989 Ibanez RG550 in Desert Yellow.

Whoa! This was like a real professional guitar! Superfast maple neck, low action, and their “edge” tremolo system. Wow, I would now be able to really and truly rock!

Hmm….what went wrong? I never got any better. The somewhat funny thing, is that through all of this, I never really learned to play guitar! I would putz around, and eventually took some electric guitar lessons from a friend that was in a band, but I would always try to play licks, and pieces of electric guitar lines, which when played by themselves were kind of useless and boring, especially to anyone around you listening.

And I never really understood music either, from a technical point of view.

Not my actual Ibanez, but grabbed from the net.

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Over the years my remaining 3 guitars (Ibanez electric, Seagull acoustic, and Epiphone Classical) would disappear into their cases and a closet or under a bed and then re-emerge every couple of years where I would attempt to pick up where I left off. I never got any better.

Sometime I think around 2012 or so, my mother (bless her heart) bought me a guitar as a surprise birthday gift. She was so proud to have found such a perfect gift! It was an Esteban “Celestial Night” guitar package from Home Shopping Network, complete with 12 DVD set featuring the mighty Esteban himself, and amp and other accessories. Rhinestones were set about the soundboard and headstock. Oh boy….how do you tell your beaming mother that you would never buy something like this in a million years and the 3 guitars you already had were way better than this….? You don’t. You say thank you and that you love it. .

About every 2 years or so, one of my guitars would make it out of the closet and out of its case where I would be play for a week or two before it would disappear into the closet again. By the way, my wife and I live in a small condo, and she was never happy that I owned 3 guitars that I never played taking up valuable space. I can also tell you that she was not amused when my mother added a 4th guitar to my collection. Not amused is probably an understatement. Again, not my actual Esteban, but one from the ether.

In meeting with my in-laws for the Thanksgiving holidays in 2015, my brother-in-law was telling me that he was thinking about getting a guitar and learning how to play, and I gave him some tips, and around Christmas time he picked up a Breedlove from a local Guitar Center. We don’t see each other very often so I kind of forgot about it.

In March of 2016, said brother-in-law came over unexpectedly for a visit. As we got to talking, he asked if I would pull out a guitar, to which I obliged. Soon, I had all 4 of my guitars out. In talking with my brother-in-law and playing a bit, my interest was ignited again. Since my brother-in-law had purchased a Breedlove acoustic, I decided I would focus on acoustic on this go. This time however, I found there was so much more material available for learning. I found I could learn a ton of stuff off of YouTube, and if there was a song you liked, you could more than likely find a “How to play song x on guitar” out there. Wow! This was really cool and exciting. I found several different things I wanted to learn and I was off and running.

This was a new perspective for me, being able to learn from the Internet was a huge boon. Also, this time around I decided to change my approach to learning (dabbling). This time I was going to focus on strumming, because it seemed to me that if you could strum some chords and were able to keep some type of rhythmic strumming, it would sound more like music than the single note runs I mostly learned. This approach combined with the info available on the Internet, I’ve progressed more in the last 5 months than in the last 30 years, and I’m having a real blast! And that’s including having found and joined this forum.

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Then GAS struck! Duh….

My wife never liked the idea of me having 4 guitars, especially since I hardly ever played them. But as I was getting better at strumming (sounds like real music), she liked hearing the guitar in the background. Once again, it was starting to sound like real music, instead of single notes.

So I concocted a scheme to get a new guitar. My goal was to get a new acoustic, as that was where my head was. So I made a deal with my wife that no matter what happened, I would get down to just 3 guitars. That approach seemed to work and I set about trying to figure out what I wanted.

Then I found it….an Epiphone EJ-200SCE. I would of course have preferred a Gibson J200, but that would seem crazy to spend that much on a guitar when I really still don’t’ know how to play. So I found a place (Chicago Music Exchange) that had one in stock, which was kind of difficult to do. I went in to play it and check it out I liked it and thought it was just what I was looking for, but I had to wait for a salesperson for a while, so I started to wander around. A few guitars to the left of the EJ-200SCE was a “real” Gibson guitar with some cool inlays…whoa….hey, I might as well pull it down and check it out while I was waiting. It was a used Guitar that was more than 3 times the price of the brand new Epiphone. But I sat down and tried it….and I had both guitars there on their couch and kept switching between the two. There was no doubt, the Gibson sounded better. I took some pictures of the EJ and some of the Gibson just for giggles. I then went home and was explaining the virtues of the new EJ to my wife (a.k.a. marketing… ;-) ) and then mentioned the Gibson. After looking at the pictures, she said she liked the Gibson better. I explained to her that it cost more…quite a bit more. “How much more?” Gulp….”Quite a bit more”…….”How much more?”….ok…a little more than 3 times the price of the Epiphone. She said, well if you like it, you should get that one. Holy smokes! I love that woman! So I went online and clicked on the “Make an offer” button and sent an offer in. The next day I received an email that my offer was accepted. Wow! I went in and picked up my ever so sweet and in super excellent condition (almost like new really) 1998 Gibson EC-20 Floret. Beautiful guitar and it sounded and played fantastic, the highest level of guitar that I’ve had to this point, and from a price perspective, totally eclipsed even my Ibanez electric. When I was checking out, they gave me an Oasis between the strings humidifier, and the guy was like “I’m going to include this for free because we want to make sure your guitar stays in good shape”. We had a quick talk about humidity and he put the fear of dryness in me. Holy cow! I’ve had my 3 main guitars for almost 30 years, kept in their cases in closets and under beds, and even kept out on stands in my condo for months at a time. Holy cow, I felt like I dodged a bullet my whole life! As I mentioned, I felt that my playing had improved and I was playing the best that I’ve played ever since I started dabbling some 30 years ago. This is a pic of my actual guitar (I didn’t actually take this pic, but it is of my actual guitar). Beautiful instrument.

The problem now however, was that I had to keep my promise and get down to 3 guitars, and had actually done the opposite because once I had the Gibson, I now had 5 guitars! And I really loved my Seagull, I mean I had that guitar for about 30 years….lots of memories.

But, one Saturday, I made the decision to get rid of it and uphold my end of the bargain. But wait, I had hatched a brilliant idea! In a bold move on a rainy Sunday, I cleaned up my Seagull…..and my Ibanez RG550! I was going to trade them in. I went back to the Chicago Music exchange, and dropped them off downstairs to be assessed. I had a laser focus, I wanted the electric guitar of my dreams…my grail. And I found it. A beautiful brand new 2016 Les Paul Traditional in Vintage Cherry Sunburst. Although I really loved my Seagull, once I made the decision, I never looked back. I was never really attached to the Ibanez which I had also bought new and had for about 30 years, and found out I could get a decent price for it, I guess that one held its value pretty good. Between those two trade-ins, I was able to add some cash and walk out with my grail electric. That Les Paul will never leave me.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

So, that left me in possession of a Gibson EC-20 floret, Gibson Les Paul, Esteban acoustic, and my Epiphone classical. We would be going on vacation in July to Telluride Colorado, like we do every year. I thought, boy, I really would miss playing, so on a whim I called a music shop and asked if they rented guitars, and I was surprised that they did.

Cool! I would be able to practice while on vacay! Somehow, I started thinking that maybe it would be better if I had a travel guitar. Why would I think that? I’m not really sure, but I then had major GAS. I do remember that the music store in Telluride carried these Martin “Backpacker” guitars. I looked them up and wow…relatively inexpensive, but such bad reviews. So I started researching other travel guitars and ran across some carbon fiber models.

Wow…never really heard of these before. And then, I found these Journey guitars made of carbon fiber, but the neck actually came off! What a great idea! And they were designed to fit in a custom case that met all the requirements for carry-on luggage and was thus named “Overhead”, since it would meet requirements for overhead bins on an airplane. And they were made of carbon fiber, which as the marketing material says, is pretty much impervious to weather. I was sooooooo intrigued. But holy cow, expensive, and how would I be able to add another guitar?!

I started trying to rationalize (market to myself) how instead of renting a guitar every year, I could get this guitar and over time it would pay for itself…and well, who am I kidding. Somehow I managed to convince my wife, I’m not sure how that came about, but I did promise her that I would “borrow” to my brother-in-law the Esteban (indefinitely), thus keeping it in the family but out of my condo and not feeling like I would hurt moms feelings.

I found a Journey OF660 on Reverb and made an offer, which was accepted and I was then the owner of a blue Journey OF660 “Overhead”. So I now had 5 guitars (going the wrong direction here), a Journey OF660, a Gibson EC-20 Floret, Epiphone classical, and a Gibson Les Paul. I was finally able to “borrow” the Esteban to my brother-in-law, and sold my Epiphone to Jon at Hidden Music in Palos Hills. Actually, Jon gave me $20 in cash and did a complete set up on the Esteban for me so I could give it to my brother-in-law. So I had two new acoustics and my grail electric and had upheld my end of the bargain of 3 guitars in the house. Whew.

I have to say how impressed I am with the Journey guitar, I really do love it. I can forget about all the silly humidity nonsense, I like the sound and playability, and of course it can do what almost no other guitar can do, which is to be able to take the neck off and travel with it, put it back on and with minimal re-tuning, you are ready to go. Love, love, love it! That guitar will also never leave me…unless maybe I can trade it in and get a sunburst satin one? ;-) Rob…are you listenin’? ;-)

And so, a funny thing happened. Since I received the Journey CF guitar, I was keeping it out on a stand in our spare room. On the other hand, I would get my Gibson EC-20 out of the closet, pull out the Oasis humidifier, play it, and then would carefully put my Gibson EC-20 back in its case and reinsert the humidifier and put it back in the closet. You know what’s gonna happen here…right?

I started playing the Journey way more than the Gibson. I could walk by and pick up the Journey and play for 3 mins and put it back and carry on with whatever I was doing in the house. It would take me 3 mins just to get the Gibson out of the closet, take out the humidifier, etc. Not to mention I fell victim to the humidity hype on the forum here (that’s a holy war!) but became very conscious of the environment where in our condo, fluctuates greatly. I think it’s a simple fact, any guitar that sits out in the open will get played more than one in a case.

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Since I was quite enamored with my Journey, I started looking at other composite acoustics. I ran across the Blackbird El Capitan and was intrigued (this actually was the beginnings of heavy GAS). Interestingly enough, there is not a whole lot of reviews on this instrument. After watching and reading everything I could, I called Joe at Blackbird to chat about the guitar. Over the course of a few weeks, we spoke a few times and traded emails about various aspects of the instrument and the technology that I would have questions on. Based on everything I read and my conversations with Joe, I decided to take the plunge and buy an El Capitan sight unseen. But before I did that, I at least wanted to hear one of the other Blackbird models.

Out of serendipity, there happened to be a Blackbird dealer about an hour away that Joe guided me to. This was the Music Gallery in Highland Park IL. I decided to drive out there with my brother-in-law and play a Blackbird Super OM to see if I liked the Blackbird product in general. I did. [emoji2] Additionally, Frank who is the owner of the Music Gallery, and Matt and everyone else there treated us really well, so I’m glad I’m able to give them my business. These guys were so awesome and have a really nice shop with so many beautiful guitars. My brother-in-law and I were very impressed with their store and more importantly their people and service. (Note: We subsequently went back and bought amps, practice stools, straps, capos, etc.). Love to be able to give small independent shops my business when they stand out like Music Gallery. I highly recommend them.

Frank was able to take in my beautiful Gibson EC-20 to help get me into the El Capitan (I really liked that guitar, and she was a beaut – side note: my wife thought I was nuts getting rid of the Gibson EC-20 which she incredulously had approved, so that was a little touchy but in the end she let me do my thing).

I decided to go for the full blown Deluxe model of the El Capitan, with all the trimmings except the double pickguard. This included the gold tuners, Mi-Si pickup, the deluxe herringbone rosette, and Blackbirds split parallelogram fret markers. Additionally, I was able to talk Joe into putting in Abalone instead of the faux pearl for the fret markers (it took some convincing… ;-) ) but eventually he told me his guys could do it. That did add a little extra cost and time. I was also able to talk Joe into providing a few pics during the build process, for which he was extremely gracious.

It’s been just over 3 months since traded in my Gibson EC-20 and placed the order for the El Capitan and the guitar has shipped to the Music Gallery and should be in about mid next week.

Wow! Finally happening! I’ve got to say that communicating with Joe and the team at Blackbird was fantastic from the very beginning. Once again, they are a small manufacturer and it seems really cool to be able to work these guys. I also like that Joe refers to himself as the CMO – Chief Musical Officer. ;-)

Thanks to someone here on this forum, I just picked up a Hercules wall mount for $11…with shipping! That was a crazy stupid deal, considering it had to cost 2-3$ to ship. When my El Capitan arrives, it will be on my wall for easy access….no more worrying about humidity!

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-19-2016 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I’m really stoked about getting this guitar, and the technology that it represents. Some of you on the forum have had hands on experience with one of these, and has been overwhelmingly positive (a few lukewarm). Here is an excerpt from the Blackbird site:

“This small jumbo guitar is crafted of Ekoa® natural composite. The vintage tone rivals the best wood with unmatched projection. The Ekoa® linen fiber is lightweight, exceptionally durable, and humidity/temperature stable so that you can take your El Capitan anywhere. El Capitan also offers a hollow neck, head sound port, and one-piece construction.”

If you are not familiar with this guitar or the revolutionary (my words, not Joe’s, or maybe somewhere in the marketing materials… ;-) ) Ekoa material, I encourage you to head over to their site and at least watch the video. I found it fascinating.

I really do love the incredibly beautiful guitars I see posted on this forum daily. The different woods are amazingly beautiful. But this guitar represents a sustainable future, and that I think is also very cool.

Here are some pics of during the build process.

Creating the bracing (the least exciting picture...lol)

Abalone inlays (YES!!!)

Abalone inlays closeup

The top with the fret board laid up

Soundboard

Cutting the ring for the rosette

Installed deluxe herringbone rosette

Adding the fretboard

3 pics in the finishing queue

Ready for finishing

Almost done!

Strung up….with pickguard or without. Joe sent me an email asking if I wanted the pickguard on or not, and we ended up making it a phone call. Joe said they could provide the pickguard in the case and I could put it on myself if I ever wanted to. I decided for that option. If in the end I don’t like the bare option, I can install the pickguard.

So, I can’t tell you how excited I am to become the owner of a Blackbird El Capitan Deluxe. Although I don’t even have it yet, my assumption is that I’ll now have 3 guitars which will never leave me. [emoji41]

Super big thanks to Joe and the team at Blackbird for their excellent work and communication (putting up with my emails and calls…lol). I would highly recommend them thus far just for the service. Of course, once I have the actual guitar, I’ll post my initial impressions in an NGD post, and then a longer review when I've had the guitar for a while.

Cheers folks, have a great holiday weekend!

Todd in Chicago

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 09-03-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:17 AM

Great story! Look forward to hearing the outcome next week when the Blackbird arrives.

You've had an interesting journey . . . from one of the oldest traditional guitars, Gibson, and now with hands on experience with two of the three top innovators in composite materials (Blackbird, Emerald, Journey).

And you are right. You not only play the guitar that is out more--you also simply play MORE guitar when you are not constantly casing and uncasing.

Thanks for passing on the tale and pics.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Ngd

I can't wait for your NGD post, I've been eyeing these guitars closely and like you simply haven't heard many reviews. Mainly looking for a great strummer, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts
Andy
Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Thx AC and Llamarebel!! I appreciate you taking the time to learn about my journey. And Llamarabel, as you can ascertain from my post, at this point I would consider myself a strummer, so when I post NGD and full review it will be mostly from that perspective. Although this not a "custom" guitar, and I've never owned a custom guitar, the process that I went through makes it feel a little bit like that. Unfortunately due to bizarre timing, I'll be out of town when it arrives (which is an unusual occurence for me), so the suspense will continue for another week.

Todd in Chicago

Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Cool. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Looks great, Todd. Interesting guitar journey you've been on. I've been intrigued by the El Capitan, so I'm also curious to know your impressions. I hope Blackbird eventually offers a cutaway version.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Fun journey (pun intended) a thanks for sharing with us!

Peace,

James
Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Marshall, 8daypsalmist, thx! I thought it was kind of fun to look at my progession over time, challenges etc; and the current state of the art.

Acousticado, I will definitely let you know my impressions as I know when I was looking, there really is not a whole lot out there in terms of information from individuals versus press releases, etc. I thought a cutaway would be good as well but since the El Capitan does not have a heel you do have a little more access to the higher frets. I usually don't end up playing up that high anyway.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion