The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar strap for Shorty

(Sounds vaguely like a movie title, but): I recently purchase a Shorty and love it, especially the responsiveness. I have a problem though: I have always played guitars with the strap attached at the lower bout and the headstock. It's impossible to do this, I think, with the RS because there's no room at the headstock under the strings for a lace. I simply can't get used to playing it with the strap attached to the lower bout.

Perhaps, in time, I'll adapt (though my other instruments are strapped at headstock and lower bout), but I vaguely remember some kind of clip or something that allowed headstock attachment for the strap. Does anyone know about this? If not, does anyone have a fix for me (and no, hypnosis isn't the answer)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:13 PM

I use a neotech acoustic guitar and banjo adapter loop on my shorty, and any strap I want. It's a bit of a snug fit under the strings but it works just fine. The Shorty is neck heavy compared to the super light body, and I find the guitar much more comfortable with the strap attached to the headstock.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Then it isn't just me!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I play sitting while practicing, stand when playing out - always use a strap. I haven't had an issue with using the strap buttons on the Shorty. My favorite with the Shorty is a Levy's, with cloth on the outside, leather on the inside - it doesn't slip.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-15-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 AM

I just run a leather tie around the headstock.

Rather than at the nut, I normally go between the middle and bottom set of tuners, under the strings.

Plenty of room and less crowded at the nut.

Don't have a pic of the shorty, but here is how I tie on on a 12-string.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesNotChops View Post
(Sounds vaguely like a movie title, but): I recently purchase a Shorty and love it, especially the responsiveness. I have a problem though: I have always played guitars with the strap attached at the lower bout and the headstock. It's impossible to do this, I think, with the RS because there's no room at the headstock under the strings for a lace. I simply can't get used to playing it with the strap attached to the lower bout.

Perhaps, in time, I'll adapt (though my other instruments are strapped at headstock and lower bout), but I vaguely remember some kind of clip or something that allowed headstock attachment for the strap. Does anyone know about this? If not, does anyone have a fix for me (and no, hypnosis isn't the answer)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
You might be looking for this connector from Planet Waves. Works great. Cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GWFEQ
Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I tried the neotech, thinking that it would somehow thread between the nut and the first tuner post. Of course it doesn't (I should have asked first.) Essentially, then, it attaches in the same way that my tried and true shoelace would have--between the first and second tuner posts.

The question I have though, for you folks who've mounted either the neotech or a leather string of some kind between the first and second set of posts, does it put too much pressure on the inner (closest to the nut) posts. I suppose since people have been mounting between the first and second, it doesn't do this, but I'd sure like some reassurance.

P.S. Even though for my purpose the neotech now seems superfluous, it does offer addicting convenience and I love it.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesNotChops View Post

The question I have though, for you folks who've mounted either the neotech or a leather string of some kind between the first and second set of posts, does it put too much pressure on the inner (closest to the nut) posts. I suppose since people have been mounting between the first and second, it doesn't do this, but I'd sure like some reassurance.
No issues, I've been tying them this way for decades (see my pic above)

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 PM

I am able to use the neotech right behind the nut in my Shorty.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Having tied at the headstock both at the nut, and between the bottom and 2nd set of tuners...

I would never chose to tie at the nut. First position chords can be cramped by the strap. Above the bottom set of tuners is much better.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 PM

Ditto. When tied to the headstock, the guitar slides off center relative to my body. But when strapped to a button on the neck heel, the body hangs well centered on my body, which I prefer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber