The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Sound Hole position..Emerald X20

Hi all, have been considering the purchase of a new Custom X20 from Emerald, like everything about it and the response to my inquiries has been stellar, very impressed with their customer relations.
I would like to hear from someone out there about the sound hole being placed as it is on the upper forward bout. Does this direct the volume into your face, or left ear when playing?? This is my only hesitation about the guitar.
My Blackbird 13 has a soundport on the top of the upper bout that I found to be annoying but I have a plug Joe sent me that cured the problem and so it is no longer an issue, but the type of port Emerald uses I will not be able to modify.
I find soundports directed at my face to make the guitar volume to much as I use a semi classical position where the guitar is close to my face with the neck at a 45 degree angle across the front of my body.
My other option is the X10 which has the sound hole in the traditional location on the front of the soundboard. They will still make this model.
Would like very much to hear from anyone playing one of these and their personal opinion, observations... Thanks in advance, Jerry
Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM

If you are playing in a classical position, then you might be annoyed by the sound hole on the X20. I find that when I am strumming hard the X20 is so loud that it drowns out singers and I can't hear anyone else. This is when it's in my lap or on a strap and I am strumming with it. On the other hand it's not too loud when I am fingerpicking.

If I know that I will only be fingerpicking I will take my Lucky 13, but if I could only take one then it would be the X20. Strumming on the L13 is not as loud as the X20 IMO.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Thanks that is what I was concerned about, my hearing is bad enough as it is,,I think the X10 with the standard sound hole will be more to my liking.
As far as playing with a flat pick which is all i do my 13 has held up well against another Martin playing rhythm a bass and fiddle.
I think I am attracted to the looks of Emerald more than any others and the fact he will build a short scale and 13/16 nut and 2 1/4 bridge spacing which matches my SC, OO.
My 13 has turned out to be one sweet playing guitar for fast fiddle tune leads and the bass is terrific. Very fast neck.
I only wish Blackbird would offer colors and bevels on the lower bout. I am really digging the Red on Emeralds with the black shading.... Jerry
Old 07-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Personally, I love the sound hole on my X20 for fingers or pick, even when I play in classical position, and especially when the monitors aren't all that they should be. That said, the X10 is also a great guitar, and may be a safer choice for you.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Guest 928

I believe that the Emerald X10 is an ideal sized instrument. The really nice thing is that Alistair can make anything you can dream. My X10-OSN is great--I suspect that a new, custom X10 with centered sound hole would be very much what you want. And be beautiful.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 AM

The sound hole of the X20 is pretty much right in your face, I swear when I played it I could actually feel the air pumping at me! I prefer the offset sound hole on my Emerald Doubleneck. Offset but a little less in your face? I think to me its more the esthetics.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

+1 Gazzillion on what Evan and Doubleneck said. Unless you're going with a built-in bong option, a center sound hole gives you the most control over where the sound is aimed.

From your description of your playing position, the X10 would likely be ideal for you. For me, the ideal "size" is a CA GX. It fits me better that smaller guitars. That said, my X10N is close behind in comfort, is the perfect volume for my voice, so if I had to replace the steel string GX, it would be on the short list.

Hope Emerald keeps the X10 in the mix. I have played the X20 and some guitars with sound ports, and vastly prefer the tradition sound hole.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
+1 Gazzillion on what Evan and Doubleneck said. Unless you're going with a built-in bong option, a center sound hole gives you the most control over where the sound is aimed.

From your description of your playing position, the X10 would likely be ideal for you. For me, the ideal "size" is a CA GX. It fits me better that smaller guitars. That said, my X10N is close behind in comfort, is the perfect volume for my voice, so if I had to replace the steel string GX, it would be on the short list.

Hope Emerald keeps the X10 in the mix. I have played the X20 and some guitars with sound ports, and vastly prefer the tradition sound hole.
Guess I am in the minority here, but the sound hole on the X-20 is perfect for me. Maybe it is because I am getting "older", but when playing acoustically, I can hear the subtle nuances much better than with my "woodies"...
Keep in mind that I do not play in the classical position, so that is definitely a good consideration!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Guest 928

I have had the chance to compare the same model guitar in both OS and center hole configurations; my original X10N and my current X10-OSN. From a player/singer point of view I really like the OS--I hear it better and feel that it facilitates blending my voice with the instrument.

On the other hand, I believe that off-set sound holes, like sound ports, takes some projection away from the audience.

One more option, one more decision.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 PM

No expert but as I remember the offset sound hole enhances the sound by using the soundboard more efficiently.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 PM

yes after a great deal of pro and con and thinking about it the X10 looks like the configuration I will most likely go with. I like the traditional look more and the center sound hole.
the one thing i really like about Emerald is nothing off the table, they will build it the way you like it.
just need to decide on the options as far as finish, already know the scale and nut width, string space, etc.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

JM:

Color?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:24 PM

Default X20 sound hole

This is my first post ever on the forum. I just received my x20 about 5 weeks ago. I absolutely love the position of the sound hole. It allows me to experience the nuances of the different tonal variations in this wonderful guitar. It allows me to hear and adapt and refine the sound. I have a number of high end Martins, a 714 cedar and even a CA Ox. This guitar is my favorite- because of the rich tone. Not sure i could give it up the tone of this guitar for the location of the sound hole. I also have the red color, and the guitar was flawless. You will not go wrong with either guitar, but I had to throw my personal experience. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

My X7 is the only guitar I have with an off-set sound hole. I think it took me a while to warm up to the non-traditional sound hole, but... now I like it! And, the Emeralds have a great design/finish to that sound hole. The edges are built up and rounded... downright sensuous looking. I am not a fan of the off-set sound holes that just look like they were cut in a different place... all those curved edges on the Emeralds just flow.

Granted, the X7 is a smaller guitar than the X20, but I haven't found the sound hole to be "in my face." No doubt it adds to the "sounds bigger than it is," but I sure don't find it over-powering.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
This is my first post ever on the forum. I just received my x20 about 5 weeks ago. I absolutely love the position of the sound hole. It allows me to experience the nuances of the different tonal variations in this wonderful guitar. It allows me to hear and adapt and refine the sound. I have a number of high end Martins, a 714 cedar and even a CA Ox. This guitar is my favorite- because of the rich tone. Not sure i could give it up the tone of this guitar for the location of the sound hole. I also have the red color, and the guitar was flawless. You will not go wrong with either guitar, but I had to throw my personal experience. Good luck.
A Great Big Welcome to the AGF Irishrep!!! You are among friends Amigo
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber