The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM

Default Teach left or right handed?

Question for the membership...

I have a 60 year old LEFT handed friend who has an interest in learning guitar. I have offered to teach him the basics.

I am right handed, and he says he thinks he can learn it lefty or righty.

So the question here is...

Should I teach him right or left handed?
I'm sure I could do either, but what do you think would be best for HIM?
I don't want to do anything that'll create obstacles later for him.

I await the wisdom.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:52 PM

It will always be more difficult to find a lefty guitar, so I would suggest starting righty first....
Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM

I play left handed and teach and I would say try it righty and see how he does, it's going to be hard starting out either way. Last night I gave a guy who's a lefty (playing righty) his first lesson and my observation was he didn't seem any more at a disadvantage than the beginner students, as a matter of fact he did better the most. There's always an exception to the rule but personally I think I could have learned righty and not had a problem with it.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Start with right-handed playing. At least half the lefties out there seem to do okay with playing right-handed. If that doesn't work, have him restring the guitar for left-handed playing. It's not as difficult to teach someone who's playing left-handed as you might guess - you just sit face to face and mirror each other.

To those detail-oriented folks who are just dying to point out that a lefty-strung right-handed guitar won't intonate correctly - yeah, duh. But it's simplest to experiment this way to determine if the student can learn faster this way, THEN go out and buy a left-handed guitar, than it is to buy a left-handed guitar to start with.

Incidentally, chitz, there are an amazing number of people who feel it's some sort of abomination for left-handed people to play guitar strung left-handed, and who aren't the least bit shy about saying so. This includes not only right-handed players meddling in matters that are none of their concern, but also some lefties who managed to learn playing right-handed. Their feeling is that if they managed it then all other lefties should suck it up, grow some hair on their dangling appendages, and learn to play right-handed, too.

We can expect to hear thunderations from those folks any minute now.

The reality of the situation, though, is that some lefties can learn to play right-handed, but others simply cannot. For those who are strongly left-handed it has little to nothing to do with will power or moral fiber, but everything to do with brain wiring.

But try starting your friend with a right-handed guitar, and see how he copes.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM

The plus side of teaching him "right handed" is... I've got lots of guitars here for him to dabble on. No need to purchase a lefty right away.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:29 PM

I do everything left handed except play the guitar. I'm 61 and learned how to play when I was 13. He will do fine learning to play right handed. I wish you and him the best of luck.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:11 PM

As a lefty, I think I speak for many of us in that we can usually do many tasks right-handed, including guitar.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Thank you my left handed friends! I think we have a direction now.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:49 PM

Many, perhaps even most lefties can learn to play right-handed. But not all.

whm
Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I am a righty who is selfishly in favor of righty because it is a pain to read backwards hands!
Or worse, transpose at the same time, and altered tunings....not a chance!

Good luck either direction !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Default Righty or Lefty

Ok, shameless plug, but I happen to have a lefty DN3 for sale, so..........

Having said that, he's better off learning right handed. Lots more choices in guitars, he won't have to look in a mirror to figure out what the other guy is doing( ) but bottom line, it's how you learn. If he thinks in terms of Left hand vs Right Hand he'll drive himself crazy.

If you fingerpick, both hands are equally involved anyway.

I've never heard of a left handed piano, trumpet, flute, violin, tuba, etc, etc, etc and there are plenty of left handed people playing those instruments.

Left handed drummers? I don' think so! ( BTW, how can you tell it's a drummer at your front door? He doesn't know when to come in!. But seriously folks,......)

I should have been left handed but had it beaten out of me in parochial school. I write with my right hand (very poorly, I might add) but do everything else left handed.

Oh yeah, I play guitar right handed.

LEARN RIGHTY!

Just my less than humble opinion.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:24 PM

i would suggest learning to play right as future purchases of guitars will be much easier. once proficient, then perhaps he'll want to try left.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Right hand militant here. Teach/learn to play right handed. I don't think there are many left handed musical instruments out there once you leave the guitar world.

hunter
Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM

Learning lefty worked better for me, and I'm glad I went that way, but go with whatever feels more comfortable for him.

I've never had much issue obtaining left handed guitars, although when you do find a nice lefty in a store, it does make it harder to pass up.

I've never had any trouble with any right handed materials, videos, etc... with the sole exception of scale diagrams. A problem that a $15 purchase of a left handed scale book solved.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Teach left or right handed?

I'm a lefty and learned to play right handed, never occurred to me to try it the other way around.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion