The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Emerald X7 assistance

Please let me apologize in advance if this is an inappropriate place for this post...

Let me start by introducing myself. I am Carol McHale, Brian McHale's widow. Many of you may know Brian, as he has been an active member of your community for many years, and as I understand it, has contributed to many discussions. Brian was diagnosed with brain cancer Sep 2014 and passed this April. I'm now trying to sell the last carbon fiber guitar (other than his CA Vintage Performer 6 string that he gigged with) hanging on his music room wall, the Emerald X7 Travel Guitar.

My problem is I really am not knowledgeable enough to fully describe the instrument nor qualified to answer any technical questions regarding it. I do know that the guitar has a gig bag and a leather strap and it's serial number is: X7-OS-002128,11. I am hoping that either someone would be interested in this instrument outright or might be able to suggest some ideas for selling it. Brian was able to give me a rough idea of what he thought the guitar was worth, but I don't have a good feel if that is an accurate assessment, since the value was for another purpose.

I also have quite a few other miscellaneous bits and pieces which probably should be discussed off-line. I am not familiar with this forum, as that was Brian's area, so I'm thinking if anyone is interested they should contact me via my email: [email protected].

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and again, I apologize if I should have put this into a different category.

Sincerely,
Carol
Old 06-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Carol,

I am so sorry for your loss and to learn that Brian has passed-on. I remember Brian when he posted at the AGF, but even more so when he used to post at the now defunct MacNichol's Carbon Fiber Forum. He was a valuable participant and well-respected. I wish you and your family continued strength.

As for Brian's Emerald X7, as it is a carbon fiber guitar, I suggest you request that a moderator move this thread to the Carbon Fiber sub-forum where CF aficionados will be certain to know about your sale. I also suggest that you ask a mod to change the thread title to something like "For Sale: Brian McHale's Emerald X7". If you're not sure how to make that request, I can do that if you wish. I hope you'll be able to take and post some photos of the guitar. Whether for the AGF or wherever else you may advertise it, potential buyers are going to want to see pics. If you need advice with that, there's a "sticky" thread about how to do it. I'll help you if you need it.

The best way to sell it is by posting a for sale thread in the AGF Classifieds sub-forum, but you must be a Charter Member to do so at nominal cost, but since you'll likely not be frequenting the forum much, it may not be worth it for you. So like I said, moving this thread to the CF sub-forum will garner more views and not drop off the page near as fast as it will in this General forum.

Good luck to you in the sale, and with your future.

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 PM

So sorry for your loss. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:03 PM

Hi Carol...
Very sorry for this loss to you and those that knew and loved Brian. I have an Emerald X7 12 string. Good advice from the first reply to your post here. You will need photos and then be able to post them on the Carbon Fiber section of this forum. You might find someone to act as your selling agent, a friend or family member. Then you could post a For Sale ad on this forum as well. You will need someone to respond to those that reply to the ad and keep checking it every day as there is a lot of activity here. Many have questions and want to explore the guitar.

Emerald guitars are top of the line. They are excellently designed and built in Ireland. Yours will sell more easily than mine since 12 string guitars are not of interest to a lot of strummers.

If you cannot find someone to help you post photos or how to write up a good ad for the guitar under the For Sale section, I am happy to help you as well. Its actually easy once a person has done it the first time.

So, I agree with the first post here that putting Brian's name in the post under Carbon Fiber and/or the For Sale section will help it sell. Tell a little of the story if you are comfortable doing that. Much like you did here.

Again, so very sorry for the arduous journey you must be on regarding your husbands death. We imagine he is singing with the angels just now and enjoying some fine guitar pickin.

You can email at [email protected] or use this forum to be in touch. The best to you.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 06-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Carol
I moved your thread into the Carbon section, also sent you a PM.

Lets leave the thread here to get some response regarding approx. value for you, then I suggest putting up a classified ad listing here in the Classifieds section-if there's anything else I can do to help just send me a PM or post a reply and ask.

To post in the Classifieds you need to become a charter member-its very reasonable, and that guitar should sell easily-its quite popular.

hope this helps
d
Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Carol and I wish you all the best . I remember Brian from the now defunct CF forum over at Macnichol G&M. I specifically remember watching him play "I Believe in Father Christmas" on his Rainsong 12 string. He was a great guitarist and very good vocalist as well. You are in good hands with knowledgeable people regarding the instrument in question.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Carol - I am so sorry to hear about Brian. Its not only a loss to the family but to our community. I knew him from the MacNichol forum. What a kind man and was always so encouraging to many of us.

I am not the best person to help with what you need. I am sure there are many other carbon fiber experts on this forum who will be more than willing to help out. Many if not all the old MacNichol crew are here and we were like a family in many ways.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Perhaps it'd be bending the forum rules a bit, but since Carol's likely only interest to become a charter member is to try and sell the guitar, perhaps one of us charter members could help her by posting an ad in the classifieds on her behalf with her email as the contact. Just a thought. I'd be willing to do it, so long as a mod won't slap me on the wrist for doing so.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:01 AM

Accusticado- Under the circumstances, I would be really disappointed if a moderator put a stop to you listing on her behalf. Brian was a real presence on the old forum and a 'friend' to many here. Helping Carol seem more than the right thing to do.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Hi Carol,

First off, my condolences on your loss, Brian was a strong presence on these forums and we were all saddened by his passing.

As to your X7, not sure which version it is, but I would estimate value between $700 to $800 on the used market. If you email me some photos I can give you a more accurate appraisal, and advice on selling it. Hopefully someone here looking for a one of these will see the thread, and perhaps one of the charter members here can list it in the classifieds as well.

Feel free to call me with any questions.

Ted - 310.246.1933
Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 PM

Hi Carol,

I am so sorry for your loss. I learned an enormous amount about 12 string guitars from Brian and celebrated with him when he received his custom x20 12 string from Alistair and Emerald guitars. I believe he pioneered with Alistair the no pin bridge!!!!

I am sure his x7 will move quickly!!!

Chris
Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

what I would suggest is someone get pictures and post, of Brians X7, maybe contact Sean at Emerald and give him the serial number and he may be able to list specifics of that model that Brian owned.

Carol, what color is it?
Does it have a pickup(probably on the upper side of the guitar, some knobs and such-whats the name on that pickup?)

d
Old 06-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

this is excellent, thanks Brian

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's passing.
The X7 OS sells new for $995. Depending on the shape it is in, it would influence the value.
There are plenty of knowledgeble members who should be able to assist you determining a fair price for the guitar
Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Deepest condolences, Carol. Loved seeing Brian's videos.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber