The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Default Classical resistence

SirWhale's recent thread regarding the Dlutowski guitar struck me as interesting in that it could be a test of the resistance of classical players to any medium other than wood. And so, I slid on over to the classical site on this forum and suggested that classical players might want to take a look at Sir Whale's find. As of now, 98 people have looked, no one has responded.

While the lack of response might be accounted for in many ways, my guess is that those 98 people are all busy placing orders for the CF classical guitar.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 PM

There has to be a joke in here somewhere....this is a classic case of.....
Old 06-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I am certainly not a classical guitarist... well, I do play some classic rock 'n roll.

I think most guitar players tend to be traditional, probably even more so for acoustic players (and especially classical players). For a couple decades, I was a Gibson guy (acoustic and electric). Then, a 14 year stint with an Ovation (and laughing off the "Tupperware" remarks). Back to all wood and some nice Taylors (that I still have). My first carbon fiber, a RainSong Shorty, is a relatively traditional styled guitar (very close to the Taylor Grand Concerts). It put me firmly into the carbon fiber camp from the first strum. My Emerald X7 isn't traditional - and it fits me like it was made just for me.

Sometimes you have to check 'em all out to find out that you aren't a classical guy, or a wood guy, but rather: a guitar guy.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
SirWhale's recent thread regarding the Dlutowski guitar struck me as interesting in that it could be a test of the resistance of classical players to any medium other than wood. And so, I slid on over to the classical site on this forum and suggested that classical players might want to take a look at Sir Whale's find. As of now, 98 people have looked, no one has responded.

While the lack of response might be accounted for in many ways, my guess is that those 98 people are all busy placing orders for the CF classical guitar.
Perhaps your title might appear a little too generic, as it currently sounds more like another NGD thread than anything else.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Until there is an actual Classical CF guitar I doubt there will be much conversation. It's a part of the guitar world that CF guitar makers have skipped/ignored. So in truth there is nothing to talk about, hard to discuss the non-existent created in a material you have probably never seen or considered.

To quote a famous person ... just sayin'....
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Considering the numbers produced of wood vs carbon fiber, carbon fiber guitars are a niche market. Smart builders can be successful in a niche market. A carbon fiber classical guitar... seems that would be a small niche of the niche.

I have seen carbon fiber violins and cellos... but that is an investment in molds for the maker. Seems to me that a CF classical is the answer to a question that no one is asking. Yet.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Guest 928

Sir Whale's report of the new classical CF guitar, on the classical site of this forum, now has 175 views and one very nice response.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Guest 928

Several hours later, now 5 responses--lots of resistance and a bit of ambivalence.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

So, Evan, as the AGF Carbon Fiber Nylon String guitar premier sommelier, are you working on acquiring one of these guitars?
Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Guest 928

Cecil;

Ah! You flatter me. It's true that I have owned or played just about every nylon string CF guitar. It's also true that I've used the classical wooden nylon strung instrument as my point of comparison relative to tone and projection.

However, I am not a classical player, I am a classical appreciator. I am a hybrid advocate, looking for the contemporary advancements of luthery while also listening for the marvelous sound of a good classical, wooden guitar.

And there is this. I am getting long in the tooth. I have two CF nylon string guitars that come close to my ideal and I am keeping an eye on the new Journey nylon string guitar. I've not sure that I have the time or the energy to pursue yet another possibility. But I think about it.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

And so, I've been taunting the folks on the Classical Guitar site on this forum. This is pretty fun stuff. My recent contribution on the CG could make me the most hated person on the classical guitar forum. Cool.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 PM

I find it fascinating that tradititionalist opinions (it's not the sound I am after, etc.) are formed so quickly, after listening to a digital recording through God-knows what computer/phone/tablet one is using. If a thumbs-down comes after actually playing a CF instrument, I could give it some weight.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I have to admit: I think it was 2003. An engineer acquaintance was working for Composite Acoustics - he told me about them making a carbon fiber guitar; said, "You should try one of these!"

I didn't. It wasn't until almost 10 years later that I became CF curious. I had the opportunity to try a WS1000 (I think) for a few minutes. "Oh, that is nice!" I saw that Ted had the last SG-FLE Shorty available. Bought it over the phone.

Acoustic guitarists, and especially classical players, are pretty traditional. There has to be a reason to try a carbon fiber guitar... and that reason is generally the practical aspect of them not needing to be humidified. For me, that was the case - BUT, the sound is what hooked me.

"It doesn't sound like a wood guitar," some will say. Nope. And an SUV has a different ride from a luxury sedan... but, they can both be very nice. I have room for carbon fiber and wood. I have completely lost any "resistance." I appreciate how all my guitars sound. And some of them can withstand the climate changes with the traveling we do better than others.

If I had to narrow it down to only one guitar, it would probably be one of my carbon fiber guitars.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 AM

Similar experience here. I was aware of CF guitars, and even got to try a couple. Living in Alaska, we fought low humidity all winter long, struggling to get UP to 20% in the house. Rainsong was the instrument of choice, the only one that could live outside a case at all, and we picked up a WS-1000 after a visit to family in Michigan with a side trip to Elderly in 2001.

I also got to try the CA made Cargos in Hawaii during a music camp in 2007 and should have bought one right then from Hilo Guitars. We have since acquired a recent Peavey version though. And I'm currently lusting after a Lucky 13 from Blackbird, and maybe one day an Emerald Chimeara double neck just because they look so cool.

While a slow adopter, I am fully converted now. I'm seriously considering the long term prospect of selling the wood guitars and ukes to go fully CF. It will be hard to part with my koa instruments though.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber