The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Default Should you get a new guitar set up when you buy it?

In the $1000 range, would one normally expect a new guitar to come set up out of the box, or would you tend to take it straight to a luthier before you even start playing it? Is it something you'd expect to get done as standard if a store has a resident luthier?

I've never bought a guitar outside the $500 range so I'm unsure what's typical. I should say I don't have any very specific requirements that might be unusual, I'm talking about a generic service/setup of my new guitar to check it's good to go, since I'm not expert enough to tell what it should be like.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

John,

Definitely pay for a good setup, for you. You and I may purchase the very same guitar but have quite different setup needs.

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM

I do setups myself, so yes, I would definitely do a setup on a new to me guitar. Sometimes it's just checking, more often I adjust the nut, sometimes the neck relief and the saddle height, rarely do I feel the need to do the frets. My 1962 Gibson Melody Maker has terrible fret wear around the fifth fret on the top two strings, it was a blues machine for years I think, but I leave it there and play around it. That wear is patina to me, honorable signs of happy use.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM

As I said I don't have anything specific to ask for - more asking if a routine check-up and setup should be considered the norm, or if guitars should be setup properly out of the box?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Live with it for a bit, see what things you like and don't like about it. Let it get to the proper humidification levels, too, because that alone will make a big difference in the feel of some guitars. Once you get to know the guitar a bit, have it professionally set up. There may be things about it you don't like that are just a simple fix.

Nick
Old 06-01-2016, 11:17 AM

Even $3000 guitars very often need set ups and do not come perfect out of the box. They should. But they don't. I would play some of your favorite songs on your new guitar for a few days. See if you think your fingers hurt more than normal, or you think it may be harder to play than it should be, or if it buzzes. If so, get a set up, if it feels good, no buzz, and doesn't hurt your fingers then let it go. Good luck with your new guitar! Many people will however, pay the $30 to $60 for a set up if there is a good luthier to do so. This way they know the set up is correct.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Many new guitars will need a setup. Some won't. Some players will be very sensitive to small changes in the setup. Some won't. Some people will prefer how their guitar plays after it's been set up differently than the way it came from the factory. Some won't.

If you're very happy with how the guitar plays, then it may be advisable to leave well enough alone. If you're not sure or you know it doesn't feel the way you like, bring it to a tech and discuss what he or she thinks could be improved. Play for the tech so a determination of how your playing style will affect the setup parameters can be made.

It might also be useful to ask the dealer who sold you the guitar whether the guitar still has the factory setup or whether it's been altered. If I didn't like the current setup, I'd also ask if they could make some setup alterations. But this is probably safest if you have some understanding of what a setup entails and what you're after. Faced with the above request, a lot of shops would probably just give the truss rod a crank or two which might not be the best way of addressing the issue (but it's the easiest and cheapest for them).

I once bought an under-$200 mandolin from the Music Emporium that had crazy high nut action. I asked if they could lower it for me and they did with no issues and it played a whole lot better afterward. It took the owner (Joe Caruso) about 10 or 15 minutes to do, right in front of me. I felt a little bad asking for this service on such a modest instrument but I've given them a fair amount of business over the years. Joe, as always, was very gracious.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:32 AM

A new set-up is absolutely warranted when you buy a new guitar in that price range.

I've had Goodalls that needed a new nut cut to correct a slight string spacing problem. None are immune and most need to be set up by someone who asks about your playing style, whether you capo a lot, and your personal string attack.

This usually isn't the set-up guy at GC BTW.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM

I always feel a bit miffed if I need to have a guitar set up immediately after I buy it. A quick tweak of the truss rod, okay, but I feel that a store should make sure its instruments have good playability before the customer receives them. If the customer prefers a specialized set up - unusually high or low action, for example - that's a different matter. Otherwise, it's like an extra 60 or 70 dollars is slapped on the buying price, and I'm not too cool with that.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM

I don't like the short answers you're getting. I see a lot recommending a setup. I think you should make the decision once you have more information. Everything said here applies to new guitar. If you've bought one used then it's a good idea to take it to a tech to get it looked over and setup.

Why do people get a setup done? Your new guitar began it's life with a factory setup. Factory setups in 2016 are actually quite good on many models. I know this will make some users here pull their knifes out, but it's a subjective thing and I feel strongly that Taylor and Gibson (2016 models) do a good job with the factory setup as a general purpose setup to accommodates different playing styles. I think that setup will work fine for many players, probably most players. But the problem is from the factory the guitar has gone through some changes with shipping from factory to the distributors warehouse and finally to the retailer you purchased it from. The purpose of the setup would be to either restore the setup back to factory specs (which I rarely see talked about here) or have it set custom to fit your playing style (what everyone seems to talk about here). But how many players new or intermediate level players really know exactly what they need/want out of a setup? If you just drop the guitar off and say "please set this up" the tech is going to set it up according to his vision for how a guitar setup. Is that really what you want? You may have great low action, but if all you're doing is open chords taking the action that low may not have been the best choice as it came with some trade offs for tone. If you aren't in a position to know EXACTLY what you want out of a setup then your best bet is to have them bring it back to factory spec, but can you trust the repair shop to do that? Not all do. In fact some will look at you funny when you request that. If you aren't in a position to be able to walk in and drop the guitar off and say something like "I tend to hit the strings pretty hard when strumming so don't take the action too low" or "I have arthritis in my left hand, please get her as low as possible". If you aren't 100% sure what you want and you're happy with how the guitars plays then I would argue you DO NOT need a professional setup.

Most guitars seem to make it my local retailers with reasonably good action. Probably slightly off from factory spec, but still good enough to make it hard to put down in the showroom. Good enough to make you want to buy it. Taylor's probably have the best off the rack action, the new 2016 Gibson's are very good also. I would say good enough for most players (again, unless you have something specific you want). Learn to do the minor adjustments yourself (thank you AGF for this lesson). If the action on your new guitar is so off it requires more than a minor truss rod adjustment, I'd return it. Less expensive guitars may need the saddle to be filed a bit (see video #2 below)

If you've ordered by Internet and they shipped the guitar to you from out of state without loosening the strings, the guitar may need quite a bit of work. I learned this lesson the hard way.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-01-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 PM

I guess I'd see how I liked it first. I'd also add that where I got it would make a difference, too.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
But the problem is from the factory the guitar has gone through some changes with shipping from factory to the distributors warehouse and finally to the retailer you purchased it from. The purpose of the setup would be to either restore the setup back to factory specs (which I rarely see talked about here) or have it set custom to fit your playing style (what everyone seems to talk about here).
But these 'changes' should only be minor shifts in neck relief, shouldn't they? They oughtn't to be anything that couldn't be rectified with a minor tweak of the truss rod. If anything more major is required, it suggests to me that maybe the guitar wasn't particularly well set up in the first place.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Live with it for a bit, see what things you like and don't like about it. Let it get to the proper humidification levels, too, because that alone will make a big difference in the feel of some guitars. Once you get to know the guitar a bit, have it professionally set up. There may be things about it you don't like that are just a simple fix.
I recently bought a used instrument that played beautifully when I got it. After 3 weeks it became difficult to play. The action had risen substantially. I keep my apartment humidified at ~41%, but evidently it was previously kept in a much drier environment. So I took it in for a set up and all is well again.

I bought the instrument from Long & McQuaid, so the set up was free. They give excellent customer service; too bad they do not humidify their stores properly.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM

I would play it awhile (like a few days) and see how it feels. I generally don't buy a guitar unless it feels perfect. But sometimes things change. After about a year of "Settling in" my 000 needed a setup and now it sounds and plays great!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdog View Post
I bought the instrument from Long & McQuaid, so the set up was free.
Great name for an American guitar store - Long & McQuaid. Sounds like Bonnie and Clyde, only better. Doc Long and Randy McQuaid, ma'am, at your service, with a Colt six-shooter and a bottle o' rye. Nice ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion