The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default RAinsong Parlor on order...now strings & gig bag?

Got a 12 fret Concert series Parlor on order. Am very excited. Will become my boat guitar and take the place of my Martin Lx1k for travel.

Am looking for recommendation strings and a gig bag for this specific instrument.

I see Thomastik Infeld Plectrums got some nice talk here up but at $24 that's a bit steep. Was thinking about GHS vintage bronze. I use GHS phosphor bronze on my martins, 12s on the 000 and 11s on the 00 and 0. The vintage bronze should be a little mellower. Any thoughts?

On the gig back I got some recommendations on the saga http://www.sagamusic.com/products/pr...?item=CB-361BL
but not sure about the fit. Was wondering if anyone has one on their 12 fret parlor?

Thanks!
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Be advised that almost all gigbags sized for 0 size instruments are going to be slightly long in the neck, since they are sized for 14-fret instruments.

I don't have a Rainsong Parlor, but the P12 is essentially the exact same size as my Larrivee Parlor. When the Larrivee gigbag finally died I replaced it with a Boulder Alpine. These are available in Blue, Green, and Tan.

http://www.elderly.com/boulder-alpin...gbag-95312.htm

If you are going to be outside a lot, I think that Tan is a nice choice to help keep the heat down.

As you can see, there are a couple extra inches in the headstock area, but otherwise a nice fit.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 05-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Guest 928

You might want to check out Access. The company has four levels of bag in a variety of sizes. I purchased the least expensive one as a light trip carrier for my recent Emerald and was really surprised at the quality. One of the nice things about Access is that the dimensions for the various bags are on the money.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it will come with a gig bag already. Maybe wait and see how you like that one before looking at others.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm pretty sure it will come with a gig bag already. Maybe wait and see how you like that one before looking at others.
That's a good point Earl49. The OP didn't mention if the guitar brand new- if that's the case, the guitar comes at least with a nice hardshell case, not sure what the conditions/ agreements are used.

Nobody has input on strings? I just posted this morning how amazing Martin Retros are sounding on the Shorty. I might just stick with them
Old 05-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Nobody has input on strings? I
I have my shorty strung with Elixir Phosphor Bronze.

I thought the Elixir 80/20s it shipped with were too bright.
I then tried my go to Phosphor Bronze EXPs and though they were to dark.

The Parlor is of course smaller than the shorty so might like different strings.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 PM

Congratulations! I carry my Rainsong 12 fret Parlor everywhere.
I have a Phitz bag for mine. The Mid-Size will fit your guitar. They are VERY highly rated on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Phitz-Mid-Size...1&keywords=mid
I only use uncoated d'addario strings on my electrics and acoustics.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

For a short while, Rainsong produced a non-gloss parlor that came with a Boulder Alpine single 0 size gig bag. I use one of these for my P12 and it fits well at a fair price.

Mitch
Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Rainsong CS recommended the Boulder CB-361 for my NP12, so I bought one.

Fits well, and out of my 4 gig bags, it is my favorite.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses. That phitz bag looks pretty wild! A distressed hula!!! Have been looking at the boulder. Sure would be nice to have a good bag made specifically for a 12 fret 0 size. Nice and tight.

The parlor does come with a great hard shell case. I think all Rainsongs do now. Space in our sailboat is fairly tight, so having a tight fitting gig bag makes things a little easier, including just sliding the guitar in and out of it.

I guess I'll just experiment with strings but you guys gave some good starting points.

btw, did not opt for the factory electronics. Having the preamp and battery are just another thing to decay in salt air and more control than I need or would use. Will probably have a simple K&K installed. Have one in my 000 and like it a lot. So I will be able to report on the K&K in a while. Am probably 3-4 weeks out to getting it.

Really curious to play this thing. After lots of study ordered a concert series and 12 fret as I think I'll like the sound better than the other options. And for the boat have to have the sharks! But was never able to play one so am just hoping for the best.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Salt air? Your location shows as Lake Tahoe. The last time I kayaked there (Bliss State Park to/from Emerald Bay) the lake was fresh water. But that has been a while....

You will be happy with your new Rainsong - they are sweet, especially in challenging environments. And I did not realize that they all come with hard cases these days.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Boat is on SF bay. Used to be in Portland and did trips to Canada and the sound. But we sailed her down the coast a couple years ago. Now sail the bay and the coast a bit. In a year or so will take off for? Maybe Hawaii and north? Maybe south?

Bliss is a great place! Used to sail the Tahoe and that was a favorite spot to anchor for a day or so.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Congrats on the incoming parlor, Paul. For a gig bag suggestion, the one from Saga isn't bad, it' the one Rainsong used to ship with the discontinued Studio series parlors, but know that the RS parlor is based on the Martin 0 12-Fret body, so any gig bag made for a Martin 0 or it's clones will fit the RS parlor perfectly.

As for strings, coated strings like Elixirs, Cleartone, and Martin Lifespans make the mot sense out on the ocean, so I would stick with them.

Good luck, and enjoy your new parlor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber