The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Default OT - Best place to list for sale a CF guitar

I am going to be selling my pre-Peavey OX - RAW. Is it best to list it in a sales forum like AGF or just put it on eBay?

I just don't know how much interest there is in used carbon fiber guitars on this forum. I see some that appear to have been for sale for nearly a year.

I have looked at Craigslist, but given that CF remains a niche market I don't know how effective that would be.

If you have any recommendations please let me know.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Guest 928

Why not all three?
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

To advertise in the AGF Classifieds sub forum, you'll first have to pony-up for a Charter Membership. I sold my GXi a couple of years ago through the forum classifieds to an AGFer.

You may wish to add the guitar to your signature block (make it stand out, maybe with colored text) which you haven't yet utilized, and indicate that it is for sale. This way, wherever you post throughout the forum, it will be seen by those who may notice.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-22-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

I think there is plenty of interest in carbon fiber guitars. Price it right, and it shouldn't stay around. Since the McNichols forum closed down, this sub-forum has seen more daily traffic. Pay for the membership and list it here. CL doesn't cost you anything... well, except time, sorting through the scammers.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 PM

I would definitely list it here on the AGF. I bought all 3 of my CF guitars here.
You're more likely to get a customer who is knowledgible and appreciative of CF guitars.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwrpc View Post
I am going to be selling my pre-Peavey OX - RAW. Is it best to list it in a sales forum like AGF or just put it on eBay?

I just don't know how much interest there is in used carbon fiber guitars on this forum. I see some that appear to have been for sale for nearly a year.

I have looked at Craigslist, but given that CF remains a niche market I don't know how effective that would be.

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

My personal suggestion would be to come up with a fair price... cut that number in half... and then PM me! Deal done! LOL.

All kidding aside... I only go to Craigslist to find killer deals. Otherwise it's not worth the grief. I would use Craigslist as a buyer only... NEVER as a seller.

Ebay... I am careful when I purchase... long-time established accounts. Seldom sell there. The primary reason... is that I HATE selling! LOL.

My only experience with purchasing from a member on AGF was a few years ago. I picked up a mint pre-Peavey Cargo for $800 and have been thrilled with it.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Not afraid to sell on CL, but then again, that was only one time. Ad went out and I had 3 bites within a week. Two were scam artists and one was local number with legit text inquiry. Cash only, meet in public. No electronic payments, cashier's checks, or shipping. Can't find a buyer who fits the bill? No deal.

I know there is a lot of leger de main activity out there but there are also those who have cash and are just looking for a good deal too. I'm one of the latter.

With that said, a CF bought used or sold used might be a better idea on the forum. As Steve stated, folks here are in the know and have an appreciation and interest in such guitars. Last I understood a charter membership is $25 and good for a year. There are other benefits to being a charter member too, you can learn more here
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-23-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

If the price is right and the model popular it will sell fairly quickly. I have bought two and sold one CF guitar on AGF. Both deals happened quickly and were great experiences, like all the buying and selling done here. I have had decent luck selling on CL once I've weeded out the scammers. I have had no luck selling on Reverb and I refuse to use eBay.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I would definitely list it here on the AGF. I bought all 3 of my CF guitars here.
You're more likely to get a customer who is knowledgible and appreciative of CF guitars.
Agreed.

Craigslist is for sub $400 instruments, tire kickers, scammers, and flakes.

Ebay or Reverb is better for higher end stuff, but you end up taking a pretty big hit on the fees. Reverb is better than e-bay for nicer stuff since it's music instruments only. (attracts people looking for higher end items).

You will do best here if it's an item in demand. For example: a Rainsong 12-string usually sells in under a day.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I will look into a Charter Membership, I have no idea what that costs and will look at Reverb as well. An OX may be a little to low end for it.

I love the OX but it never gets played. I have moved to ukes and mandolins.

Thanks for all the ideas, I was a little nervous that this may not be an appropriate question for the forum.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 AM

I have sold three carbon guitars all through guitar forums. The key is a realistic price. I would rather sell it on their forums to someone who is kind of part of the family. Never had a hassle.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-23-2016, 07:37 AM

A CF bought used or sold used might be a better idea on the forum. As Steve stated, folks here are in the know and have an appreciation and interest in such guitars. Last I understood a charter membership is $25 and good for a year. There are other benefits to being a charter member too, you can learn more here
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber