The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Anyone bought Tab from stropes.som?

Just wonderng... 10$ a pop is kinda steep for each song tabed out but are they really acurate? Like perfect? If they are spot-on it would be worth it. Do they offer them as online PDF downloads after you buy or are the tabs mailed out in a printed form?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:56 AM

They would have to be spot on PERFECTION for $10.00.
Goodall Acquistion Syndrome (someday)
Luthier Wannabe Syndrome
Thanks to JR.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:44 PM

Yeah - I agree! kind of why I am asking if anyone else has bought from that site.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:56 PM

Jason,

I've never purchased from him myself, but I do recall a friend had purchased a Micheal Hedges transcription a few years back.

I remember it being a lot more than just tab. It had a ton of performance notes, maybe even a few diagrams, (Could be wrong about the diagrams). Just the one song was probably twenty pages or more. I think he even described how the song was recorded.

Its been a while, but I do remember thinking it was a lot of work put into just one song.

His was mail order. You may be able to download now though.

Are ya gonna try a Hedges tune?

Scott
Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Scott - actually it is a Billy McLaughlin tune. Thanks for the input though! I figured they must have to add a little bit more into the deal to justify charging $10 for a piece of tablature!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:04 PM

I bought one Kottke transcription, and it appears flawless. Of course, I cannot yet play it well enough to vouch for the accuracy; however, Kottke vouches for them.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arteye
Scott - actually it is a Billy McLaughlin tune. Thanks for the input though! I figured they must have to add a little bit more into the deal to justify charging $10 for a piece of tablature!

Billy is one of my fav's. I love his two handed percussive style. I HAD one of his songs worked out. I think it was called "Coffee Break". It was off his "Fingerdance" CD. I think the transcription was in Fingerstyle Magazine a few years ago. It was in an alternate tunning that I never used at the time and I just quit playing the song.

I'm glad you reminded me of Billy. I must see if I remember the song. I haven't played it in a few years.

Fingerstyle magazine use to have some great songs trancribed!

Now, I rarely find one worth playing.

Good luck,

Scott
Old 03-02-2004, 01:36 PM

The Stropes tabs are worth every penny. This isn't just some ASCII tab downloaded off OLGA--it's a dead-on accurate, professional, intelligently presented rendering of the music, with study notes, performance notes, and more. If you think the music is within your grasp to play (but not to figure out on your own), then I recommend his tabs very highly.

John
Old 03-02-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorFishin'
Billy is one of my fav's. I love his two handed percussive style. I HAD one of his songs worked out. I think it was called "Coffee Break". It was off his "Fingerdance" CD. I think the transcription was in Fingerstyle Magazine a few years ago. It was in an alternate tunning that I never used at the time and I just quit playing the song.
Scott - I know the exact track you are talking about. That is a great song. Yeah Billy is amazing for sure! He is one of my favs. The song I want to get the tab to is off "Fingerdance" also. It is called "Breaking of the Shells".

I recently picked up my first issue of fingerstyle over the weekend so I am not farmiliar with past issues. The latest issue I have has Chet Atkins "Vincent" in it and I am really enjoying working on that. That is a beautiful song.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:54 PM

I have bought a Michael Hedges tab book from Stropes but not individual songs or titles. IIRC the cost of the book was about $35.
Godin LG SP90 NAMM special
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oahu
They would have to be spot on PERFECTION for $10.00.
They are!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 03-02-2004, 07:40 PM

I have bought a number of Stropes transcriptions of Leo Kottke tunes. The quality of these transcriptions is excellent because he bases them on seperate videos of both left and right hands in addition to an audio track. He has also developed an extremely accurate tab notation to describe Kottke's unusual damping techniques. In fact, the tabs are so detailed they can be difficult to read. One point I should make, however, is that the transcriptions represent the way that Kottke played the pieces at the time Stopes transcribed them, and therefore they don't represent any particular recorded version of the tune. That can be a little problematic since Kottke rarely plays any of his pieces the same way twice.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 AM

the problem is that it's not only 12$, for me is 36, I don't know if it's from me being from Europe or something but it has shipping charges, why?
Isn't this suposed to be in digital format? What do they exactly need shipping?
I'm not giving 36$ for a single tab!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM

I bought his Hedges book a jillion years ago when it came out. The tabs are a remarkable thing—worked with MH to create a new system of notation in order to represent all the weird stuff MH did.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 PM

As others have said, the price is reflective of what you get. Perfect note-for-note how to play transcriptions of the music. I have several Kottke pieces from him, the old "Masters" book he and Peter Lang wrote, and will probably be going to his weekend class this August.
They are all in sheet form, with nice folio covers. No digital downloads are available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write