The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Introduced another guitar player to CF...

Friends of ours wanted to get together for supper. And bring another couple. The Blonde volunteered our house for the "venue," but our friends brought the steaks and sides. I found out (while grilling the steaks) that she (our friend) had an ulterior motive: seems this friend of theirs is a guitar player (casual) who is on a three month vacation from the frozen northland and didn't bring a guitar with him... "Can you guys play something together?"

Sure.

I took him to my guitar room... not knowing his playing style or how he might treat a guitar, I pulled the Shorty off the wall for him to try. Good choice - he is a "heavy strummer"; I play my guitars with enthusiasm, but don't feel the need to pound them.

"Easy there, big fella - that's a nice guitar. You don't have to 'beat it' to get get a good sound out of it." His playing is mostly three chord steady strumming of classic R&R and country... easy enough to follow, and keep the others entertained.

Our friend (the wife in that couple), after a few adult beverages, kept saying, "Play some more Doobie Brothers!" Made me remember why I quit playing in bars years ago.

I was a gracious host and let him pick songs most of the time. Generally, I play plugged in (even when practicing); glad I decided against that last night. First time I sat in front of the Shorty... it handled the heavy strumming just fine and really punched out the sound.

At the end of the evening, I asked him if he enjoyed the guitar... "That was amazing! I have never heard a carbon fiber guitar before..."

He thanked me, we all said our good-nights. I wiped down the guitars before hanging them back on the wall. I patted the Shorty... "Yes, I know. You handled that better than I did."
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Just curious, if your friend had been honest about her motive, would you have obliged her request?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM

That's a fun story. Music is meant to be shared and I've always let anyone that wants play my guitars.

Someday, I think I'll end up with a carbon fiber guitar.... someday.....
Old 12-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
Just curious, if your friend had been honest about her motive, would you have obliged her request?
Sure. We all had a good time.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
That's a fun story. Music is meant to be shared and I've always let anyone that wants play my guitars.

Someday, I think I'll end up with a carbon fiber guitar.... someday.....
I don't really have a "beater." I intentionally didn't hand him my nicest wood guitars. I took a GSmini down for me to play. He didn't ask if I wanted to swap. He was quite taken with the Shorty.

I bought the carbon fiber Shorty as a travel guitar, but it gets regular play in the rotation when we're home. I completely get the "premise" of carbon fiber, but RainSong's execution makes this a "good" guitar, regardless of the material.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sure. We all had a good time.
That's the downside of reading a story as opposed to hearing it. In your original post I read the word "Sure" with reluctance instead of exuberance. Glad it was a good time!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 AM

Having someone convert doesn't mean they turn their back on tradition. It just means their eyes and mind have been opened to an alternative to Wood.
I have a friend that was a Mid-Atlantic Sales director for Fender Guitars that just ordered his first Carbon fiber guitar. A CO WS1000N2
Last Month I let him take my rainsong home for a week, and he became a believer.
BTW, I think I had a Captain Jim Sighting on LA guitars Web Site. Very cool indeed Jim !
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 AM

I can certainly relate to two things. Heavy strummers and song requests. I too take very good care of my guitars regardless of the value. I have owned stuff I paid waaay too much for, and currently have a Eastman parlor and a Shorty. It would pain me to see someone handle either aggressively. With song requests I am one of those players that makes people walk away.... I have been playing for a long time, but other than stuff I make up, I seriously don't "know" any songs all the way through. Bits and pieces of a lot, but nothing to entertain a listener...LOL!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Vance. I bought a couple guitars from Ted, including the Shorty. He's a straight-shooter.

For the record, I am not out trying to "convert" players to carbon fiber. Like many, I had my suspicions about that "stuff" before I actually tried one... but, I tried it with an open mind. I still like my wood guitars just as much as I did before I bought the Shorty.

We're heading out for a few months, and the Shorty is coming along.

Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Hi Nick,

I have been playing for audiences since I was 12 years old. I enjoy being able to come up with something when there are requests. Of course, it may be an "alternative" to the exact request, but I feel it shows you are trying. Some requests make me chuckle, but I know enough tunes to be able to punt. Well, there was one time when playing for my daughter's class where a young lady asked if I knew any Taylor Swift songs, specifically: Tears On My Guitar... I was having a tough enough time coming up with songs that were appropriate for a 12 year old audience.

I looked the Shorty over after the evening, and she looks just fine. This guy wasn't abusing the guitar, he was just a bit heavy-handed compared to my style. It was still a fun evening. Without knowing the player, I made an executive decision (my guitars, my rules ), and it all turned out fine.

Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For the record, I am not out trying to "convert" players to carbon fiber. Like many, I had my suspicions about that "stuff" before I actually tried one... but, I tried it with an open mind. I still like my wood guitars just as much as I did before I bought the Shorty.
Jim
Exactly! You got it figured out, and have been the ideal advocate for CF guitars!
well done
Enjoy your travels
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Took my Emerald to my local Mom & Pop store to find a soft case for her. Every one there wanted to play her, so I had a great mini concert from other guitarists!!! They were old geezers like me so I wasn't too worried...I am not trying to convert anyone though...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber