The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 AM

Default Emerald Pickup Options

Good morning everyone. I'm thinking very seriously about purchasing an Emerald X20 for some road and outside concerts. I'm not real keen on the barn door pickups and I'm wondering what are some other options for this guitar as far as pickups are concerned.

Also what are some thoughts on the sound of that guitar both acoustically and plugged in? Thanks for your help and input!

Kendall
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Hi Kendall,

If you don't like the b-band that Alistar likes to use, than go with the K&K Mini. We've used them on tons of acoustics, including the carbon fiber guitars we sell with great success.

Good luck
Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Alistair also uses the Baggs Lyric. One is my Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 AM

Hey Ted,
I have a K&K Mini in all my guitars. I'm glad that is a great option. I generally install all mine, I wonder what it would be like to install a K&K with the Off set sound hole.
Kendall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Kendall,

If you don't like the b-band that Alistar likes to use, than go with the K&K Mini. We've used them on tons of acoustics, including the carbon fiber guitars we sell with great success.

Good luck
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Alistair also uses the Baggs Lyric. One is my Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck.
Thanks for the input.
Kendall
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 11-04-2015, 09:27 AM

I agree on hating the barndoor. Put a Lyric in my Doubleneck, because of the added advantage of picking up both necks. Works well. Put a K&K Trinity in my latest wood guitar. Blending mini and condenser mic is as good as I have gotten.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-04-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallhadden View Post
Hey Ted,
I have a K&K Mini in all my guitars. I'm glad that is a great option. I generally install all mine, I wonder what it would be like to install a K&K with the Off set sound hole.
Kendall
The soundhole on the X20OS is rather large, so you should have no problem installing a K&K.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 AM

I'd like to second the K&K mini, which I've installed on two Emeralds. Not too difficult on the X7 and totally easy on the X20. Sounds good, full, and representative of the guitar...no batteries to mess around with, and with a decent amp or PA, no need for an external preamp (though you can get one that clips onto your belt if you need controls).

I tried a Lyric on my X20, and it's an easy install, but I didn't like it as much as the K&K. While the K&K is a bit microphonic, the Lyric lit up my X20, making the whole guitar a microphone--even picking up my shirt rubbing against the back on the guitar. And it picked up my voice, which is especially a concern on the X20, where if you look down, you're singing right into the soundhole and your voice comes through the amp clear as day. I also had to turn the presence all the way down, and then do further amp EQing to get it to sound okay. I can see where it's probably excellent for certain applications (solo instrumentalists, tappers...), but it wasn't a good fit on my X20.

Last edited by tommyld; 11-04-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Hi,

I have had both an x7 (b-band)and currently an x5 (K&K mini) in my guitars. Like many I like the no fuss no muss of the K&K in my guitars. Alistair charges a little more for the K&K because he has the build out the area for the K&K a bit so that there is good contact for the pickups.

With this said..... any advice on how to reduce feedback with the K&K on my x5 would be greatly appreciated. I never had this problem with other guitars and K&K ... Have the volume and gain way down but can not get above min volume without strong feedback.

Any advice??? Do I need a sound hole plug... where do you get one for an emerald... hahahah...

Thanks in advance....
Old 11-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Alistair charges a little more for the K&K because he has the build out the area for the K&K a bit so that there is good contact for the pickups.
I am very happy with the K&K in my X20. Emerald installed it for me.

As Fixedgear60 said in the above quote, Emerald prepares the area under the bridge for the K&K, so if you prefer to install yourself, you might want to talk to Emerald about this option.

Last edited by Uncle Pauhana; 11-04-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Guest 928

I had the B-Band removed from my X10N, and a K&K installed (by Michael). I had the K&K installed my X20-OSN (by Alistair). I also had the K&K installed on my Cargo. As you might guess, I am a fan of the K&K.

For a very long time I would not buy a guitar without the pre-amp and all the goodies. But then I realized that (1) my guitars were balanced enough without a pre-amp and that (2) if I needed one I could use the main amp. Also
the emergence of volume adjustment on cords made an on-board volume control not needed. And then I realized that with mini-tuners (particularly with OS guitars) I no longer needed on-board tuners. And finally, when I experienced the clean sound of the K&K, my days of the on-board were overboard.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 PM

I'm contemplating buying an emerald X7 Artisan, and the pick up is something I am struggling with. This model comes with the B-Band pick up, yet I'm leaning towards the K&K Mini, which is a $150 upgrade. How does the B Band compare with the K & K ? Having said that, would Emerald "credit" you with the value of the B Band pick up not being used in the event the guitar was ordered with the K & K pick up? Keep in mind dollars do matter in this case as I am saving my pennies to see if I can afford the X7.
Also, has anyone in this forum ordered from Emerald and had the guitar shipped to Canada? was there a custom fee applied to the purchase?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
I'm contemplating buying an emerald X7 Artisan, and the pick up is something I am struggling with. This model comes with the B-Band pick up, yet I'm leaning towards the K&K Mini, which is a $150 upgrade. How does the B Band compare with the K & K ? Having said that, would Emerald "credit" you with the value of the B Band pick up not being used in the event the guitar was ordered with the K & K pick up? Keep in mind dollars do matter in this case as I am saving my pennies to see if I can afford the X7.
Also, has anyone in this forum ordered from Emerald and had the guitar shipped to Canada? was there a custom fee applied to the purchase?
I too have been curious and have these same questions. With the closing of MacNichol G&M in SLC, my options for even test driving any acoustic other than RainSong or CA (which even those are hard to find really), are scarce at best. I would love to try an Emerald, especially the Synergy and Amicus. There might be some Emerald wielding warriors from my friends up north that can chime in, but I'm guessing that you will have to pay some form of D&T in Canada.

there are a grand total of six dealers listed on the "dealers" page, Canada is not on list

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/dealer/

However, it is the age of the internet. I would be very surprised if Emerald doesn't have a regular go to contact in Canada, if not a few. My guess is that you should expect to pay at least a couple hundred in CAD for any import fees on top of what your instrument runs you.

Having said that, Emeralds are a steal from what I can see. Top notch, customized, mind-blowing carbon fiber guitars at nearly the price point of the US graphite market! A guitar that most certainly outlast everyone on here talking about them. What's not to like??
Old 11-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
I'm in the Ottawa area. PM sent.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I too have been curious and have these same questions. With the closing of MacNichol G&M in SLC, my options for even test driving any acoustic other than RainSong or CA (which even those are hard to find really), are scarce at best. I would love to try an Emerald, especially the Synergy and Amicus. There might be some Emerald wielding warriors from my friends up north that can chime in, but I'm guessing that you will have to pay some form of D&T in Canada.

there are a grand total of six dealers listed on the "dealers" page, Canada is not on list

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/dealer/

However, it is the age of the internet. I would be very surprised if Emerald doesn't have a regular go to contact in Canada, if not a few. My guess is that you should expect to pay at least a couple hundred in CAD for any import fees on top of what your instrument runs you.

Having said that, Emeralds are a steal from what I can see. Top notch, customized, mind-blowing carbon fiber guitars at nearly the price point of the US graphite market! A guitar that most certainly outlast everyone on here talking about them. What's not to like??
PM sent...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber