The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Default Blackbird Lucky 13 versus Rainsong Shorty

I owned a Rainsong Shorty for awhile and thoroughly enjoyed being able to leave it out on a stand for ready access. I was happy with the tone compared with my first guitar, a Taylor GC3. Then I purchased a Taylor 522 12-fret. The 12 fret is so enjoyable to play and hear that I decided I didn't need the Rainsong. Alas, I'm missing the convenience of a guitar that I can leave out of its case or grab for a road trip. I'm considering another carbon fiber guitar. I'm tempted to get another Shorty but wonder if I might enjoy a Lucky 13 more. I'm a mediocre fingerstyle beginner who enjoys noodling around on the couch and practicing from Mark Hansen's finger style books. Any suggestions from AGF members will be appreciated.
Mark

Last edited by azrunner; 08-21-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Never seen a lucky 13 in person. Comparing CF guitars is hard unless you live in Ted's shop, there just are not enough out there for exposure.

Rainsongs are also hard to find. The nearest Shorty to you is probably mine.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 AM

The L-13 is more of a bluesy tone. I find the RainSongs to be brighter, even the Shorty hybrid.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
The L-13 is more of a bluesy tone. I find the RainSongs to be brighter, even the Shorty hybrid.
L13 original was blusey but the latest version starting 2014? with the side port is really a warmer small guitar sound. I have a Rainsong Jumbo and do find it brighter but the L13 has its charms. I think the biggest difference for me is I like the L13s neck a little better. And I love the Gibson look over the Shorty but that's me.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 AM

I appreciate the input. It sounds like the update on the Lucky 13 would be to me liking. Since I play mostly for my own enjoyment (other than an occasional "that sounds nice" from my wife) the sound port would be a neat addition. I did notice the neck on my Rainsong to be a little "chunky". My 522 12-fret lacks a cutaway. I imagine the Lucky 13 would allow more access higher up the neck.
I appreciate my mahogany Taylors warmth without of some the stereotypical Taylor brightness. I'm imaging the Blackbird would have some of that warmth while maintaining individual note clarity.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM

I have had my Lucky 13 for about a month now and absolutely am impressed with it. Living in central FL and its humidity I was looking for something to take out with me. I just returned from a 5 day business road trip and the guitar is still in tune since Monday. It is the newer version and now that the infatuation period is over find it has staying power with me.

Next month I getting a new bicycle and looking forward to taking it out into parks, etc. Possible rain? No problem. I am a believer...

Oh yeah, it has a K&K in it and now I can play anywhere with it...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 08-21-2015, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the input Grandaddadgad. I sense the Lucky 13 will click all the right buttons for me. I was surprised to see you're selling your Taylor 12-fret (noted in your signature). I can't imagine parting with my Taylor 522 12-fret. How would you compare the Lucky 13 to your Taylor 12-fret, playability wise, comfort wise, neck profile, tone, etc?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:32 PM

The Taylor is an incredible guitar, tone, playability, size and build quality. The Blackbird is slightly smaller, the 13-fret is similar to the 12-fret and it a bit louder. Neck is comfortable but a little more like a Gibson neck (which I like).
Like many on the forum, only so much capital and space and wife and I are looking at retirement and downsizing so one has to go...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 PM

I remain super intrigued about the L13, I love the way those babies look .

I would not attempt to dissuade a person to any given guitar (especially since I cannot fairly speak on the L13) , but I would, however, at least try the Shorty or even a Concert hybrid before deciding- just to know for sure. Nothing like playing the guitar right? I guess that kinda means I hope I never have the opportunity to play the L13!

I actually love the profile of the NS neck but it did take some adjusting. The Shorty is a bright guitar but that is precisely what I love about it and I also prefer the placement and brand of the tuners on the Shorty. Don't you all feel CF guitars are brighter in general? Certainly a modern tone across the board even when they differ greatly between make and model?

I cannot justify both in my collection but if I ever am afforded the opportunity for a second CF, the Amicus or Synergy also have me looking for the Tums.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:45 PM

....just realized my duplicate post. I'll blame it on poor internet connection and issues with my tablet!

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-22-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Default lucky 13

I have owned the L13 and have played the Shorty.
I have owned CA and several Rainsongs.
The L13 is by far the superior CF guitar. (IMHO)
Neck is comfortable
Tone is awesome (for a CF guitar)
Side port allows the player to actually 'hear' what is being played!
Excellent construction.
After writing this, kinda wish I didn't sell.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I remain super intrigued about the L13, I love the way those babies look .

I would not attempt to dissuade a person to any given guitar (especially since I cannot fairly speak on the L13) , but I would, however, at least try the Shorty or even a Concert hybrid before deciding- just to know for sure. Nothing like playing the guitar right? I guess that kinda means I hope I never have the opportunity to play the L13!

I actually love the profile of the NS neck but it did take some adjusting. The Shorty is a bright guitar but that is precisely what I love about it and I also prefer the placement and brand of the tuners on the Shorty. Don't you all feel CF guitars are brighter in general? Certainly a modern tone across the board even when they differ greatly between make and model?

I cannot justify both in my collection but if I ever am afforded the opportunity for a second CF, the Amicus or Synergy also have me looking for the Tums.
"I actually love the profile of the NS neck but it did take some adjusting."

Would love to have you explain this as I tend to agree with you except for the love part. To me its always tends to be love at first sight?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Would love to have you explain this as I tend to agree with you except for the love part. To me its always tends to be love at first sight?
Hey Steve. The problem with the CF guitars in general is that they are hard to come by. If I had discovered the world of CF earlier I would have likely participated more in MacNichol's road trips and had more opportunity to play different makes and models. I readily admit that the L13 would be a heavy weight contender in my purchase making decision had I had a chance to play one- but that did not happen for me. I can't feel that I'm missing out on something I have no idea about.

I knew I loved the Shorty purely from a specs standpoint before I ever even played one. When I finally did, I didn't purchase the guitar right away but could not remove the memory from my mind- so in some ways it was love at first sight (sound and feel too). The NS neck grows on me the more I play it even though it was an adjustment from every neck I played previously. I certainly like it better than the N1, which I have played and the NS is a lot like the neck on the first guitar I ever purchased way back in 1988. Kind of nostalgic for me really, even the same color! So, my situation is unique I suppose. *Note: I also never play with my fretting thumb over the neck
Old 08-23-2015, 07:01 AM

I travel extensively for work (2 weeks a month avg.) and have the opportunity to visit lots of guitar stores (and even play an occasional Craigslist posting). I was able to play CA's Cargo & OX, Rainsong's Shorty & Parlor and the Blackbird Lucky 13.

The Lucky 13 was my choice based on feel, sound and size. I have traveled with the L13 (it easily fits in the overhead compartment). As with so many postings on the AGF, it still comes down to personal preference.

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 PM

I was fortunate in my visit to LA Guitar, got to play L13, Shorty, RS Parlor, and McPherson Kevin Michael... side by side with my WS1000, shop was empty so I played for hours... what a GREAT day!

For me, there was no question as to the better option in small bodies (none of them had the OOOOMMPH of my WS1000, but all had great tonal qualities)... the Lucky 13 is an amazing player experience. There are 3 soundholes on the L13... soundboard, lower bout side, headstock... the result is unique for the player... different and extremely satisfying. I also preferred the look, the body size, and the playability of the L13.

PS: I got to play them all thru the Schertler Jam 150... WOW! No question what my next amp will be.

Each to his own, only you can decide, but for me it was a no-brainer. I just sold my Fishman Soloamp and I'm getting the Schertler... am now selling all 4 of my guitars, and the L13 will be my only guitar. I am simplifying my life, and I found a guitar/amp solution that, for me, is a superior solution.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber