The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

No such warning came with them, and I cut all of them prior to installing on the tuning machines without a problem -
Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Hey Westman:

Maybe I missed it, but no where does it say on the SCGC website that the core wires are thinner. They discuss the ratio between the core and outer wire diameters, but I think they are pointing to the tighter tolerances of the wire diameters as a key factor.
lfoo, OK if that's how u read it.

It's just another string brand (with tailored EQ) that someones selling.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 PM

The tailored EQ is the selling point here.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM

bozz, it seems their EQ tailoring is optimized for their building methods -
"commercially available strings were never able to truly complement the complexity of overtones and sustain that SCGC achieves by individually tap tuning and hand voicing each guitar."

So since my Eastman E6OM was not 'tap tuned' what so ever never mind the SCGC way does this mean I'd be wasting my money fitting these them ?, according to what they're saying it would seem to be the case.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:36 PM

I don't think it would be a waste, based on whether or not your guitar was tap toned for voicing. Not necessarily. In theory, we ought to be able to take advantage of a balanced EQ regardless of the guitar they're strung up on. Of course, the more finely the instrument is constructed, the more likely it is that something so minimally different could make should make a difference in tone. On a guitar box constructed of plywood, such a change may make no perceptible difference whatsoever.

The strings are designed to exert an even force across the saddle to achieve even volume and balanced tone. I ordered a couple sets, to decide if the price tag is justified. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't. Maybe I notice it, maybe I don't. Maybe I like it, maybe I won't. But I like tinkering, so am excited to give it a try!

Last edited by bozz_2006; 07-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I think this would be easier if you read what Richard has to say, which is extremely straightforward, rather than trying to read more into the comments of others -

"Tension, not gauge, is our target."

"The results are optimally balanced strings that are close enough to traditional gauging to feel just right without being confined by traditional sizing which contradicts logical relative tensions. Remember; our motivation is continuous advancement of the acoustic guitar and an ongoing control of variables such as strings or pickups. The fact that we can offer them to you is a nice byproduct of our perpetual improvement rather than the questionable need of a new string brand."

No one is saying you need them, or that they guarrantee any improvement on your specific guitar. They are the result of decades of experience building extremely fine guitars by hand, and a feeling that these could improve the guitar playing experience. They have their hands full building guitars - they don't need to get into anything else. But Richard felt it was worth his time and effort to make these available. If you don't wish to or want to believe him, and if you aren't willing to try them for yourself, thats fine. But the effort should not be written off as just an attempt at re-marketing or re-branding some old product or "the questionable need of a new string brand."

My experience so far has been very good. But these are not a "fad" item, so I'm happy to give them a few months or more and to try them on a few different guitars - even non-Santa Cruz - before I make any "final" judgements. Hope you'll do the same -
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 AM

I threw a set of the "low tension" strings on one of my guitars yesterday. I really like the sound they produce, it's definitely very full. They provide a nice timbre from strum one, much better than other coated strings I've played with. They are also highly playable and have a nice feel.

That being said, there's nothing earth shattering about them. If they can maintain their sound for a good while, then I'd say they're a solid investment. Otherwise, I'd probably just stick with my EJ16s. I'll follow up after some solid play time.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM

I don't have time to read this whole thread, anyone had them on long enough to give a longevity report?

That's the selling point for Elixir, for me. Yes I am paying much more for the strings,but the cost pretty much evens out if you figure how many sets you would use during the months that the Elixirs last.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM

Can't speak to longevity at this point as I just restrung for the first time last night, but I think my search is over. I LOVE them.

Mark
Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 AM

I don't see the gauges listed on the site. Are the low tension medium gauge?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
I don't see the gauges listed on the site. Are the low tension medium gauge?
"Gauge means nothing. Tension means everything."

~Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings

But in all seriousness, the "low tension" are essentially lights and the "mid tension" are essentially mediums.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucedup View Post
"Gauge means nothing. Tension means everything."

~Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings

But in all seriousness, the "low tension" are essentially lights and the "mid tension" are essentially mediums.
The website recommends mid tension for dreads only, low tension for smaller bodies.

Concur?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 PM

I would like to hear anyone who has used these AND the Thomastiks for a comparison.

Thomastiks were a mixed review here with the consensus leaning more toward the negative side.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 PM

Thomastiks die very premature deaths underneath my fingers.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
Thomastiks die very premature deaths underneath my fingers.
Me too.

The SCGC strings have been on about a week and are a joy. To my ears, they sound the same as they did at an hour or so in. This makes a lot of sense when you consider they are all under equal tension and won't "fight" against each other. Plus, my fingers just love them.

It won't be long before I try a set on my other acoustics. IMO, these are a cut above most other strings. Lovin' them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion