The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustic Neck fix.

Now sure if this should go into the repair/build catogory or not. So I will see the response I get here.

I have the opportunity to get a 2008 GX composite Acoustic at a very good price.
However there is a reason the price is so good. It has the neck angle issue, therefor the action is a little high. My Gut tells me run for the hills (and I always listen to my gut). I have no interest in this guitar unless there are options. Has anyone ever tried to Shave down the bridge so the saddle could be lowered to achieve good action. If yes, were there break angle issues over the saddle.

Let me know if you think this should be move to the repair/build section.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM

I think you are in the right section, among the carbon fans. This is a carbon-specific issue, not a general repair question. Calling Peavey and asking would give you the definitive answer. And 2008 means the old CA company, now defunct. Not clear if Peavey would help you out, since they didn't build it.

My understanding is that once the neck is on, it is on for good. Bolted and epoxied, so very hard to remove. I may be wrong, but rather than repairing, warranty claims on defective CF guitars pretty much require a full replacement guitar. You might tweak things with some saddle shaving, but you are taking a risk. It would have to be a SUPER deal that you could afford a total loss on, IMO.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Run for the hills, there is no fixing a CA with a bad neck angle.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Honestly I would only take it if it was free. I am not aware of any repair options. Peavey customer service may be able to give you a definitive answer over the phone (although I have not found them to be overly informative). It's worth a call. The guitar is pretty much firewood as far as I am concerned. Oh wait, it's not wood. So not even firewood!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 PM

I have a 2009 GX with a good neck - where were you when I was selling it? (I moved out of the US now) I don't know about repairing necks but I used mine for a while as a lap slide guitar before I got my weissenborn; put on a nut extender. It sounded excellent. Perhaps it can be re-purposed.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Now sure if this should go into the repair/build catogory or not. So I will see the response I get here.

I have the opportunity to get a 2008 GX composite Acoustic at a very good price.
However there is a reason the price is so good. It has the neck angle issue, therefor the action is a little high. My Gut tells me run for the hills (and I always listen to my gut). I have no interest in this guitar unless there are options. Has anyone ever tried to Shave down the bridge so the saddle could be lowered to achieve good action. If yes, were there break angle issues over the saddle.

Let me know if you think this should be move to the repair/build section.
Some of these original CA's not only had a neck angle issue, but also exhibited too much relief. I would advise having a qualified luthier look at it before making the purchase, otherwise I would pass.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Some of these original CA's not only had a neck angle issue, but also exhibited too much relief. I would advise having a qualified luthier look at it before making the purchase, otherwise I would pass.
I had a Composite Acoustics top of the line Tim Stafford Signature Model Dreadnought with on-board Aura that had too much neck relief and returned it. My first CA was a Bluegrass Performer with on-board Aura. Right out of the case, the bridge peeled away from the top as I tuned-up for the first time. Back she went too. I think the new Peavey CAs are an improvement but I bought a used 2013 Peavey CA RAW Dreadnought a year ago that had a swale in the fingerboard between the twelfth fret and body that bugged me. I returned it. That Peavey CA Legacy RAW dreadnought acoustic-electric had the best tone of any dreadnought carbon guitar that I've ever played or owned and I've owned four RainSong dreads over the years. A CA Legacy RAW a/e is still on my short list and I'll buy one when I find one that meets my standards.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I went to play the guitar yesterday and that was exactly the issue. It clearly had to much relief and there was no way it could have been set up to my preference.

It was a shame for the guitar had really nice sound. O well.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber