The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Default What is the pricing for a CA Cargo??

It seems that they were about a grand like a year ago, but now Sweetwater has the Cargo for $1,600??? Is this accurate?

I am looking to sell my CA Cargo (no electronics) and have no idea what would be a fair price.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM

FWIW, we paid around $1250 last year locally for a blue gloss Cargo w/ electronics. But yes, the prices seem to have jumped lately.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM

I've seen new Cargos w/o electronics between 999 and 1399 lately. Seems like last year they were like 899.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 PM

Those prices were for new. With electronics, or in high gloss were more expensive.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

You know, I just noticed the same thing. I got a Cargo Raw less than 18 months ago. At that time, the Raw w/out pickup was $899 and with the pickup was $999.

I just saw the same two guitars for $1399 and $1599! And the high gloss versions were priced above that.

What gives?!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM

It is either of two things: if they cannot keep up with strong demand, the price goes higher (basic supply and demand economics). The more likely scenario is that they were building and selling them at a bit of a loss to help establish the brand, and now need to raise prices to keep them in production. Seems like building at a loss was the issue that killed off the original CA company. CF is simply not cheap to execute.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
You know, I just noticed the same thing. I got a Cargo Raw less than 18 months ago. At that time, the Raw w/out pickup was $899 and with the pickup was $999.

I just saw the same two guitars for $1399 and $1599! And the high gloss versions were priced above that.

What gives?!
As I predicted they would a few years ago right here, Peavey is slowly bringing the price up to where it will be profitable to build the guitars. Before CA went under in March of 2010, we were their biggest dealers, we advertised the Cargo RAW at $799 and the OX RAW at $999. They sold well at those prices of course, but I was told both models were costing the company money. Although there isn't much difference between building a GX or a Cargo, the Cargo was a third of the price. Even with the new higher MAP the Cargo is still half the price of the GX.

Problem for Peavey is that if they raise the price of the Cargo above $1500, they will have to compete with the Blackbird Rider and the Rainsong Parlor, and those are some tough competitors.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the explanation, Ted. Hard for me to see that as "slowly," but I understand. Guess it makes me glad I got mine when I did. Think I'll hold on to it.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Ted. Hard for me to see that as "slowly," but I understand. Guess it makes me glad I got mine when I did. Think I'll hold on to it.
Well it did take them four years to go from $799 to $1599 for a RAW Cargo. Not sure what Peavey is doing BTW, looks like gloss is selling for the same price as RAW on some websites.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:14 PM

I am sorry, but IMO, the Cargo is not worth over a grand. It's a decent travel guitar, but nothing to write home about. At the $1,600 price point, it is up there with the Emerald X20. I may be a bit biased because I wasn't thrilled with my Cargo even at $900. $1,600 is a joke. In my opinion of course.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I paid $750 for my Cargo RT finish in early '08. I would've paid more at the time, and although I love it, no way it's a $1,500 guitar today. I'd say $1,100 tops, maybe another $100 for the gloss.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
I am sorry, but IMO, the Cargo is not worth over a grand. It's a decent travel guitar, but nothing to write home about. At the $1,600 price point, it is up there with the Emerald X20. I may be a bit biased because I wasn't thrilled with my Cargo even at $900. $1,600 is a joke. In my opinion of course.
No need to apologize, according to my favorite CA dealer you are not the only one who feels that way. I paid 699 for my Cargo raw, it's what it's worth. And since you brought it up, I never could get used to the crappy tone of the Emerald X series, I would pay 2K for a Cargo before I would buy an Emerald X7 or X20, that's how much I hate the tone.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
No need to apologize, according to my favorite CA dealer you are not the only one who feels that way. I paid 699 for my Cargo raw, it's what it's worth. And since you brought it up, I never could get used to the crappy tone of the Emerald X series, I would pay 2K for a Cargo before I would buy an Emerald X7 or X20, that's how much I hate the tone.
Tone is too subjective to really argue about (not that we are arguing). I love the tone of my X20. I also love the tone of my Larrivee D-03, but have not liked the tone of other Larrivees I have played as well as some high end Martins and Guilds I have owned in the past. It's all subjective based on the person.

I can say, objectively, however that the build quality on my Cargo is not that of a guitar costing over a grand. I could go into detail, but just take a peek inside the Cargo versus an Emerald X20. Huge difference from the rough ugly unfinished interior of the Cargo to the smooth gorgeous interior of the X20.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I was interested in the GX but for almost 3 grand.........it is a tough pill to swallow.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber