The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Neck Width Question

Do any of the CF makers offer a wide neck, like 1-7/8" or even 2"? A brief visit to a couple web sites didn't turn up anything.

Dave
Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 PM

Emerald will by custom order. Can't recall if details are on the website, but getting in touch with Alistair through the website will get you your answers. Great guy to deal with
Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

I've had two Emeralds with 1 7/8" nut width. They are marvelous. In my book, the best hybrid between the steel and nylon strung guitar.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Emerald will by custom order. Can't recall if details are on the website, but getting in touch with Alistair through the website will get you your answers. Great guy to deal with
It's on the website. (go to any model and click on the "Custom" button)

Cost of a custom neck width is $300.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-28-2015, 12:07 AM

Leviora in Germany list neck width as "on request"...
http://leviora-guitars.de/en/guitars/steelstring/

Price depends on options selected but they are not cheap.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Just to add, I've spoke to Alistair (of Emerald) today about the same subject (though in my case to talk through making the nut a smidge narrower).

Couldn't be a more helpful and lovely guy to deal with. We discussed changes not only to the nut, but to string spacing, fret-board width (over and above basic nut width) and neck profile. It seems all can be tailored to your needs, so I'd recommend giving him a call.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM

Blackbird can also handle this for you, any of their guitars can be special ordered with a wider, or narrower nut.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all of you for the information. It isn't apparent just visiting their web sites but I'm glad to see they do offer options for us with big hands and stubby, blunt fingers. (smile)

Dave
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

Blackbird and Emerald are willing to pursue player inclinations which is pretty neat from a players point of view. It's also rather neat from a makers point of view since a little R & D gets done with players helping to pay the price.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Blackbird and Emerald are willing to pursue player inclinations which is pretty neat from a players point of view. It's also rather neat from a makers point of view since a little R & D gets done with players helping to pay the price.
It's not that Alistar and Joe are "willing" to offer custom options, it's that they are small enough, and use cheaper molds that allow them to be able to offer some options. The aluminum neck molds for instance used by Rainsong cost tens of thousands of dollars, so it's a serious commitment to offer different size necks, but it's the only way to provide the incredible consistency that Rainsong is known for.

BTW, I'm not convinced offering custom neck options translates to much R&D, but it's definitely nice to have options.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:38 PM

Hi Ted, I really appreciate both of your replies... interesting explanations of why one builder can customize and another can't. I was unaware of Blackbird ability to do a custom neck width. I still plan to order a Lucky 13 from you... now I will order with a 1-13/16" nut width.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber