The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-12-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Les Pauls.... are Gibsons much better than Epiphones?

I just read an article in Vintage Guitar about the various Les Paul reissues. I am sort of interested in a Les Paul but can't see spending the $$$s on an electric like that as I am primarily a bluegrass/alt country picker. How do the Epiphone or Ephiphone Elite Les Pauls compare to the real deal Gibsons?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 PM

That's a bit like trying to compare a Taylor with a cheapo laminated acoustic guitar... They are nothing alike (apart from the shape)

Real Gibsons are made of better stuff - the wood used, the pickups, the finish etc etc) - You get what you pay for...

Epiphones also have notoriously bad wiring... However.... if you can get past this - and bung in decent pickups replacing the horrible ones that come as standard (expect to pay £200 - 300 for a set of decent pickups)... you'll have a decent(ish) guitar...

Having said all this.... You can get much better value elsewhere... You don't need to spend over a thousand £ for a decent electric. The most important factor is getting the right pickups in the guitar for your style of playing... then the next most important bit is what wood the guitar is made from... Expect to pay around £600 - £1000 for a decent electric.
355KCE LTD ('03)
Ibanez RG550EX
Yamaha RBX270 Bass
Old 01-12-2004, 05:11 PM

As a multi Les Paul owner.... and I have bought and sold probably over 50 in my life, I can say I would not give a nickle for a Epiphone Les Paul. They are junk..... period. Save your money and buy the real deal if you want a LP.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:33 PM

Thumbs up

I am not, nor intend to be argumentative. I agree, even though I do not own one, that Gibson Les Pauls are one of a kind. One is hard pressed to argue with 50 years of success and all of the legions of players who swear by them, and rightfully so. However, Iceman, if I read your post correctly, you are inquiring about the Elite version Epiphone Les Paul. In talking to a number of very dedicated and loyal Les Paul players and owners, they gave a big thumbs up to the Elite version. In light of you stating your musical playing style, it might be something you want to consider, or at least A/B it with a Gibson Les Paul, allowing your ears, hands, fingers, and wallet make the final decision. I agree, that in the past, if one purchased a "regular" Epi Les Paul, it was a given you would be facing: replacing the tuners, input jack, pickup selector switch, and probably the pickups; and probably at least one high fret as well. From what I understand, most of these previous problems have been addressed with the newer Elite version. Whether it would be considered gig worthy for a touring professional may be another matter and not one for me to decide.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:41 PM

go with the Epi. Gibson's are like Harley's....overpriced and overrated.

i also think the Elite is overpriced.....just my opinion. i'd buy a real Epi. standard lp, swap the pups, tuners, and switch's....and you've got a nice guitar.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I used an LP as my main electric squeeze for nearly twenty years. After having evaluated the Gibsons and Epis (I own an Epi '58 Korina Flying V copy), I still say the best bet for someone on a budget is to buy an LP Studio. The wood is good, the electronics are good, the finish is poly (more durable that nitro and doesn't interact with most body chemistries, unlike nitro). They can be set up well.

The trick with Gibsons is to play a bunch and buy one that plays well and sounds good. Then get a professional setup. You'll need that for an Epi, too.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM

the Elites feature US electronics and P`ups, choice wood and finishes and are MIJ. In Japan the Les Paul Elites have the Gibson headstock. Not cheap though.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
More guitars than talent

If money is a factor, buy a used Epi LP and change the tuners, pickups and nut and you will have a pretty decent guitar. I did that with mine except that I bought it new. I did play a lot before I found a good one. I will also say that I played a lot of new Gibsons and the Epi "felt" better than any of them. Gibson has a QC issue in my opinion straight from the factory set-up is bad.

Epi resale is pretty bad, so used is best. I did end up selling mine because I had a Gibson LP Custom fall into my lap for $975. I really didn't need to LP's and I got rid of the copy. I really couldn't tell that much difference between the 2 soundwise after I changed the pups. I had a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Custum in the bridge, Grover tuners and a graphtech nut.

Agile LP copies are getting rave reviews and are supposed to be much better quality than Epi at half the price. Real tops, not photocopies. Grover tuners stock, etc. They are at rondomusic.com

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 01-12-2004, 08:29 PM

I've had one of each, and honestly didn't care for either. The Gibson was certainly nicer, but ultimately it just wasn't my style of guitar. The Epiphone I have I gave to my step-father to play cause I just didn't care for it either. Mainly because the tuning machines were crap, and the pickups didn't sound that great either. Honestly when I had it on stage, I dreaded playing it, and would retune my Strat instead given the time (it has a single space humbucker in the bridge). But that's just me.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 01-12-2004, 09:12 PM

IMO the les paul has a certain feel that is hard for me to describe but i like it hands above all electrics that i have played. In the past I have had the pleasure to own 3 les pauls and had no regrets other than my divorce judge was a real %#@@ but thats another story
Old 01-12-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelmag
In the past I have had the pleasure to own 3 les pauls and had no regrets other than my divorce judge was a real %#@@ but thats another story
lol...I think I know that story!! Lost my '57 goldtop in my divorce.

But it was worth it!!!

Hey plexipunk, you didn't get your '57 junior thru Retromusic did you? I sold mine to them about 10 years ago...tobacco sunburst, one cutaway, gouge in the headstock and a GREAT junior. I owned it a long time...took it around the globe. Swapped it for a musicman stingray 5 bass that is my "rock" so I made out ok...but old guitars are like old girlfriends...
Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I've had both... I had an Epi LP Std some years ago. It was OK, but if I had kept it, I'm sure the aformentioned electronics changes would have been made.

I had a Gibson LP Studio that was nice enough, but I sort of fell for it because of what the LP represents and once I had it, I felt it didn't give me back any particularly interesting tones. The bridge tone and both tone were OK, but the neck tone was no different from the both tone. As a hobbiest playing in a bedroom and recording, as opposed to turning it up and playing through a Marshall Stack, I wasn't able to take advantage of what the LP could do under the right conditions.

Since then, I've discovered the PRS guitars. The ones with the 5 way rotary switch have a great tonal palette and for humbucker tones, I prefer them to Gibsons every which way possible.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:12 AM

I'll probably ruffle some feathers with this, but so be it...

I've seen some pretty unacceptable finsih work coming out of both Nashville and Memphis. If you're spending a couple grand on a guitar, you shouldn't have "orange peel" anywhere on the guitar. However, I've seen it on more than a few Gibsons.

I don't know that I'd go the Epiphone Standard route, but I would definitely check out the Epiphone Elites. They're a bit more expensive, but the build quality is excellent, and a case is included in the price...

Steve
Old 01-13-2004, 02:29 AM
AGF Bouncer

If I had to choose a Gibson or an Epiphone, I would certainly choose a Gibson, though honestly I don't care much for either; just not the feel I like from a guitar.

For the money of a Les Paul I'd sooner invest in a PRS Singlecut (if that type of guitar were my goal).

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:18 AM

I like my Les Paul...
and as far as I can tell, the Epi Elite has Gibson's quality without the Gibson price.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars