The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Winter in the desert...

Our home is in a sub-tropical climate; we don't spend a lot of time there. For the past month or so, we have been traveling/living in our RV in the desert southwest. The RainSong Shorty came along with us - bought for this purpose.

Last night, the humidity was 24%... earlier in the day it was 8%! I love my wood guitars, but when I brought those to this area in the past, it was a constant effort, trying to keep them at a proper humidity level. Did I mention: 8% relative humidity??!!

The RainSong not only handles this fine, it sounds great, holds tune fine, I can keep it out, and it travels on the bed in the Access gig bag I bought for it.

Yes, I bought it just for these circumstances... but I keep playing it 'cause it sounds so good.

A couple years ago (before I bought the Shorty), I went into a GC in Phoenix and asked about carbon fiber guitars... no one there was familiar with them. I literally had to spell "RainSong" for the guy to check inventory.

Missed opportunity, huh?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:15 PM

I picked up my Shorty FT through Guitar Center's website, used, after a lot of research (I already had a Rainsong P12 Parlor).

My local GC store in VA didn't have any Rainsongs, *but the sales guy (who knew the name) did an online search of their used inventory company-wide ... and found mine (with electronics) for under $1,500, which was great for me.

If they had a new one in stock at the store that day I would have bought it after playing it. Yes, a missed opportunity for the AZ store in your case, and the VA store in my case missed the chance to sell a new one.

Carbon fiber makes good sense on your desert trip. I remember coming upon the dessicated ribs of dead Saguaro cactii, skeletons really, like kiln-dried poles. *I'd hate to worry about humidifying a wood guitar in that environment.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

Did I mention: 8% relative humidity??!!
Welcome to Arizona. We're used to it.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 PM

Tonight there will be a 50°C (that's 90°F) difference between the temperature outside and the temperature inside - fairly typical of our winters. I'm struggling to keep the indoor RH slightly above 30%.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM

Sam Ashe in Phoenix has some RainSongs sometimes....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Sam Ashe in Phoenix has some RainSongs sometimes....
That is where I first played a RS Parlor - they had just gotten one in last year. If I were in the guitar biz in the desert, I'd be promoting the heck out of CF.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 PM

I usually visit the Sam Ash store in Phoenix when visiting the in-laws. They often have one or two Rainsongs in stock, but I usually bring mine along from home on the AZ trips. Next trip it will probably be the Rainsong WS-1000 and the Cargo CA (my wife's guitar, but very nice).

I was grousing just a little about the air being so dry, and the salesman looked at me funny and said, "You're not from around here are you? We love it when it gets UP to 35% RH -- like today".
Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM

Let me know when you are in town again...maybe jam some
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-23-2015, 09:46 AM

PM sent, Kramster.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 PM

PM received. It's like team work

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber