The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Affordable carbon fibre guitars

Just curious, I am a newbie, only own one guitar (GS Mini) and I have been looking at carbon fibre guitars, mainly because my other passion is flyfishing and I'd love to bring a guitar along for my fishing trips. Wooden guitars you can find for as low as a couple of hundred dollars. Is there such option for carbon fibre guitars? I wouldn't even think of bringing my only guitar along on any of these trips (sun, rain, rocks, etc.). Is there lower price carbon fibre guitars out there? I realize I would be sacrificing some sound quality, but I would be looking for an affordable carbon fibre beater for these trips. I could not bring myself to bringing a $ 1500 plus carbon fibre guitar on these trips.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 PM

I am not aware of any CF guitars in the price range of the GS Mini. The Composite Acoustics Cargo travel guitar is a great instrument but comes in new around $999 (for the "raw" version). If you could find them used, I assume you can get one for less, but still probably more than the GS Mini. (I am guessing here). The "raw" finish is rougher and designed for the rigors of the road.
The new Journey Carbon Fiber guitar is also expected to be around the $1,000 mark. These are the most affordable models I am aware of.
Hope this helps.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 11-02-2014, 01:45 AM

I have a GS Mini as well and it really can't be beaten for the price point. Carbon Fiber is just more expensive than wood so even taking the labor out of the country can only help so much. The advantage of CF is you can buy used with a little more confidence than wood and you may be able to find a used CF at a better price point but still not really at tha GSM range, but you might get closer.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Even used, you won't find any CF guitars for less than $500-600. A used raw Cargo might be found in the $700-800 range.

You might be able to find an Emerald X5 (original design or offset soundhole version) for under $700.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

You won't be giving up any "sound quality"....it will sound a bit different, but still excellent. You may consider buying a better guitar than the GS Mini, then making your Mini a travel guitar. They can handle it very well. Good Luck.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You won't be giving up any "sound quality"....it will sound a bit different, but still excellent. You may consider buying a better guitar than the GS Mini, then making your Mini a travel guitar. They can handle it very well. Good Luck.
I would agree that Mini Gig Bag is awesome laminates take travel well. That is what it is made for.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
Just curious, I am a newbie, only own one guitar (GS Mini) and I have been looking at carbon fibre guitars, mainly because my other passion is flyfishing and I'd love to bring a guitar along for my fishing trips. Wooden guitars you can find for as low as a couple of hundred dollars. Is there such option for carbon fibre guitars? I wouldn't even think of bringing my only guitar along on any of these trips (sun, rain, rocks, etc.). Is there lower price carbon fibre guitars out there? I realize I would be sacrificing some sound quality, but I would be looking for an affordable carbon fibre beater for these trips. I could not bring myself to bringing a $ 1500 plus carbon fibre guitar on these trips.
The cost of materials to build a carbon fiber guitar can be twice that of materials for a solid wood acoustic so you are not likely to ever see a carbon fiber guitar at, or under $500. My suggestion is to take your GS Mini fishing and don't worry about it, that is what the guitar was designed to do.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:04 PM

Default Rainsong Projection Series

http://www.rainsong.com/models/projection.html

I used to have one of these in a dreadnought size. It wasn't as nice as the more expensive Rainsong models, but it cost less than a grand new and you might be able to find a used one close to your price range.

http://www.rainsong.com/forasong.pdf

I also used to have one of these Advanced Series models, and it's currently at our Church. Also not as nice as the more expensive models, but durable since it contains no wood.

Last edited by guitararmy; 11-02-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 PM

Thank you all for your comments and replies. I will continue to hunt something down that will suit my needs. I guess I should have clarified in my original post that my fishing trips would include wading in waist deep water with the guitar strapped to my back while I fish or the guitar sitting in the boat with water coming in over the sides. I cannot imagine a wooden guitar taking that type of beating.
Ted, I had no idea that a man made material like carbon fibre would cost twice as much as wood, that bit of information certainly explained a lot. BTW, you sure have some beautiful guitars for sale (I am partial to the Taylors)
Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM

There is one other CF guitar that's kind of designed with what you seem to have in mind. Can't imagine they sound very good, but you might want to check out the Alpaca (they still cost over $600, though):

http://alpacaguitar.com/alpaca-carbo...travel-guitar/
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 AM

You should check the Comments section of the original Kickstarter project for the Alpaca, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...uitar/comments .

It's been a year and half since they were funded and they are still completing the guitars for that project which they will do first before making new orders. They make about 10 per month, so it might be a long wait till you could order one.

That said, some liked the guitar, some really didn't--so if you search, you might find some for sale within your price range if that type of guitar appeals to you.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
You should check the Comments section of the original Kickstarter project for the Alpaca, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...uitar/comments .

It's been a year and half since they were funded and they are still completing the guitars for that project which they will do first before making new orders. They make about 10 per month, so it might be a long wait till you could order one.

That said, some liked the guitar, some really didn't--so if you search, you might find some for sale within your price range if that type of guitar appeals to you.
Yep, those guys have some catching up to do before I send them a check. Not to mention the new price seems a bit high.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Default fishing guitar

How about a used beatup Ovation?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Yep, those guys have some catching up to do before I send them a check. Not to mention the new price seems a bit high.
Also, anyone interested should write them and ask the what the current materials are. At first it was all carbon fiber--but I read somewhere in some comments that they might substitute other materials for various reasons. It would be good to confirm what they are using to make the guitars now. Hopefully, still carbon fiber---just not sure.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
...I have been looking at carbon fibre guitars, mainly because my other passion is flyfishing and I'd love to bring a guitar along for my fishing trips.... I could not bring myself to bringing a $ 1500 plus carbon fibre guitar on these trips.
I needed a guitar for travel, camping, out on the boat, on the beach, etc... I sprung for CF (Rainsong WS-1000) and I'm glad I did, pretty much indestructible and a very nice instrument. However, if you want a really inexpensive guitar that sounds decent and is more durable than solid wood, get a used wood laminate guitar. Laminates are very stable and tough. Takamine, Alvarez, Martin, Guild, Eastman... there are tons of options for a few hundred bucks... bang it around and scuff it up, let it earn it's own mojo.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber