The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Default Joining the Ranks

Winter is almost here. Very warm tonight, but chilly this weekend. I've been watching the humidity level in my main guitar room changing like crazy. And then I look at the wood guitars I have out to play. Then I look at the pile of sound hole and case humidifiers ready to get wet again. Then I look at the big humidifier I'll need to run this winter to keep the room, but only the room, at 50%. And I look at them again. Then I reach a deal on a WS1000N2 sunburst after a couple of months going back and forth. I like the burst, but it's too bad the paint covers up the cool patterns of the carbon fiber. I think I'd actually prefer plain black! ;-)

I'll meet up with the seller either tomorrow on my way home from work or Saturday on my way to an acoustic gig. I'm hoping the beefy neck isn't too beefy (I tend to prefer bigger necks, but this one felt really big and I thought the N1 was too shallow and flat). I liked the way it sounded when I tried it, so I'm not too worried about that. At the very least, this will be a very interesting experiment.

Any suggestions for getting started?
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 PM

Getting started on what? Carbon fiber guitars play pretty much just like any other guitar -- you'll be fine! Play that sucker and enjoy not worrying about it EVER!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 PM

String suggestiobs etc,,,,
Old 10-03-2014, 05:40 AM

Stick with the Elixirs that come from the factory. I love my Rainsong so much that I'm starting to sell off other guitars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I find the N2 neck to be perfect.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I've tried d'Addario and Martin strings on my Shorty, but find I prefer the Elixirs. Enjoy your new guitar... and not humidifying.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Elixir HD work perfectly for me.....enjoy the guitar and enjoy not having to worry about it!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 AM

Welcome to the Ranks.
I have had my RainSong H-DR1000N2 for 18 months. I hope the "terrible two's" are tolerable.
I have used Ernie Ball Earthwoods Med 12-54 more than any other string. I get them at Best buy for under $5 a pack.
That combination sounds as close to my 38 year old D28 as I can get.
Blindfold tests with picker buddy's confirm that, but play-ability win them over to the Rainsong.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-05-2014, 02:00 PM

I love my Larrivees, but also can't stand the issues with humidity control. I picked up a CA Cargo and plan on getting another carbon fiber when I save a few more bucks. I like the sound and playability of the Cargo enough to pursue carbon fiber over wood. So, I'm with you on your decision.

I run D'Addario EXP16's (coated 12 gauge) and they sound and play great.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 PM

Played a few tunes on it at a bar gig where my Bose is cranked up pretty good. I was hoping that the carbon fiber guitars would be less prone to feedback, but not so much. I like exaggerated bass for this gig and even with a feedback buster, it was howling. Lol. Turned down the bass and it sounded good. Very articulate with clear string definition. Today my wife asked what guitar I played on those tunes because it sounded pretty, but also bright. She never comments on plugged in tone.

Went back to my cheap Crafter SA models for exaggerated bass without feedback the rest of the gig.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:56 PM

Try the Elixir Polyweb in either the light or light/mediums as strings to warm up the tone a bit or even a set of John Pearse. The brightness of the Rainsong can get a bit of getting used too but a really nice guitar.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

If I have an issue with feedback on the Bose (whether with the RainSong or one of my Taylors), I move a bit to the side with the guitar and mic. Seems like the guitar coming from the Bose and going into the vocal mic can be a source of feedback.

I haven't noticed any more propensity for feedback with the RS vs the wooden guitars.

Jim
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Elixir Polys
Old 10-07-2014, 09:03 PM

I'm surprised at all the responses recommending coated strings. I play with a flatpick, and they look (and feel) like a shredded pinata after a few weeks of play. Coated strings don't work for me, I like Martin Marquis or D'Addario PB's (though they do take 4-8 hours of playtime to settle in).

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM

I prefer John Pearse phosphor bronze on my guitars. Nothing special about CF guitars when It comes to strings, in my opinion. Try your favorites; they should work just fine.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I installed some Martin Sp lights pb this evening on the Shorty. So far they sound pretty darn good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber