The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Emerald guitar neck

What is the neck like on emerald guitars? I posted another thread about looking for OO or OOO size guitars with a cutaway, but I'm also looking at carbon guitars. I'd like to know what the neck size is comparable to, also if you know of any stores in the Connecticut area that sell them. I'm thinking about going custom with emerald to get what I want, depending on price, but it have never played an emerald guitar before. Just going by the sound I hear on YouTube, which I don't give much stock to because so much can change the sound.

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 08-26-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
What is the neck like on emerald guitars? I posted another thread about looking for OO or OOO size guitars with a cutaway, but I'm also looking at carbon guitars. I'd like to know what the neck size is comparable to, also if you know of any stores in the Connecticut area that sell them. I'm thinking about going custom with emerald to get what I want, depending on price, but it have never played an emerald guitar before. Just going by the sound I hear on YouTube, which I don't give much stock to because so much can change the sound.

Thank you,

Jeff
Probably my favorite carbon neck, best described as a good normal.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-26-2014, 01:50 AM

Like a "C" that has been flattened out gently on the bottom side so it's not as thick as it would be if fully round.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 AM

Thank you all so much. If there were a brand it were closest to what would that brand, or specific guitar be?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM

Hello Jeff,

If you decide on an Emerald X20-OS, please consider the X20-OS that I have listed for sale in the AGF Classified page.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=349996

Doubleneck and AC provide a good description of the Emerald neck. It is very comfortable.

If I was to reference a brand that the X20-OS neck is similar to, I would say a standard Taylor neck, . . . i.e. not saying that it is identical to a Taylor neck, but I would put it in the same range.

Best regards,
Jim K
Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Hi Jim,

I'm not really looking for a guitar that large. After contacting emerald guitars it seems the X-7 may be what I'm looking for. I'm just worried about the neck size as my guitars felt comfortable in the store but after playing them a lot are not as comfortable as I would have hoped. I enjoy the Taylor neck, from the times I have played them so that's good if it is in that range.

I'm about to send them another email regarding whether or not I can install my own pickup in it as I don't like the barn door type.

Thanks so much for all of the help!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM

I don't think my X20 has quite a Taylor neck, but it's very close. I agree that you should use a more subtle pick up. Talk to Michael at MacNichol. He sales and services Emeralds, so has the experience with most (if not all) of the Emerald models.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Thank you, mot! I definitely will. That's the most likely place I will buy one.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Jeff,

I also have an Emerald X7-OS. The X7-OS was redesigned about June 2013 to essentially be a 3/4 size version of the X20-OS.

The X7-OS neck (as of June 2013) is the same profile as the X20-OS neck, and is very comfortable.

MacNichol Guitars definitely can install a different (non-barn door) pick-up in the X7-OS. I recall a number of times MacNichol has installed the LR Baggs Lyric pickup in an X7-OS. There may be additional pickup options. Give Michael Stone a call at MacNichol.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Thank you so much for your advice! I figured if I didn't go custom I would most likely order through MacNichol Guitars, since it's based in the US and I wouldn't have to deal with customs.

Thank you for the information on the neck. It sounds like it would fit the bill.

Jim, how does the X-7 OS strum? I play all sorts of styles but I'm looking for a guitar I can strum on. I don't like having to bang on the thing, like playing my dread, to get a good sound. I usually like strumming with a max medium strum. I just like the dynamics of the soft-medium strum more than going to feeling like I need to slam on the strings to get sound.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM

Jeff,

While the original X7 (center sound hole) was more of a fingerstyle guitar, Emerald designed the X7-OS (offset sound hole) to be more capable of handling strumming.

I think it can be played strumming, . . . but not with a heavy touch. Since it is a smaller guitar, a heavy strum would likely drive it beyond its capacity.

Check out following youtube videos, where the X7-OS is played by Peter Vail, who Alistair Hay often has demo his Emerald Guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJEGfN03kY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjLBlfbhDrE

Best regards,
Jim
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Thank you so much for those videos! That's great that it can't handle a heavy touch as I have a difficult time playing with a heavy touch.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM

Default Hand fatigue

I recently got to try out an Emerald X20-OS. The neck is a comfortable C shape, but it was thick and beefy to the point were my left hand was fatigued and hurting after a half hour of play. With usual practice times of a couple hours or more, this has never been my experience with any other guitar with six strings. I don't really even know what other necks to compare it to. I usually wear a men's large in gloves FWIW, but it was really difficult for me to get used to that neck size.

If you go to Emerald's website, there are US dealers listed. Also, Alistair will customize a neck shape for you, so that shouldn't be a deterrent.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Thank you! Yeah, that may be a bit large for me, but hopefully I can try one out shortly. I've checked his list of dealers and there is no dealer where I live. If I could find someone in the Connecticut area who has one or more of these guitars I'd love to try them out. I won't be in Connecticut until at least October when I recover from my recent surgery and move there.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Jeff, best wishes on your recovery.

I have an X20-OS that I love a lot. At first, the neck wasn't my favorite, probably because I was used to the v-shape of my old Martin, or the round-slim shape on my Tacoma Chief.

I have come to be quite happy with the neck. It wasn't the size that I needed to get used to, just the shape. I wouldn't say that it's particularly beefy, and I don't have really large hands, just fairly long fingers.

ac described the X20-OS neck well: "Like a "C" that has been flattened out gently on the bottom side so it's not as thick as it would be if fully round." Although I haven't played the new X7-OS, it should be similar, but (I assume) somewhat scaled down.

As for the pickup, I ordered my Emerald from Alistair with the K&K Pure Mini, which I am really happy with. I'll never buy another guitar with a barn door! The K&K is passive, and of course has no on-board controls, so you may well want to use an outboard preamp for tone, volume, and DI purposes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber