The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Rainsong HWS1000N2***UPDATE***just bought another

I have been playing this guitar every time I visited Blues Angel Music in Pensacola. Unfortunately we have squat for music stores in Mobile. Went to BAM yesterday and worked a deal for the RS. Got home and put a set of Elixir HD polyweb and spent some time with it last night

First things I noticed....

1) The intonation is impressive. Drop D sounds great and the infamous G note 6th string 3rd fret sounds just fine.
2) Balance.....from top register to lower it is even. No ear fatigue with this instrument.
3) Neck is absolutely perfect. I played an old 50's Les Paul that had this type of neck shape. Also, one of the very early PRS McCarty's I once owned was very similar. Chunky and very comfortable.
4) No muddiness.....I never use a pick and only the fleshy part of my fingers. No nails. Other guitars tend to get dark or muddy after awhile of playing. Ear fatigue for me starts taking its toll. With the RS being so balanced I played it longer last night than I have any other guitar in quite some time.

Very glad I got the guitar. Only flaw I can see is the carbon fiber inside the body. There are a few very small spots where I can see (day light) through the fiber. Minor sure, but I did notice it. I'll post pics soon!

Last edited by nopicknick; 08-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, that's a great guitar and it compliments your GSM's ....
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Congrats on the guitar. I picked up the Same guitar a couple of weeks ago and it has been great for Camping, Travailing, gigs and jams. Still deciding between elixir PBs and 80/20s.........
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I have an H-OM, and it also has some funky crackling inside the guitar that shows up as white creases. I sent pictures to Ted at LA Guitar sales (where I bought it), and he confirmed that this is part of the structure of Rainsongs. He also sent the pictures for confirmation to Rainsong, to be on the safe side, and verified that these will not negatively impact my warranty in any way. I thought I would notice them every time I play, but that's not the case. If you see light, however, you might want to check with Rainsong as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopicknick View Post
I can see (day light) through the fiber. Minor sure, but I did notice it.
That is an indication of possible poor saturation of the CF cloth with the resin binder. Usually CF is vacuum formed into the mold, with the vacuum forcing the resin into the cloth matrix, and removing air. Definitely talk to Rainsong about it, and see if they are concerned. It cannot hurt to have the issue documented with the manufacturer by letter or email if there is ever any doubt. They are really good about customer support BTW, but I have never had to make any kind of claim - only a question or two.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That is an indication of possible poor saturation of the CF cloth with the resin binder. Usually CF is vacuum formed into the mold, with the vacuum forcing the resin into the cloth matrix, and removing air. Definitely talk to Rainsong about it, and see if they are concerned. It cannot hurt to have the issue documented with the manufacturer by letter or email if there is ever any doubt. They are really good about customer support BTW, but I have never had to make any kind of claim - only a question or two.
... most likely it is light passing through the glass fibers. This is a hybrid instrument containing both carbon and glass fibers. Glass fibers are transparent or at least translucent.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
... most likely it is light passing through the glass fibers. This is a hybrid instrument containing both carbon and glass fibers. Glass fibers are transparent or at least translucent.
This makes complete sense and again the guitar is fantastic. I took a tiny piece of black electricians tape and I can't even find it now.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 PM

***UPDATE***

Turning 50 in a few weeks.....wife just bought me a Rainsong H-OM1000N2. Should be here tomorrow and I hope she doesn't make me wait to play it. I really like my WS and actually went back and forth between it and the OM. She remembered, bless her heart, and knew what to get. I'll post pics of both this weekend....
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvin View Post
Thanks for the clarification Ashvin. I don't happen to own any of the hybrids, so was unaware of the mix of fibers used. BTW, I'm a big fan of Rainsongs with a WS-1000 made in Maui and a PMJ-1000. You guys do good work!
As I have often said, if the house caught fire I would grab the Rainsong WS-1000 on the way out the door and let the various Taylor's, Martin's and others fend for themselves. If I could only have one left, that would be my pick. It is also the best sounding amplified acoustic guitar that I own for stage work.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopicknick View Post
I have been playing this guitar every time I visited Blues Angel Music in Pensacola. Unfortunately we have squat for music stores in Mobile. Went to BAM yesterday and worked a deal for the RS. Got home and put a set of Elixir HD polyweb and spent some time with it last night

First things I noticed....

1) The intonation is impressive. Drop D sounds great and the infamous G note 6th string 3rd fret sounds just fine.
2) Balance.....from top register to lower it is even. No ear fatigue with this instrument.
3) Neck is absolutely perfect. I played an old 50's Les Paul that had this type of neck shape. Also, one of the very early PRS McCarty's I once owned was very similar. Chunky and very comfortable.
4) No muddiness.....I never use a pick and only the fleshy part of my fingers. No nails. Other guitars tend to get dark or muddy after awhile of playing. Ear fatigue for me starts taking its toll. With the RS being so balanced I played it longer last night than I have any other guitar in quite some time.

Very glad I got the guitar. Only flaw I can see is the carbon fiber inside the body. There are a few very small spots where I can see (day light) through the fiber. Minor sure, but I did notice it. I'll post pics soon!
You absolutely nailed the qualities of a Rainsong.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM

I haven't taken pictures yet because I am spending time with both guitars. This is exactly what I have been wanting. Both guitars play and feel identical. These necks are absolutely perfect for me. The tone between the two is just different enough to tweak the ear, but has that same tonal connection. Coming from the electric world I would describe it as one being a humbucker and the other a p90. Not sure that is how I want to describe it, but you get the idea. Great guitars that I am proud to own.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 AM

Love mine as well. Fantastic guitars.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber