The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2014, 12:50 AM

Default Whats the consensus on Ovation CF guitars?

I'm a huge Ovation fan and was thinking of taking the leap up from Balladeers to the Adamas line, at least before they start becoming scarce. One thing that I've found to be near impossible though is getting my hands on any sort of Adamas guitars and I have a hard time committing to guitars I haven't held in my own hands. The one I found myself most attracted to was the 2080sr

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitar...en-top-w-case/

Anyway, even if its not the SR, have you tried any upper end Ovation CF guitars? How do they fare compared to the more popular CF guitar lineup (rainsong, cargo, blackbird, emerald)?
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
I'm a huge Ovation fan and was thinking of taking the leap up from Balladeers to the Adamas line, at least before they start becoming scarce. One thing that I've found to be near impossible though is getting my hands on any sort of Adamas guitars and I have a hard time committing to guitars I haven't held in my own hands. The one I found myself most attracted to was the 2080sr

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitar...en-top-w-case/

Anyway, even if its not the SR, have you tried any upper end Ovation CF guitars? How do they fare compared to the more popular CF guitar lineup (rainsong, cargo, blackbird, emerald)?
The Adamas guitars (Carbon top or Solid Spruce) are fine instruments. I've had both. The Carbon have a better volume and sustain. Although they are heavy in comparison to other CF guitars. The Filigree sound holes are nice but I prefer the typical round hole. Mostly because the style I play. My thumb pick would hit the top unless it was a traditional sound hole.
I played Ovation / Adamas many years as a live plug in option. They are very player friendly.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-24-2014, 05:02 AM

The are excellent guitars period. I think the best necks I have played. Only downside is their weight given the composite body. Probably the most underrated guitars out there given their quality and sound.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I own, and have owned, several RainSong and Composite Acoustic carbon guitars. The Adamas 2080 NWT SR (Suspension Ring) with its scalloped wooden Quintad-bracing, will sound like an amalgam of a RainSong and a Composite Acoustic. It will have a pleasant tone and amplify well being that it's balanced across the tonal spectrum. The Adamas will compare in weight to Composite Acoustic models but RainSong "all-graphite model" guitars will be noticeably lighter than both Adamas and Composite Acoustic guitars.

I've had a 1983 Ovation Adamas II (SR - suspension ring), and it was my first introduction to the well-balanced and crystalline shimmer of carbon. I currently have a 2008 Adamas 2080 NWT (not a Suspension Ring) with VIP-5 preamp which features Aura Images. This guitar has scalloped X-bracing and sounds very woody and dark compared to what I remember the 1983 Adamas II sounding like, which was very crystalline but good. The 1983 Adamas II (SR) amplified well as does my newer 2008 Adamas 2080 NWT. Both are easy to dial-in for a good amplified tone! Having had over a dozen high-end acoustic-electric Ovations since 1978, and I've loved them all, I'm sad the brand is now on life support.

What Is A Suspension Ring Adamas? If any Adamas has a raised rim, approximately 3/16ths-inch, around the top's perimeter, it's a Suspension Ring model. The Suspension Ring is touted as allowing the guitar's top to vibrate in a less-inhibited state. I'd say the resulting tone, whether preferable or not to a regular flush-mounted Adamas top, is in the ear of the player.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-26-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I own, and have owned several RainSong and Composite Acoustic carbon guitars. The Adamas 2080 NWT SR (Suspension Ring) with its scalloped wooden X-bracing, will sound like an amalgam of a RainSong and a Composite Acoustic. It will have a pleasant tone and amplify well being that it's balanced across the tonal spectrum. The Adamas will compare in weight to Composite Acoustic models but RainSong "all-graphite model" guitars will be noticeably lighter than both Adamas and Composite Acoustic guitars.

I've had a 1983 Ovation Adamas II (SR - suspension ring), and it was my first introduction to the well-balanced and crystalline shimmer of carbon. I currently have a 2008 Adamas 2080 NWT (not a Suspension Ring) with VIP-5 preamp which features Aura Images. This guitar has scalloped X-bracing and sounds very woody and dark compared to what I remember the 1983 Adamas II sounding like, which was very crystalline but good. The 1983 Adamas II (SR) amplified well as does my newer 2008 Adamas 2080 NWT. Both are easy to dial-in for a good amplified tone! Having had over a dozen high-end acoustic-electric Ovations since 1978, and I've loved them all and I'm sad the brand is now on life support.

What Is A Suspension Ring Adamas? If any Adamas has a raised approximately 3/16ths-inch rim around the top's perimeter, it's a Suspension Ring model. The Suspension Ring is touted as allowing the guitar's top to vibrate in a less-inhibited state. I'd say the resulting tone, whether preferable or not to a regular flush-mounted Adamas top, is in the ear of the player.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Thank you. This is plenty of information to process but the easy to dial in for a good acoustic tone is what I really wanted to hear. I really liked the sound of that suspension ring model. Now it's a matter of how it'll feel in hand. I must say thought that I do love the feel of higher end ovation necks.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 AM

I think they were first in giving a neck that electric guitar players could feel at home with.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM

I own a Rainsong Bluegrass model and an Adamas. They are both fine guitars.

I don't think you can beat Rainsongs for the combination of virtual indestructability, good ergonomics, and nice sound. If you buy one you can be pretty sure that 40 or 50 years from now you will still have a very nice guitar.

That having been said, if I had to choose between these guitars I would definitely pick the Adamas. To my ears it sounds better and plays better. But you should try before you buy, if you can. Both the Rainsongs and the Adamas definitely have their own sound; you may or may not like one or the other.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM

I had an older ADAMAS that I loved. Neck was like butter, sound was fantastic.
There were some issues.

On some of the older used ones, you see(more accurately, hear) the glue give way between the spruce braces and the carbon top. I fixed it by putting a bit of glue on an index card and sliding it through the gap, but it was a disturbing buzz and a little scary to me to have that problem.

The only other issue I had was it was a deep bowl and I am not shaped properly to deal with that. guitar kept rolling on me.

Sometimes I really wish I still had that one though...
Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 PM

I'm a fan of nice, all-wood guitars. My D28 is my holy grail.

But, there was an Ovation I played years ago at Elderly. It has a graphite top and has a super sexy tone. Very raspy, like you could hear a bow dragging across the string. If it had a voice, it would be Sade or Nora Jones. I loved playing it!
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Adamas Guitars

Hi Jupiter:
I'm a big fan of Adamas guitars. I've owned and sold quite a few nice Ovation guitars over the years and I've learned that I definitely prefer the Adamas tone better....sounds so rich and beautiful. And for what it's worth, I think they are absolutely beautiful as well.

My advice: Go for it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber