The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Default A few questions about the Emerald Chimaera

I don't know if anyone remembers, but some of my earliest posts here were about the Emerald Chimaera, and the huge amount of GAS I had for it. I have since gotten myself to a much better place financially, and I have found out that Emerald has put the Chimaera into standard production. Here are my questions:

1. I haven't found much information on the pricing, but I am under the impression that the price for the acoustic/electric model is around $3k. Is that correct?

2. From what I have read the original Chimaeras have hollow necks, among other things, to keep them from being neck heavy. The production Chimaeras have truss rods. How neck heavy (if at all) does this make them?

3. I have since switched over to playing guitar in the classical position, mainly for ergonomic reasons. I don't expect anyone to have an answer for this, but does anyone know how well the Chimaera would lend itself to being played in the classical position?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers, but some of my earliest posts here were about the Emerald Chimaera, and the huge amount of GAS I had for it. I have since gotten myself to a much better place financially, and I have found out that Emerald has put the Chimaera into standard production. Here are my questions:

1. I haven't found much information on the pricing, but I am under the impression that the price for the acoustic/electric model is around $3k. Is that correct?

2. From what I have read the original Chimaeras have hollow necks, among other things, to keep them from being neck heavy. The production Chimaeras have truss rods. How neck heavy (if at all) does this make them?

3. I have since switched over to playing guitar in the classical position, mainly for ergonomic reasons. I don't expect anyone to have an answer for this, but does anyone know how well the Chimaera would lend itself to being played in the classical position?
1.Just email Emerald they will tell you the pricing. Alistair has put a tremendous amount of work bringing this to market, I marvel that he could even pulled it off.

2. I have the hollow neck and would love to compare it to the truss rod version. Bottom line I would think the positives of truss rods would out"weigh" the negatives. Doubleneck guitars are a series of compromises.

3. Your question on the classical position is interesting. I don't play that way. Think compromise again. I use my leg to help reposition the guitar when I switch necks. I tried the classical position and I assume you could use the other leg similarly. It may be tuffer? The positive is that the guitars body really is thin and not that long. May be easier than some larger single necks?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM

I just bought a Zoom HD recorder over the long weekend I can make quick video of my guitar in the classical position to give you an idea?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I just bought a Zoom HD recorder over the long weekend I can make quick video of my guitar in the classical position to give you an idea?
I don't think that would be necessary, but thank you for the offer. And thank you for your answers. I wondered how easy it would be to get the Chimaera to sit in the classical position since it has a more unusual of body dimensions and neck placements. But if you find it easier to play in the position than larger, more conventional acoustics then I won't be having any issues. I'm not exactly a small person and my ex-wife once told me I make my dreadnought look small. And I don't have any trouble playing it in the classical position.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
I can only really address your second question. You are correct that the original Chimaera had hollow necks. The new production models have solid necks, and are very recently being equipped with titanium truss rods to further reduce neck weight. The latest model will balance best if it is also equipped with Gotoh Stealth tuners which are far lighter than any other tuner option.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
You are correct that the original Chimaera had hollow necks. The new production models have solid necks, and are very recently being equipped with titanium truss rods to further reduce neck weight. The latest model will balance best if it is also equipped with Gotoh Stealth tuners which are far lighter than any other tuner option.
I did not know about the titanium truss rods, but that makes a lot of sense given titanium's combination of high strength and low weight. And I was always planning on the stealth tuners. Almost any weight reduction multiplied by 18 is going to be noticeable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber