The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Default Anyone here own a Composite Acoustics guitar??

Thinking about picking up a CA Cargo, but have 3 questions/concerns:

1.) Shorter scale length. Does this take a long time to get used to? I usually play Larrivee D-03's. Should I just go with a larger body CA like a GX?

2.) Are they really weather/temp/humidity proof? I read about being able to leave them in cars in any temp. Seems too good to be true. I mean, do they have any glue or parts that would be affected by extreme heat?

3.) Can these things be adjusted and so forth by a typical luthier? Do they have truss rods and the like in case I want the action adjusted, etc?

Honestly, I am just sick of humidifying my guitars 6 out of 12 months of the year. Just would like a better mousetrap if it truly exists.

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited by codecontra; 06-20-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Cool Anyone here own a "composite" acoustic guitar?

I picked up a Martin DXME, all HPL and have played it for almost 10 years. I doesn't have the same tone as a D-35 acoustic, but it has a UST Piezo pickup and sounds great through a Marshall amp! The bridge and fretboard are rosewood and the ribbon inside the body is spruce, so I would still be careful regarding excessive heat. It's a solidly built guitar.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 PM

I owned a Cargo for a number of years and most of what they say is true. Bear in mind it is not a full sized guitar...it's a bit smaller than a Taylor GS Mini...but it has a very full sound.

Playing the shorter neck is different than a full sized guitar, but it's not that hard to adjust to. At least it wasn't to me.

And, remember, it's not a wood guitar, it's carbon. It can take almost anything you throw at it. However, I was told that really long periods in really hot environments can effect it, but I never ran across any problems. It spent a lot of time in the back of a hot car, traveling on airplanes, being tossed around and played at car race tracks, taking cruises with my wife and I, and even knocked over a few times by small kids. No damage to it at all.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I owned a Cargo for a number of years and most of what they say is true. Bear in mind it is not a full sized guitar...it's a bit smaller than a Taylor GS Mini...but it has a very full sound.

Playing the shorter neck is different than a full sized guitar, but it's not that hard to adjust to. At least it wasn't to me.

And, remember, it's not a wood guitar, it's carbon. It can take almost anything you throw at it. However, I was told that really long periods in really hot environments can effect it, but I never ran across any problems. It spent a lot of time in the back of a hot car, traveling on airplanes, being tossed around and played at car race tracks, taking cruises with my wife and I, and even knocked over a few times by small kids. No damage to it at all.
Thanks for the input!

Do you know if they use any glue in the construction? Like how is the fret wire held in?

I really have no plans on subjecting it to extreme environments. I just want to be able to reasonably not give a sh@T about temp and humidity after 27 years of guitar owning.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Be sure to ask your questions over in the Carbon Fiber section of the Forum. You should get many responses.

Some CF guitars have truss rods, some don't. I'm not sure about the Cargo, but the website should have specs. It is true they will take most reasonable things you throw at them. I own a Rainsong Parlor P12. We had the toughest winter I can remember here last year, with humidity issues everywhere. The Rainsong sat out all winter and it did not phase it. Tuning rock solid. It also responds well to altered tunings and handled the lower tunings better than anything else I have.

I counseled someone on the forum a little while ago that a CF guitar does not take the place of a wood guitar for me. But it adds significantly to my guitar(s) and really provides great flexibility. I have tested many CA guitars. They are professional and very good instruments. I have been tempted, but haven't bought a Cargo. I am very happy with the Rainsong I did purchase.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 PM

I used to own a Cargo traded it toward my Eastman z12 string because I didn't like the sound blasting in my ear from'the placement of the so unholy. Usually I stuffed it with a rag. Not a comment on the quality

1. No
No problem except it will be almost too easy, but you might start to prefer the wider nut

2. Yes
glue is good to about 150

3. Yes
the action is adjusted with the nut and saddle not the relief which the only thing a truss rod adjusts. There is no truss rod
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Last edited by cke; 06-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 AM

I have owned a CA Gxi for about 7 years now. I have mostly used it for an outdoor/travel guitar. I live in Florida where summer temperatures and humidity are constantly high. I can throw the Gxi in the trunk of my car and not worry about leaving it there in a parking lot on a scorching hot day. From my experience it is virtually impervious to heat and humidity.

My Gxi was built prior to Peavey taking over the company so I'm not sure what the current build specs and materials are for a new Cargo. If things are the same as before the takeover then all materials except the stainless steel fretwire and tuners are carbon fibre. My Gxi has no truss rod but also has never had any need for one. Basically it is a no worries, take anywhere instrument.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

The Cargo has a flattish D neck profile.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:05 AM

I don't own a CA Cargo, but I have played one at the local music store many times...and if I was looking for a "maintenance free" travel guitar, this would be it!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM

I have a GX, a pre-peavey version. No truss rod but never any problems. I tend to live in high humidity environments and my last wood guitar got an extremely warped neck (although it took many years to get there). I travel a fair bit and although the GX is not "travel sized" I have no qualms about checking it. It has had something heavy dropped on it at one stage (in a hotel, not in a plane) and although a large hole was left in the hard case, the guitar was fine.
As for the cargo, I have tried one and did find the scale and neck a bit cramped, even though I'm usually comfortable playing different scale lengths. It may be considered sacrilege as a CA owner but I didn't actually care for it that much.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a post-Peavey Cargo Raw for only about 6 months, so I'm certainly not the expert, but I love mine for what it is. I strongly preferred the sound of the Raw to the high gloss. The gloss just had too many layers of automotive paint on it and sounded very hollow. The Raw is the satin finish without all that paint and I think it sounds a lot better… much better balance and stronger mids/highs.

The shorter scale might take a little bit to get used to, but I have multiple travel guitars that are smaller, so that really wasn't a problem for me.

I feel certain it has glue in it and I don't know how high a temperature it can handle, but I think it's about as indestructible as guitars can get. And, to my knowledge, it has no truss rod. I had mine set up beautifully by the shop and it plays wonderfully.

The guy I have run into who knows the most about them is Bill at Artisan Guitars. Best I remember, he said he went down to the factory when Peavey took over to see how things were going. He's very fond of the guitars and extremely knowledgeable… give him a call.

I think they're great little guitars and I highly recommend the Raw version.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 AM

The GX I've had for almost two years now is my #1 gigging guitar and I am thoroughly happy with it. I tried the narrow-neck version but chose to wait and get the wider-neck version -- had to order it, from Artisan Guitars, but it was well worth the wait -- and it plays and sounds great. It just stays in tune, period, too, and for outdoor summer gigs, I couldn't say that about my wood guitars.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I pulled the trigger on a CA Cargo raw finish yesterday. I'm pretty excited and will post pics when she arrives later this week.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:46 PM

I have played a few Cargos and most of the CAs...I like them well enough
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
I pulled the trigger on a CA Cargo raw finish yesterday. I'm pretty excited and will post pics when she arrives later this week.
Fantastic… congratulations! I think you'll enjoy it, but be sure and come back to let us know. I really like the Cargo Raw… quite a bit of bass response, but much better mids and highs than the gloss version. And I should have told you that I'm a fan of Mahogany… and that's probably why the well-balanced Raw attracted me so much more than the hollow-sounding high gloss version. It really is a fun guitar to play… very comfortable.

Welcome to the carbon fiber club!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber