The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Equipment review: SA220, Red-Eye pre-amp, TC Helicon harmony-G XT

Updated to add another demo song.

I've recently upgraded some of our equipment to better suit the acoustic duo gig I have with my wife. I'm on guitar and she's on vocals.

The guitar is a Martin 000-28EC, with the signal path being Martin -> TC-H VThG-XT -> Red-Eye pre-amp -> SA220.

Here's some individual reviews of the new stuff:

TC-Helicon VoiceTone harmony-G XT vocal processor: Great little unit! Since I can't sing harmony to save my life we invested in this. It works very well. The guitar goes 'through' in order to determine the key your playing in and create the correct harmonies. Note that while the guitar can 'go through' to it's own signal path, it can just go in and then the guitar signal is combined with the vocal signal for a very simple, 1-pedal solution. It sounds decent doing this and this also allows you take advantage of the on-board effects for the guitar. There is also a built in tuner/mute switch as well. Power supply only, does not work with phantom power.

It has dual voices so you can run more than one harmony at a time. The selections from top to bottom are Higher, High, Low, Lower, Bass (all available on both Voice 1 and Voice 2) Octave up (Voice 1) and Octave down (Voice 2). There is also a doubler. It's fully programmable. It also has a decent number of effects for both guitar and vocals including reverbs, echo, slap, and a few others. There is a foot-switchable A and B channel for each preset which allows for on-the-fly changing between two settings. The other footswitch is used to turn the harmonies on and off but we also invested in the TC microphone that allows for the turning on/off of the harmony effects from the mic itself. It's a very well-built and good sound mic.

My initial concerns with this unit was whether it would be able to pick up the correct key with my playing primarily fingerstyle but it seems to do quite well. As long as it can identify a root and third it can do it's thing. We are working up a new song and created a video clip of us doing Heart's 'Alone' where we use the TC in a couple places. (The guitar is still rough!) On the choruses she's using the Octave up and on the second verse she's using harmony high on both voices. We are having a great time putting it through it's paces.Highly recommended. Here's the video:

Just added another video demo of a new song we're working up - Sarah McLachlan's Full Of Grace. Lot's of squawking on the guitar (still getting comfortable with it!) but it's a great demo of the use of the G-XT harmonizer:

And another - Del Shannon's 'Runaway':

Fire-Eye Red-Eye pre-amp: Everything you've heard about this pre-amp is true. The ultimate in simplicity and does what it's supposed to do - makes it sound like your guitar, only louder. I love that it came with a battery pre-installed and ready to go, but even more that it can run on phantom power.

Fishman SA220 Solo Amp: Really digging this amp. We had a Genz Benz (an older model) which sounded great but was very heavy to lug around and needed some sort of monitor. The SA220 sounds even better, especially on the vocals, with lots of on-board EQ availability, notch, reverbs, phantom power, etc. No monitors needed and very light and easy to transport.

All in all, we are very happy with these purchases and highly recommend them! If you have any questions about any of this equipment, fire away.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-03-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Methos,
Sounds good. Glad you are happy with your signal chain. I am a fan of the RedEye to SA220.

Steve
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I am very happy with this signal chain. All the reviews were correct. It seems to be the closest to 'my guitar, only louder' solution out there. One of the tools I use when researching gear on the internet is Amazon feedback ratings and user reviews. Yes, you have to take everything posted in these with a grain of salt and like an Olympic judge throw out the high and low scores for best accuracy, but taken as a whole you can get a pretty good idea of just how good (or bad) a piece of gear is.

When I researched Amazon's user reviews of the Red-Eye, I was surprised to see 5 stars across the board from reviewers. I don't think I've ever seen that before!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Methos, what does the extra preamp in the chain do for you? Does the G-XT not preamplify your guitar signal? I know it has a preamp stage for the vocal mic. The SA-220 has a preamp stage, and I'd be surprised if the signal from the G-XT isn't sufficient to drive the SA-220's input sufficiently. Is the output from your guitar too low to drive the G-XT?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jeff,

The guitar has the DTAR Multi-Source pickup system in it, which is basically an under-saddle transducer (UST) coupled with an internal condenser mic. There's an 18-volt pre-amp powered by two AA batteries inside the guitar which gives it twice the headroom of most 9-volt systems. It actually has enough power to go straight into the SA by itself - no pre-amp needed. Even my other guitar with just a K&K Pure Mini can go straight into the SA with no pre-amp, although that guitar definitely can use some pre-amp to bring out it's best.

The Harmony-G XT does provide it's own guitar pre-amp as well. If I just input the guitar into the G XT (no out) it combines with the mic XLR output. There is a guitar volume setting that has an 'auto' setting where it will adjust the guitar's level to match the vocal level or you can dial it up past the auto and set it to your liking. If you elect to run your signal out of the G XT then this pre-amp is negated, along with the effects available on G XT.

So what does the Red-Eye bring to the party? Three things primarily for me: A boost switch (with volume settings), a treble pot, and an effects loop. As of right now I don't use any outboard effects. I use a little of the reverb built into the SA. I do use a Ditto looper for a couple songs. I run this out of the effects out loop to the Aux in of the SA and dial up the SA AUX volume to match the output of the Red-Eye. Then when I use the looper I can use the boost switch on the SA to give me that little extra to solo over the top of the loop. Since I play almost entirely fingerstyle (even my strumming is just with fingers) the guitar tends to be a little dark. The Red-Eye's treble boost pot is gives me a boost in the trebles that I need. Without it I've got the High EQ on the SA almost maxed out to get where I need to be. Now I can dial that back a bit and use the Red-Eye to dial in a better, more balanced tone.

The Red-Eye (besides giving me a GREAT sound) also gives me flexibility to grab and go if I'm just heading out to a gig with a house PA. Sound guys love the Red-Eye. I can also just grab the G XT if the wife is coming along for an open mic or something so we can have our harmonies. I guess it's mostly just the flexibility and great sound.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks, Methos. As a SA-220 and X-GT user myself, I wondered if I might be missing something, but I see now that you are using the Red-Eye for features apart from additional preamplification. Makes sense!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

No problem, Jeff. I should have also said that even though the Martin with the D-TAR system has more than enough power to go the SA alone, the tone was just WAY more sweet through the Red-Eye. I'm not sure why, or even if it's just the new-toy placebo effect, but it definitely sounds better to me with it.

I'm assuming you use your guitar straight into the G-XT and into the SA? I would love to hear some details on your experiences with the set up. What is your guitar/pickup? Have you gigged much with this set up and what have you found are it's limitations or lessons learned from using it?

We have not gigged with the current set up yet so we're looking for the experiences of others, especially with the G-XT. There's a ton of programming expansion with regards to effects that we have not tapped into yet. We are pretty much just sticking with the Hall reverb. We have programmed 4 presets using hall and then vary the voices with combinations of High, Higher, Low, Octave Up, and Double. I tried the Tone button but didn't like what it did for my wife's voice. She has really good pitch control anyway.

Anyhow, any insights you might have if you'vre really delved into the G-XT would be great to hear about and make for a more informative thread. If you've got sound or video clips you want to share, please feel free to add them to this thread. I'm going to post another demo video that shows the G-XT in action as soon as I get it uploaded.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM

My performance guitars have built-in battery powered preamps and go into either the G-XT or a VoiceLive Play GTX, and then into the SA-220. There is plenty of signal strength at each point in the chain. I mostly focus on proper gain staging, setting the input trim on the vocal units as appropriate for the signals from the guitar and from my mic (Neumann KMS 105), and then adjusting the input gain on the SA-220 to also maximize signal-to-noise for the cleanest sound. I also try to use the shortest practical cable lengths from my guitar to the processor, and from the processor to the SA-220. That reduces capacitance, a good thing since higher capacitance affects tone.

As for the G-XT itself, I find I am content with a few of the factory presets. they're enough to add a little "polish", and I use the harmony effects only sparingly. They work great, but I think they are most effective when not used too frequently.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the shortest-cable theory for both the capacitance reasoning and just the clutter. Nothing worse than having 25' of cable when you only need 6'! (Although I usually go no shorter than 10'.)

I also agree that less is more with the G-XT's harmonies. We are finding that it's best to use it sparingly for color or parts where the harmonies are just so much a part of the song.

How do you like the VoiceLive Play GTX? I look at that unit but it seemed to be more than we needed, not to mention much more expensive.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 AM

The Play GTX has more features, but I probably wouldn't feel the need to upgrade from the G-XT unless those features would be useful for you or, as in my case, l wanted a second unit to keep with my electric rig and thought I'd try something different. I have placed the G-XT on my electric rig's pedalboard, and now use the Play GTX for acoustic gigs, but the reverse would work for me, too. The footprint of the G-XT is more pedalboard-friendly, so that's why I use it there.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Default i love my red eye

can't explain it, but it seems to "open" the sound, subtle but unquestionable. like trying to send two hundred gallons of water through a one inch hose or a five inch pipe . . . would use it simply for that but the features are gravy, and as stated above, throw it in the pick pocket of your case and you can go anywhere. sound guys love it.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark neel View Post
can't explain it, but it seems to "open" the sound, subtle but unquestionable. like trying to send two hundred gallons of water through a one inch hose or a five inch pipe . . . would use it simply for that but the features are gravy, and as stated above, throw it in the pick pocket of your case and you can go anywhere. sound guys love it.
I'm in total agreement with your statement! I did a bunch of pedal evaluation today to see what (if any) pedals I have that I no longer need. I used to use a EP Booster pedal to 'sweeten' the tone of my old acoustic set up but hadn't used it in the new line up. I did a bunch of A/B'ing with that and other pedals, and also did some A/B'ing of the guitars straight into the SA220 with no pre-amp of any kind and in the end the very best sound was Guitar -> Red Eye -> SA220, period.

Anyone looking for used EP Booster?!?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 AM

I gig out with a Fishman SA220 and the GX-T harmonizer pedal. Very happy with the Fishman. The GX-T works ok, but it's a pain in the *** and the owner's manual really sucks. It works, but it really isn't engineered so intelligently in a number of ways. Sounds great when you get it to work right. But that's not always all that simple. You have to get used to it and learn how it works. The manual SORT OF tells you.

I find that often in electronic music gear like the GX-T, mixers, etc. The manual gets you in the neighborhood of operational proficiency, but leaves you scratching your head too often. Wastes your time.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark neel View Post
can't explain it, but it seems to "open" the sound, subtle but unquestionable. like trying to send two hundred gallons of water through a one inch hose or a five inch pipe
Check out the review that Teja Gerken did of the RedEye in the March issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

"From the first strum, it was evident this preamp added a dose of richness, with the trebles sounding fatter and rounder".

"Again, the tone was rich, full, and more harmonically complex". And this was using an AER compact 60!

I have no idea how, or why the RedEye works, but, it just does.

Steve
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
I gig out with a Fishman SA220 and the GX-T harmonizer pedal. Very happy with the Fishman. The GX-T works ok, but it's a pain in the *** and the owner's manual really sucks. It works, but it really isn't engineered so intelligently in a number of ways. Sounds great when you get it to work right. But that's not always all that simple. You have to get used to it and learn how it works. The manual SORT OF tells you.

I find that often in electronic music gear like the GX-T, mixers, etc. The manual gets you in the neighborhood of operational proficiency, but leaves you scratching your head too often. Wastes your time.
I found the G-XT very easy and straightforward to program. Not much to it, really. The hardest part was getting the mic programmed to work but as for setting up programs for the pedal itself, select a preset to store to, set the settings you want, press and hold one button - done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification