The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 AM

Default Thinking of Getting RainSong S-DR1000N2

Thinking of getting S-DR1000N2 very soon. Any reason why I shouldn't? Any advice before I "do the damage" on my wallet? :-)
Also, I'm wondering if there was ever a review on this model before?

Thanks

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinjismyl View Post
Thinking of getting S-DR1000N2 very soon. Any reason why I shouldn't? Any advice before I "do the damage" on my wallet? :-)

Thanks
If your money doesn't mind, do it. You'll find yourself playing more than ever!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinjismyl View Post

Thanks
Why don't you tell us more about yourself and why you've chosen this particular model? I'm sure this is a fine guitar (no hands on experience with this model, though), but there are many good CF guitars out there. It's kind of hard to say whether this is a good choice for you without more information.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM

The playibility should be spot on, the cosmetics perfect, and the tone very good, given the make and model. What is left is whether it's a good physical fit for you. Are you physically comfortable with dreadnought guitars? If you are, then it's a matter of whether the tone will suit you and you're the only one who will know this...but Rainsongs generally sound good to most ears. If you have an opportunity to test one, they're pretty consistent so you could be pretty safe buying another one.

http://www.rainsong.com/models/sdr1000n2.asp

Best of luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Here's a video demo of that model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOphDw6boYA
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Here is the Acoustic Guitar Magazine review of the H-DR1000N2 RainSong, which is the gloss finish, and the hybrid (carbon and glass) construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddKTUBmAvg
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Assuming you have heard one and like the tone. I doubt you would regret buying a Rainsong. Also be sure you like that dreadnought shape over the WS or OM shapes. I hurt my shoulder a few years ago, and have slowly bailed on all the dreads I used to own, due to pain when playing (and I a big guy).

My WS-1000 is one of my best guitars, second only to the koa / spruce Taylor GS. The Rainsong also has the benefit of not being sensitive to humidity, either high or low.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
Here is the Acoustic Guitar Magazine review of the H-DR1000N2 RainSong, which is the gloss finish, and the hybrid (carbon and glass) construction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddKTUBmAvg
I have this model, and trust me - you will want the gloss finish. Otherwise you will end up with a gloss finish where your arm drapes over the guitar and a very noisy finish everywhere else.

Ted at LA Guitar sales gave me that advice when I got it from him and his recommendation was golden!

Oh, and that is the guitar I 'go to' any time I play out! Nothing I've owned in the past sounds better and it's practically bulletproof....

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM

Second that on the gloss finish. My Taylor 414ce has a satin finish on the body, which is noisy (my only complaint about that guitar). If I try to record with it, I have to drape a chamois over the back and side and be sure to wear an old t-shirt to keep the surface noise down. I have given some thought to buffing it out with McGuire's or other appropriate compound. While I generally like satin finishes, this was an unexpected / unintended consequence.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

I own an H-DR1100N2. I like it a lot. It has a k&k pure mini installed it works great as a back up for my main guitars. It's also nice for outdoors things like camping. It's a very responsive powerful guitar. I've never played the s line models.

Last edited by SuperB23; 01-25-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
I have this model, and trust me - you will want the gloss finish. Otherwise you will end up with a gloss finish where your arm drapes over the guitar and a very noisy finish everywhere else.

Ted at LA Guitar sales gave me that advice when I got it from him and his recommendation was golden!

Oh, and that is the guitar I 'go to' any time I play out! Nothing I've owned in the past sounds better and it's practically bulletproof....
I have the non gloss and I agree, it is noisy (percussive). I love the thing though, and look forward to the day it's all glossed up where my arm sits. I bought mine from Ted as well. Highly recommend talking to him. He will lead you in the right direction.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I own an H-DR1100N2. I like it a lot. It has a k&k pure mini installed it works great as a back up for my main guitars. It's also nice for outdoors things like camping. It's a very responsive powerful guitar. I've never played the s line models.
Given the choice I would definitely look at the H-DR1100N2. It includes a gloss finish and a hardshell molded case for not a lot more...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Given the choice I would definitely look at the H-DR1100N2. It includes a gloss finish and a hardshell molded case for not a lot more...
Funny how things go. When I played wood guitars, a hard shell case was a must. Now that I play CF guitars, I actually prefer gig bags. So, including a hard shell case isn't much of a selling point for me.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Wink

I too own an H-DR1100N2 and it is my 'leave it out on the stand' guitar. It not only sounds great but the gloss finish really makes for a fine addition to the living room.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Default Thank You!

Thanks for your input, folks. I was inundated with many things that prevented from chiming in every now and then.

I thought of getting a CF guitar cos I know I'll use it for church trips - retreats, youth camp, etc. Dreadnought (non-cutaways) can typically produce greater volume than other bodies -- without electronic amplifications.

I'm interested in matted finish only because it less reflective, and don't seem to draw too much attention. :-)

I'm also curious why several of you suggested HDR over the S-DR100N2. Just curious, that's all.

Is it possible to request for 1 11/16" nut width instead of the standard 1.3/4" nut width? Wonder if anybody did that.

Thanks again, guys. Your input gave some thoughts. I've no decided yet on any particular models but definitely on the dreadnought sized.

Mcilroy A25
Yamaha LL-16 12 Strings
Yamala LL-TA
Headway HD113 STD
Tanglewood TW-15 DLX
Alhambra 5PA-PT (classical)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber