The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Buying CF without trying?

I am after a CF guitar and struggling due to the lack of local availability to go and try. I really like the Emerald style, but there are no dealers within a days drive of me. Really struggling with spending a bunch of money without trying.

So my question: for those who took a chance and ordered a CF (any of Emerald, CA, Rainsong) without having opportunity to try it, any disappointments or regrets?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM

I have bought several CF guitars without ever trying any of them and have been happy with all.

There are dealers (MacNichol, for instance) that have generous return policies if the guitar doesn't suit you. Also, MacNichol does sponsor some road trips, where you can try a guitar out for a week for a nominal fee. Check out the MacNichol.com forums for details.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I am after a CF guitar and struggling due to the lack of local availability to go and try. I really like the Emerald style, but there are no dealers within a days drive of me. Really struggling with spending a bunch of money without trying.

So my question: for those who took a chance and ordered a CF (any of Emerald, CA, Rainsong) without having opportunity to try it, any disappointments or regrets?
We have all been there, spending $ on a guitar you haven't played is very difficult. The above advice is good, the road trips have been great to give me a chance to play lots of models for a week. Several years ago I actually took time out from a vacation to stop at a Chicago music shop that had a large selection of carbons. Good thing about Carbons is once you play the model, it will not change from guitar to guitar. Also you get a feel for what Rainsong or CA tends to sound like. Sometimes ya just got to go for it. I did that with the Emerald Doubleneck and I got my favorite guitar in the process. Take heart the carbon guitar makers out there are all pretty awesome. Had a chance to play a Blackbird Lucky 13 a couple of months ago on a one week road trip, awesome guitar. My next purchase will be a Emerald Mando - Guitar, totally unique. Also Michael at MacNickol or Ted at LA Guitar are very knowledgable and can scope out your tendencies and match you up.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I would recommend a try or return policy - the tone is not for everyone.

steve
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I bought my Rainsong Shorty from Ted at LA Guitar Sales. I had played a Rainsong for about 30 seconds, 6 months earlier. I was a little apprehensive, but Ted told me I had 48 hours to be sure the guitar was right for me. My response was, "I wouldn't order it if I didn't think it was going to be right." But, I appreciate the policy, since I was 3 states away.

First strum was convincing. I now understand the CF owners' comments about "the carbon fiber sound." I also appreciate the sound I get from my lovely wood Taylors. Not the same, but each has its place. My Rainsong Shorty sounds great. You don't need 48 hours... or a week... or even an hour - you'll know right away if it is right for you.

Good luck with the search,
Captain Jim
Old 11-08-2013, 02:11 PM

I think with that guitar Ted's risk is pretty minimal! The tuffer issue is once into carbon your ears or expectations can change. I think mine have.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I bought my Emerald X20-OS directly from Alistair without haveing tried one before...(due to his St. Patricks Day sale)...and absolutely love it!!! So I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the Carbon Fiber manufactures out there...
All of them seem to be of exceptional quality!!! I would trust Ted at LA guitars and Michael at Mc'Nichols guitars for any Carbon Fiber advice without reservations!!!
I don't know of any sponsors of our forum that have embraced the carbon fiber revolution as much as these guys...
My only regret? I did'nt order a 12 string X20-OS at the same time!!!
P.S. Another regret is that I can't yet afford a Rainsong, Blackbird OM, CA, or Emerald...but time is on my side...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I think with that guitar Ted's risk is pretty minimal! The tuffer issue is once into carbon your ears or expectations can change. I think mine have.
I think my expectations have expanded more than changed. After 3 days of a "honey-do" project, tonight I took the time to play... instead of picking one guitar and spending an hour with that, I rotated through the Rainsong, a Taylor 814ce, and a GSmini. Each one made me smile; made my fingers and ears happy. The 814 is just a sweet guitar; this particular one has a gorgeous tobacco sunburst and plays like buttah. The Rainsong Shorty is a great size... you'd expect it to sound different from the 814, and it does. Not better, not worse - more "chime," great balance. And then, the GSmini: surprisingly, it doesn't sound smaller. The other two guitars are more money, but this Mini doesn't know that - it runs with the big dogs.

A solid wood, a carbon fiber, and a laminate. In spite of the materials that make up the guitars, each has its own great sound. My ears like 'em all. Knowing that I'll be going from the Gulf Coast to the Arizona desert, and to the Pacific Northwest, one of these guitars will (besides sounding great) be more carefree.

You can't just walk into any ol' guitar shop and find a carbon fiber. The two dealers mentioned in this thread know CF. You can't go wrong dealing with them.

Captain Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM

I had not one but two different CF guitars -- the brand isn't relevant to this topic -- that turned out to be clearly less than satisfactory and I returned both before I ordered a third one that I had never played, although I did play the same model in a store, so I had a good idea of what I was getting. If you know what you want and do your homework, you're probably quite safe ordering from a reputable dealer, but I'd certainly never spend that kind of only without knowing that I could get my money back if I needed to.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I had not one but two different CF guitars -- the brand isn't relevant to this topic -- that turned out to be clearly less than satisfactory and I returned both before I ordered a third one that I had never played, although I did play the same model in a store, so I had a good idea of what I was getting. If you know what you want and do your homework, you're probably quite safe ordering from a reputable dealer, but I'd certainly never spend that kind of only without knowing that I could get my money back if I needed to.
I appreciate your not naming brands, but I am curious as to the time frame of the guitars that disappointed.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
that turned out to be clearly less than satisfactory and I returned both
I appreciate your candor and agree with Steve that I am glad you didn't name brands.

Can you comment on why they were less than satisfactory? Fit and finish? Too brash a sound? No bass? Something else?

As well, did you feel you happened to get 2 example with one-off problems (ie a quality control problem) or did you feel the issue was inherent in the particular model (design issue)?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:

N2G_eh,

We were in the same situation early this year. I called Ted with LA Guitars, and spoke with him, we reviewed existing guitars owned, playing style, etc.... We also discussed it would be our travel/camping/beach guitar. He narrowed down what would be best. So, after further reviewing our conversation and the guitars we have, he suggested the Rainsong S-OM1100 N2 and a 48 hour demo period. He promptly shipped it and today we are very happy. We put Newtone MasterClass Double Wounds on it and we changed out the Tusq saddle to an ivory one. It is also very comfortable to play. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM

From my understanding the newer CF guitars sound better than the older ones. They've gotten better at making them sound like a "regular" guitar now, more so than 10-15 years ago. I tried an old used GF parlor guitar before and it sounded like an all laminate beater guitar, and it was $1,200. Hopefully if you do buy one sight unseen it will be a newer, more refined model.

I'd just buy from somewhere reputable with a return policy, that way you can just eat the shipping costs if you really don't like it.
2011 Guild M120E
Old 11-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Emails sent to new2guitar and Doubleneck.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Sean,

Email received....many thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber