The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Hohner Guitars

On Sunday, I'm going to see about buying a guitar. It's an acoustic guitar, made by Hohner. I don't have any pictures, but I know it's an old guitar. If I like it, I'll buy it.

From what I've seen, Hohner is a pretty small name in the Guitar world, they're much more into harmonicas and accordions. I haven't found much information on them, the Wikipedia page is helpful but tells me next to nothing about what to expect out of the guitar. So, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows what I should be looking out for. What should I know about Hohner guitars before making a decision? Does anyone here own one, and if so, do you like yours?

Here's everything I know about the guitar in question:
  • It's used. Probably vintage, although I don't have an exact age. I'm pretty sure the guitar's older than me.
  • It's probably steel-string (judging by the headstock).
  • It has white binding on the body and fretboard.
  • It comes with a hard case.
  • It's likely that it hasn't been played for a while.

My guess is that's it's a good guitar, and that $180 is a very good price. Unless I find something horribly wrong with it, I'll probably buy it.

Hohner Limited Edition HG 310, nicknamed "Evelyn".
Ibanez IJV50-NT 3U-01 dreadnought, nicknamed "Amber".
Starcaster by Fender strat, nicknamed "Sylvia".
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Don't know about their acoustics, but in the early seventies I played a Hohner fretless bass that was excellent.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM

I have an old Hohner set up high for open tuned slide. Hohner guitars are like everything else - they range from horrible to pretty good. Hope this one's good. Good luck, Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Don't know about their acoustics, but in the early seventies I played a Hohner fretless bass that was excellent.
Good to know. Hopefully this guitar's of a similar quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have an old Hohner set up high for open tuned slide. Hohner guitars are like everything else - they range from horrible to pretty good. Hope this one's good. Good luck, Roy
Thanks. I'm hopeful for a good one here, but then again, any half-decent guitar would be a lot better than what I've got.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Actually, Hohner is a pretty BIG name in acoustic guitars. I had an all-mahogany acoustic built in Indonesia, and the tone was outstanding.

Someone I met who works at a music shop says the Hohners now built in China sound very good, too.

Do more research on Hohners. Knowledge is power.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccozic View Post
Actually, Hohner is a pretty BIG name in acoustic guitars. I had an all-mahogany acoustic built in Indonesia, and the tone was outstanding.

Someone I met who works at a music shop says the Hohners now built in China sound very good, too.

Do more research on Hohners. Knowledge is power.
Ccozic - Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Samick? Cort? Yep. Hohner? No way. Hohner IS NOT a big name in acoustics, not even close. If you can prove me wrong I welcome the education. Most of their stuff is low end but they make some middle of the road stuff too. I have NEVER played a great sounding Hohner Acoustic. Their recent "essential" collection was some of the worst sounding guitars I have ever played at their price point.

That said, my best friend has a Hohner ES335 copy that he has heavily modded and loves.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Guest 728

My Hohner HRM-400 is a killer brass-bodied biscuit resonator! Top-notch MIK construction; no rattles or buzzes, and it's got fabulous bluesy tone for days. This slothead retailed originally for $850 or so, but I got it for $500 with case several years ago. Can't say at it leaves me wanting for anything.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Now, that's a beautiful resonator. I typically dislike the looks of resonator guitars, but that one is stunning. Very classy looking.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM

What model is it? If it's an old Hohner HG series guitar from the '70's-early '80's it was likely made in Japan. Look in the sound hole. Mine says Handcrafted in Japan on the label. Mine's also stamped with the month and year of production: 01/78 though many are not dated. I have a 1978 HG-320 which was one of their top of the line all solid wood guitars. Spruce top with rosewood back and sides. Mine is a D-40 copy with a three piece back. This model was played by Hank Williams Jr back in the '70's. I can't speak to the current crop of Hohner guitars but those older HGs and the Arbor series are very coveted guitars by those of us in the know. Mine has been played by vintage Martin and Gibson owners and has never failed to highly impress them. They rarely come up for sale because they have little value as a collectable due to the wrong name on the headstock but as a player they're worth significantly more. I'll never sell mine as it would cost me about 10x what I paid for it in 1997: $219 with a HSC to replace with a guitar of equal playability and tone. The HG-320 typically sells for $350-$600 though I've seen one sell for as high as $750 several years ago. These were not cheap guitars new. List was about $400 in 1978. Mine came with the original receipt and sold for $289 street. There's a Hohner Owners club over at tdpri.com: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/305616-hohner-owners.html. I encourage you to check it out. Hope this has been helpful.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)

Last edited by woodstock64; 10-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Hohner Guitars

If you're interested google "Hohner HG-320" and you can read my review on Wholenote.com. You'll also see that these HG-320 models are almost universally praised. I've only seen one bad review and that was by someone who didn't even have their facts correct.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM

I had a Hohner 12 string, until I found Alvarez. It was a well made nice sounding guitar. Not high end, not low end either.
Dan
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM

I applaud you for going off the beaten path here. As easy (and enjoyable) as it is to go with Martins, Taylors & Gibsons, it can also be quite rewarding to swim upstream a bit. I did this to some degree with Guild, although Guild is still a well known brand. I have a buddy who always goes against the grain, even more than I. When he wanted a motorcycle, he wanted a Triumph. He's in the market for an acoustic now. What's he getting? Washburn. I admire that way of thinking. I hope that Hohner is a good one.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM

One more thing to consider going in..if this is a very old guitar it could have problems like the need for a neck reset that wouldn't be worth the money on an old and not very valuable guitar. More than once I've looked at an old acoustic that looked neat online but didn't pan out. I looked at a cool old Aria OM the other day from the seventies and it had action like a dobro. The seller wasn't asking crazy money for it but it was still too much for a wall hanger.

If the action is good, the neck is straight and there aren't other structural problems, and you like it, go for it.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM

How do you know what it looks like if you don't have any pics?

The reason I ask, is because if there is a pic on the net, I'm sure posting it here would help to specifically identify the model. The people here no just about everything about any kind of guitar.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
How do you know what it looks like if you don't have any pics?

The reason I ask, is because if there is a pic on the net, I'm sure posting it here would help to specifically identify the model. The people here no just about everything about any kind of guitar.
I've seen pictures, but I don't have a link or anything. I was shown by someone with Facebook access, but because I'm not on Facebook myself, I don't have the images. I may ask someone to send me the pictures in an email, though, if it would be helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
hohner