The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Carbon Fiber Finishes...

I think I must have a somewhat unique perspective on the way carbon fiber guitars are finished. To my eyes glossy finished carbon looks way too much like plastic. It just looks cheesy... I especially don't like the painted Rainsongs and the new burst finishes are the worst of them all.

I own a Rainsong Shorty in the SFT finish and I simply LOVE this guitar. I love the fact that I don't have to humidify it... That I can leave it in my car without worrying about heat... I love the short scale 12 fret neck with the cutaway... And I think it sounds really good!

My take on the SFT finish is that it feels "honest". Yes, it might be a little rough, but it doesn't seem like its trying to be something it's not and it doesn't look like a plastic guitar! It's also aging nicely. Where my arm rests it's getting a patina, which I like.

The back of the neck is a beautifully soft satin finish and I could go for a whole guitar in that finish, but I'm totally happy with the SFT...

Anybody agree with me???
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Recall that Evan mentioned he liked his carbon fiber guitars in the same way he likes his coffee: black and sweet.
I'm somewhat similar: the new guitars I bought (CA X-Performer & Blackbird Super OM) were in carbon-burst finishing.
But then, used guitars in various finishing pop up for auction or resale and I inevitably won these at unbelievably amazing prices, thus the collection below ...
Too much GAS, I tell you...
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Don't disagree with you on the painted Rainsongs. Need to see he burst in person but not sure they have pulled it off with the colors that look the best. thought old CA had that down pretty well. Still like the gloss showing the weave, but haven't seen one like yours. Does it show weave?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

I really prefer the gloss carbon fiber look. It's like the components of a fine sports car.

I wonder if Rainsong would do an airbrush flamed finish like my old 1960's Orpheus guitar?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a fan of the painted Rainsongs, but the thread with the "Parlor eye candy" that features the burst finish Rainsong made me take a second (OK, and a third) look.

I am considering a carbon fiber guitar (never had one before) as a travel guitar. I won't buy a painted color one, the standard carbon fiber finish (glossy or light texture) is appealing... but, I do like that burst.

The last two guitars I bought were Taylors: an 814ce with a tobacco burst, and a T-5 with a honey burst. I guess I am consistent.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM

Have to disagree at least when it comes to my old CA's

[}
Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 AM

I can go either way. I love the look of exposed CF weave. On the other hand, I also love the carbon burst finish on my CA Vintage Performer and GX (gloss black sides and back, burst on top revealing CF weave as it gets towards the center). They are very sharp.

I don't usually like burst finishes, but that Rainsong burst looks very nice to me.

I think the look I'm growing particularly fond of is the full exposed, colored weave that Emerald is offering. I'm not crazy about some of the colors, but that amber looks really nice.

I like some of the painted finishes, like the aforementioned burst and some of the other Rainsongs, but don't care for some of the other colors (not big on red, green or blue painted guitars, for instance). I do like the white CAs (not to mention it would sure be nice if you had to play out in the sun).
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

just like a Gibson Style Bursts. Here were mine. The only one I have left is the J45. it was amazing how close the old CA painter got to it.

2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 08-02-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM

I agree with your feelings about the fine texture finish maybe being a little more honest. Still, after living with mine for ten months I've come to the realization that the finish is harder to keep clean than I would have thought, especially where the forearm makes contact. If I were to get another RainSong I really don't know which way I'd go. Still, as you said, it's robustness is one of it's best attributes. When I get a new car I usually put floormats on top of the factory floormats to keep them clean! Yeah, sick or at least in need of help. I am a lot less concerned about it's appearance than if it had the gloss finish. Therefore, my enjoyment quotient is a bit higher.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Since this thread started, I ordered and received a Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE... glossy finish with the abalone shark fret markers, rosette, and bridge pins. I love the way the guitar plays and sounds, and I couldn't be more delighted with the gloss finish (well, it does show fingerprints - the first thing my wife did was give me another miracle cloth ).

As far as the "honesty" of the guitar... I put it on a polygraph machine - the guitar is completely honest! Did I mention: it looks great?!

Yep, I like my guitars the way I like my woman: honest, rich, classy, and low maintenance! Nothing plastic looking about this beauty.

Captain Jim
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Have to go with Emerald having the best finish and look for carbon guitars, there is a touch there that the others have yet to emulate.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM

The subject of which finishes should or shouldn't be used on guitars is as old as the modern guitar itself and which is best is quite subjective of course. To say that a carbon guitar has to show it's weave is just as silly as saying a wood guitar needs to show the wood grain, and the opinion that Emerald or CA have a better burst than Rainsong is about as accurate as saying Gibson does burst better than Martin or Taylor.

Yes, to some a carbon guitar has to look a certain way but to most it's all about the tone, playability and durability, beyond that why not have a little fun with the finish?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Very interesting responses... The main thing it collectively points out is that just about everything about guitars, including finish, is subjective. I seem to be outnumbered in liking a matte finish on my carbon, but that is OK by me. I was simply wondering if anyone out there shared my views...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahill View Post
Very interesting responses... The main thing it collectively points out is that just about everything about guitars, including finish, is subjective. I seem to be outnumbered in liking a matte finish on my carbon, but that is OK by me. I was simply wondering if anyone out there shared my views...
Greetings Sahill...I agree that the finish is subjective...just as the tone of guitars sound better for different folks and their style of playing...
I am reminded of Ted's post where he commented on the pewter Rainsong in the sun that didn't "burn his arm" due to color...irregardless of finish I guess...
Anyway...I am in the camp of folks that consider the Carbon Fiber Builders as being innovators, so I applaud their efforts to transcend the ordinary!!!
It was quite a paradigm shift for me when I realized that guitars did not have to be made out of wood to sound awesome!!! (and I'm still in awe)
Now if the type of finish could make me play better...Hmmm...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahill View Post
I think if the Rainsong FT finish was more like the Taylor satin finish more folks might like it but then the price would probably be the same as the gloss. Me, I'm kind of thinking I need a Rainsong Burst in the stable like the 12-Fret below.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber