The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Default Blackbird nut width

Just an observation on my Rider. The nut width is advertised as 1 3/4", but in the few weeks I've been playing it, I felt that it seemed a little wider than that, as I felt that the thumb wrapped around the neck had to stretch a little bit extra to reach the 6th string. So finally I took out a metal ruler and measured the area around the nut. It turns out that, while the nut width is indeed 1 3/4", the edge of the fretboard at the nut has been rounded off to the nut, so the "effective" width of the fretboard around the nut is actually close to 1.8".

Is there any Rider owner (or owner of another Blackbird) who has discovered the same situation as well? It's not a big deal, as it takes a little bit of adjustment compared to my other guitars. If anything, I might not be as intimated by the prospect of playing a Seagull anymore.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM

I don't have my Rider yet, but I just measured the guitar I play the most often (a Takamine 12-string) and find that it's 1 7/8" at the nut ... so I'm guessing I'll adjust easily to the Rider at least in that regard. I think because my first guitar (and my only one for the first ten years) was a classical with a wide neck, I'm comfortable with wider necks.

Now I must go back to waiting for my new guitar ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber