The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Rainsong Parlor Nylon String!!

Some weeks back I discussed the possibility of a nylon string Parlor with Ashvin and the result is pictured below. I asked for a 14-fret long scale for added string tension and it really seems to work. Although it lacks the projection of a full size classical it has plenty of volume and it sound fantastic plugged in. As you can see this is a full dress version of the Parlor with Abalone rosette and shark fret markers. Very sexy.

I invite any members near the store to come in and give it a try, love to hear your opinions. In a few weeks I'll be sending this guitar off to Arizona so Lisa (Itself) and Kramster can give it a try.

Below is a link to a quick youtube video and a link to some photos. BTW, the guitar is not for sale.

http://youtu.be/cRyvIY7TJDk

http://laguitarsales.com/pages/4936/...g_PA9000N2.htm

Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM

Sweet! I would love to see this as a 12 fret short scale with a uni top. i am looking forward to trying her out!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Ted,

Thank you for the update. How does this new model compare with the older WS9000?

http://www.rainsong.com/models/ws9000.html

The new PA9000N2 sounds great in this brief youtube clip... any chance of a lengthier workout? With some chording as well?

Thank you again.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
Ted,

Thank you for the update. How does this new model compare with the older WS9000?

http://www.rainsong.com/models/ws9000.html

The new PA9000N2 sounds great in this brief youtube clip... any chance of a lengthier workout? With some chording as well?

Thank you again.

The WS9000 was based on the much larger WS, or Grand Auditorium body while this guitar uses the P14 Parlor as a starting point. Obviously a much handier guitar. This little gem came in while I was out of town so I am just now getting to know it but so far I am loving it. This one might have to go right in to the personal collection.

I will ask Pierre to record and post a more complete sample on our Facebook page on Saturday.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 PM

Thank you, Ted...

I am very interested to see how the reviews go... I would lean toward a 12-fret as well. Maybe even in an OM/Shorty as well!!?

I would be curious as to why the RainSong WS9000 was discontinued... maybe just too early in the CF acceptance process, I am guessing? Or maybe the nylon strings did not fill the WS body size? Again, not dissing... just curious. I am sold on RainSong.

A friend who had his Taylor 814CE stolen has been borrowing my RainSong Shorty Limited... I cannot WAIT to get it back!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:

Thank you, Ted...

I am very interested to see how the reviews go... [B]I would lean toward a 12-fret[/B] as well. Maybe even in an OM/Shorty as well!!?

I would be curious as to why the RainSong WS9000 was discontinued... maybe just too early in the CF acceptance process, I am guessing? Or maybe the nylon strings did not fill the WS body size? Again, not dissing... just curious. I am sold on RainSong.

A friend who had his Taylor 814CE stolen has been borrowing my RainSong Shorty Limited... I cannot WAIT to get it back!

The 14 fret neck just looks odd! And I would really like to see a manufacturer offer a short scale classical with a sound port.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 AM

Lisa,

I am very interested to hear your thoughts after playing it.

I would lean toward an OM body because I think that is closer in dimension to a classical size... although that is not a big deal. If I am looking for a nylon string CF guitar, I am obviously not all that concerned about convention! LOL!

That said, it seems that most if not all nylon acoustics, and classical guitars in particular, use a 12-fret neck... a cutaway would be a must, IMHO.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Was the weave top used for a reason? Does CO and nylon not mix well?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Was the weave top used for a reason? Does CO and nylon not mix well?
Great question! Particularly since Ted stated that it doesn't have huge volume.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Thank you, Ted...

I am very interested to see how the reviews go... I would lean toward a 12-fret as well. Maybe even in an OM/Shorty as well!!?
Ashvin built a nylon Shorty last year, I was not impressed at all, just not enough volume from a guitar that size, in fact this custom Parlor has just as much projection as that custom Shorty did.

As for using the long scale, that was my idea, I felt the longer scale would provide needed string tension. For the record I also prefer the look of the 12 fret Parlor and would like to be able to hear a 12 and 14 fret version side by side. Stay tuned.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Ted,

I think a 12 fret short scale WITH traditional classical tuners would be great. I wonder if traditional classical tuners would create more string tension?

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Humanist

Have Ashvin make a 12-fretter with a 24" scale and send it directly to me, please...(slotted headstock, of course)!

1-7/8" nut, and a flat (no) radius fingerboard.

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Ted,

Thanks for pursuing this. I have been hoping for a nylon carbon fiber guitar for some time.

I would definitely have interest in buying a 12 fret model with electronics as a performance/stage guitar. Please keep us posted!

- Ken
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Have Ashvin make a 12-fretter with a 24" scale and send it directly to me, please...(slotted headstock, of course)!

1-7/8" nut, and a flat (no) radius fingerboard.

Larry, if you'll cover the cost of the mold for the new neck I'm sure Ashvin will be happy to build us a 24" 12-Fret parlor with slotted headstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ken View Post
Ted,

Thanks for pursuing this. I have been hoping for a nylon carbon fiber guitar for some time.

I would definitely have interest in buying a 12 fret model with electronics as a performance/stage guitar. Please keep us posted!

- Ken
It's just a matter of time now Ken.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Larry, if you'll cover the cost of the mold for the new neck I'm sure Ashvin will be happy to build us a 24" 12-Fret parlor with slotted headstock.

Sure...that'd be about a buck two eighty, right...?

All kidding aside, I've *had* some discussion w/Ashvin about the 24" scale in the past...I think a serious nudge (from you...hint, hint) might push him closer to actually doing this...for a steel-string *and* nylon for the parlor body.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber