The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Default RainSong dreadnoughts

Hello. I'm seeking input from owners of RainSong dreadnought guitars.

Can anyone out there recommend a model that might be suited best for bluegrass flatpicking? I played the Bluegrass model and wasn't really convinced that the unidirectional top was strong enough for medium gauge string tension, as the top bowed slightly, raising the action.

Has anyone had satisfactory results stringing up their RainSong dreadnought with Medium strings? Maybe a hybrid model?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 PM

I play a Rainsong dread, a CODR1000N1 with the uni top. Never had the need to play medium strings. The lights have plenty of tone.... The original strings need to be played a few hours to mellow out, or you could change to the Polyweb Elixers. There are other strings out there that will change the tone to what you desire in a dread. Have you checked with Rainsong about using the heavier strings?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

I have the Bluegrass model which I string with lights and that sucker is loud. Really loud.

I don't know why any bluegrass player would need a guitar louder than that. You want to the audience to be able to hear the banjos, faintly, in the background.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM

I am playing the BI-DR1000NS currently with elixer nano med lights, no change in action with the that sting change. What is really cool, is the huge differences a saddle makes, I have switched between the graphtec, MOP and obbligato. The MOP is currently my favorite.
and a bunch of Tacoma's
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM

The Elixir Light-Medium gauge has light gauge E/G/B strings and beefier medium gauge E/A/D strings... they play fantastic!

If you want a little bit warmer tone... go for the poly-web over the nano-web.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
...I don't know why any bluegrass player would need a guitar louder than that. You want to the audience to be able to hear the banjos, faintly, in the background.
Hah! My WS1000 is a Thunder Beast... with lights...

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM

I play bluegrass on occasion with my H DR1000 and when I do, I use D'Addario Bluegrass strings to keep the strings from rattling from the harder playing that Good bluegrass tends to need. Most of my Bluegrass is with the Banjo so if I'm playing a song or 2 with my guitar, I keep the lights on and ease up on the pick and turn up the volume.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cort View Post
I am playing the BI-DR1000NS currently with elixer nano med lights, no change in action with the that sting change. What is really cool, is the huge differences a saddle makes, I have switched between the graphtec, MOP and obbligato. The MOP is currently my favorite.
How would you describe the difference in sound between the graphtec and MOP saddle

Thanks
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Any one of the Rainsong dreadnoughts should work for bluegrass better than the now discontinued BG Bluegrass model, For starters the short scale 12-Fret neck adds warmth you wont need, and gives up projection and headroom you will. Adding the unidirectional back and sides does more of the same by muting the highs, almost muffling the tone. If it were me, I would go with a CO-DR1000N2 and never look back. The unidirectional top will give you a bit more warmth than the standard, or Black Ice models, which sound exactly the same by the way, and you will not be giving up any projection or volume. Although these guitars work well with lights provided by Rainsong, were I using mine for bluegrass, I would probably opt for the added strength of mediums.

As to saddles, I have tried two identical Rainsong guitars with different saddles and could only hear a subtle difference with the Obligato saddles, which added a bit of warmth by muting some of the highs. Also tried bone and Micarta but there wasn't enough difference with these to worry about over the stock Tusq saddle.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Try martin light/medium phos bronze. 12.5s. 174lb tension. 10lbs more than light and 10lbs leas than medium. It should help settle it in. MSP4150.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I special ordered one of the first RainSong CO-DR1000N2 guitars back in October 2010. It was a pretty good bluegrass guitar with the light-guage, factory-supplied Elixir Nanoweb Bronze Lights on it. I tried the Nanoweb Medium-Lights and it sounded even better. I've also had a Rainsong DR1000. Frankly, I find the tone of either a RainSong WS-1000 or CO-WS1000N2 better for bluegrass than the CO-DR1000N2. How do I know this? I've had several RainSong models and find the WS1000/CO-WS1000N2 models the clearest-sounding for a variety of musical styles.

If a player is looking for a really great-sounding bluegrass guitar for $1900, I suggest auditioning a new Peavey-made, Composite Acoustic Legacy Raw Acoustic-Electric Dreadnought. I never thought I'd compliment a CA product but this model screams BLUEGRASS TONE!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-23-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...Frankly, I find the tone of either a RainSong WS-1000 or CO-WS1000N2 better for bluegrass than the CO-DR1000N2. How do I know this? I've had several RainSong models and find the WS1000/CO-WS1000N2 models the clearest-sounding for a variety of musical styles.
I have a BI-WS1000N2. It has taken a bit of getting used to, it is a very demanding instrument. Now that I can better control the dynamics (this thing is powerful!), I am finding the WS1000 to be very good for any type of music. I am not a bluegrass guy but it is outstanding for any sort of single note work (so far as my limited ability can reveal).

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I have a BI-WS1000N2. It has taken a bit of getting used to, it is a very demanding instrument. Now that I can better control the dynamics (this thing is powerful!), I am finding the WS1000 to be very good for any type of music. I am not a bluegrass guy but it is outstanding for any sort of single note work (so far as my limited ability can reveal).
Your RainSong BI-WS1000N2 is the model I may get the next time I get a new RainSong! Are you aware there are Fishman Aura Images available for your model? I've found that Aura Images take the edge off the Fishman Prefix Plus T amplified tone.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Your RainSong BI-WS1000N2 is the model I may get the next time I get a new RainSong! Are you aware there are Fishman Aura Images available for your model? I've found that Aura Images take the edge off the Fishman Prefix Plus T amplified tone.
I didn't know, thanks very much for that information. I have long been considering an Aura system... many people seem to feel the compression combined with a good image match will give very good tone.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 AM

How about the hybrid (H-DR1100N2)? It has the closest sound to my best vintage Martin dreads I have found so far in a composite guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber