The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Taylor Gloss Drop Fills?

I'm pretty sure most have seen Dan Erlewein's video on drop fills with CA/super glue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

As I understand, the guitar he's working with is a lacquer finish. My question is: Does anyone know if this drop fill technique with CA glue will work on the Taylor UV gloss finish? (Or would the CA glue not come out as glossy?)

Taylor's UV finish is a little different and I accidentally made a little dent in my spruce top with a plastic tool - it was bound to happen sometime. I'm still deciding on whether I should try to repair it or just leave the battle wound as "character". I have stewmac's light and medium viscosity glues as well as the micromesh series, just not sure if it'll even be worth it.

Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM

I believe that's what Taylor uses for drop fills at the factory and after buffing the surface is essentially like new. However, if the ding goes into the wood you will likely still be able to see it. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks! Thankfully the ding didn't damage the fibers of the wood, just pressed it in slightly. Right when it happened, I steamed the dent in the wood up using a wet towel and a soldering iron - worked like a charm!

So the wood is back to level, just a slight indent and a noticeable crack in the finish. If that's what Taylor uses, I think I'll give it a shot!

Joe
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM

I wouldnt do that if I were you. It will look worse. Taylor uses the glue to fill the gap, then puts a uv finish over the glue.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM

I decided to call Taylor's support and ask. They said they definitely use CA glue to fill and match the UV finish, then use the series sanding and buffing wheel to carefully bring it back to shine. He didn't say anything about additional UV curing on top of the CA glue, my guess is because the UV solution has to cure directly to the wood?

I feel confident enough in my woodworking skills to give it shot. Unfortunately there are no lutherie services out here in Guam so we have to make do.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Good. Take clear, in focus, hi-res photos pre and post operation so we can see the results. It's certainly way more effort than I would do for a slight dent that will be repeated at some other point.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I decided to call Taylor's support and ask. They said they definitely use CA glue to fill and match the UV finish, then use the series sanding and buffing wheel to carefully bring it back to shine.
Exactly! The tricky part is in the leveling.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM

i filled one with clear fingernail hardner. worked fine and can't tell where it was. it was on the back of a mahogany guitar. i find their finish is bullet proof.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM

It works. i've done it. I don't recommend it unless you are beyond good with finishes. No, I pretty much say don't anyway. It will more than likely show when you're done. But if you must...Take a pine board dent it similar to your damage and fill it for practice. Scrape the fill down with a razor blade and levels of tape. It all takes the lightest touch and proper micro mesh sanding in steps and expert buffing. Live with the ding. PS, I dont own my repaired guitar.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:31 PM

To finally come full circle on this thread I started a year ago, I've completed the repair and drop-filled the gouge in the UV-cured high gloss. I've documented the process with pictures in this thread:
Repair: CA Glue Drop-Fill in UV-Cured High Gloss Finish

Cheers!

Joe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion