The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Default NGD: CA Cargo Raw

Hi everyone,

I just received my new Cargo today, and though I'm a forum newbie I thought I'd share the news here since posts here really inspired my purchase. This is my first carbon guitar, and my first acoustic since a Taylor 510 LTD which I owned a few years ago.

My first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. I live in Australia, so I was forced to buy sight-unseen, and I'm very relieved to find that I love the guitar's raw finish and the tone.

The finish feels really lovely. The top feels a lot like satin-finished wood to my ignorant fingers, and the back, sides and neck don't seem to easily get slippery or sticky.

The tone is brilliant. It's surprisingly mellow and full-bodied, but doesn't seem muddy to my ears. It's got a nice balanced tone when fingerpicked (which is the bulk of my playing). It's not very loud, unless you really dig in with your pick or fingertips, but it really sounds great when you do. I tend to have quite a light touch, but I can foresee this guitar changing that; its tone seems much more dynamic and responsive than my electric guitars played clean.

The guitar's neck-heavy balance threw me at first, but I've already adjusted. The scale length is great, requiring no real adjustment to my technique at all. The body is incredibly comfortable. It's not bulky or clumsy, the top edge doesn't bite into my arm, and the back is perfectly contoured (with a very subtle double bevel, which I wasn't expected). Of course, I'm used to playing a Parker Fly, so I may just have low standards for comfort.

I found the string tension and action were a bit much for me at first, being a insipid electric player who's only recently graduated to playing 9s in E standard, but downtuning to D standard has worked really nicely as an interim measure while I await a set of extra lights.

The intonation is spot on; the tuners are accurate, pleasant to use and seem stable; the pickup (which I didn't even realise I'd purchased) sounds great through my amp (a Suhr Badger) and is very discrete.

I'll cut myself off here, because I've got a guitar to play and an essay to write, but I wanted to say thanks to the forum at large for turning me on to an excellent guitar. Next up will be an Emerald X7-OS!

-Liam

Last edited by Fikealox; 11-14-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added photos :)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 PM

Although I am currently living in the US, I bought my CA GX while I was living in Australia, so, like you it was a gamble but ultimately a very happy one, and like you, it was on the strength of what I'd read online (although it was the macnichol forum).
As an ex-electric player I used to use extremely light strings on my acoustics, but I would encourage you to persist with the heavier gauges i.e. lights rather than extra-lights as you will get better results IMHO. It doesn't take too long to get used to it. Of course, feel free to disregard!
But anyway, congrats on your new purchase! Where in Oz are you?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Thanks

I've been really enjoying the Cargo's tone today, so I think I'll take your advice and persist with the heavier gauge. I'll just incrementally tune back up to E standard as my hands lose their pitiful weakness, haha.

I'm in the northern suburbs of Sydney, and while the lack of decent music stores here is irritating, I think my bank balance would be in danger if I lived in the US! Where abouts in Australia did you live? What're your thoughts on your GX?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

congrats on your first carbon. Mine was a Rainsong and also bought sight unseen relying on reviews from this forum.

I did try a 2nd hand Cargo Raw not long ago in a shop here in Perth and was really impressed how good in sounded. I really like the warm full tone (although not loud) and playability was great as. I still regret now that i didn't jump on it. I also let another one on go on gumtree which wasn't the right timing for me. But i am keen to get one myself.

Mind me asking where you got yours from?
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 AM

Rainsongs look incredible. I think my fascination with carbon acoustics started after a friend of mine raved last year about the Rainsongs he played when he was in LA.

I just grabbed mine off ebay I forget which dealer, but it was whichever had the cheapest 'price + postage'. Luckily, I was able to get the raw for a pre-postage price low enough to avoid GST.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 AM

Nice buy! Fun guitar to play/
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikealox View Post
Thanks
I'm in the northern suburbs of Sydney, and while the lack of decent music stores here is irritating, I think my bank balance would be in danger if I lived in the US! Where abouts in Australia did you live? What're your thoughts on your GX?
Lived all over, was in Brisbane when I moved to the US, but consider myself a Sydney boy. Yes, the guitars and guitar stores over here are incredible. I live not far from McCabes: I could easily pitch a tent in the back room and spend the rest of my days there, even if they don't have any Carbon Fiber guitars. One advantage of being here is I've managed to play a good selection of CF guitars, from all the major players. My favourite is still my CA GX, I consider it a great all rounder (Although the Levoira that Kramster mentioned is a stunning guitar!)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Liam - Welcome to the AGF and congrats on the new Cargo! Do you have any pics? Here's a thread on how to post pics to a thread (don't worry - I'm not pressuring you )

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=231872
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Lived all over, was in Brisbane when I moved to the US, but consider myself a Sydney boy.
Oh cool, I lived in Brisbane for my last few years of highschool. I've never been to the US, but I've always wanted to visit, and plan to after I finish uni. I'll have to check out McCabe's!

I've uploaded some (unexciting) pictures in the OP, but at least they show the comfortable contour of the back
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 AM

Welcome, your Cargo looks very nice, enjoy. Played one at my local music store was impressed. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 AM

I have the same model and love it! Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
cargo raw