The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Good points Fatstrat.

Quote:
But to give the benefit of the doubt, it does appear that Neil believes that it was.
As reflected in Young's remark to the audience one day at the Ryman Auditorium:

"This is Hank William's guitar. I try to do the right thing with the guitar. You don't want to stink with Hank's guitar. I lent it to Bob Dylan for a while. He didn't have a tour bus so I lent him mine and I left the guitar on the bed with a note saying Hank's guitar is back there. He used it for a couple of months."

Of course Young also uses several D-18's, including this 1952 model (left):

Last edited by Misty44; 08-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Does Neil need the money or something?
Ever since his days in Buffalo Springfield (check "Mr. Soul" and "Out of My Mind"), Neil has been skeptical of the trappings and glamours of superstartdom. Also, I think Neil has a pretty good estimation of his own skills as a guitarist and figures there are probably a lot of other pickers more worthy to have a guitar model named for them than he is.

Last edited by zabdart; 08-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Default Why

I love Neil Young but I doubt vey much having his signiture guitar would make any difference. From my perspective I think signiture models are some of the silliest things made. At the end of the day they are just some great guitars with someones name behind them and I really get a kick when someone wants to buy one so they can sound like the players name.ship
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Does Neil need the money or something?
I'm not privy to Young's financial condition, but I'm guessing he has more money than the GNP of most countries.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM

I wonder if Martins ever suggested that the profits go to the Bridge School.

TW
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

TW
Now that would be a good idea!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I didn't know that. I think it's interesting when you can trace guitars with historic pasts.

As far as the Martin sig, I thought the same thing a couple of years back.
Yea the old wore out looking D28 he plays belonged to Hank Williams. Supposivly hank Jr traded it for some shotguns years ago and Niel Young ended up with it. There's a interview somewhere online where Niel talks about the honor of having hanks guitar
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Neil's a rare (read strange) bird in some respects. And "selling out" seems to be one of his pet peeves.
Some of his most notable refusal to "sell out" moments.
Refusing in the early days of "Buffalo Springfield" to appear on the "Tonight Show" w/Johnny Carson. Which would've been a huge boost in national exposure.
Refusing to allow film crews to film him at Woodstock.
His personal loathing of his most commercially successful record album "Harvest". Which he considers a "sell out" record.
As to Neil's Martin D-28 formerly belonging to Hank Williams. There is some question as to the truth of that. Neil reportedly obtained the guitar from a dealer w/a questionable reputation for selling instruments advertised as being owned/used by famous people. But that he could not actually prove were. And the Neil Young/Hank Williams D-28 reportedly falls into this category. In the world of collectibles, proof is everything. But to give the benefit of the doubt, it does appear that Neil believes that it was.
Apparently Hank Williams owned & used several Martin guitars. Most of which are D-28's. There are other reportedly verified "Hank Williams" Martins in various country music museums.
Sorry to jump the gun on my previous post. Your comments are correct IMO. There's really no way to know. I suppose maybe hank jr could have verified it since he supposedly traded it off.

Also true hank had many d28s. Some band members often said hank had a new one every week because Bashing someone over the head with them. There were quite a few drunken conflicts hank was involved in than typical history tells. He was also a very generous man and would give a lot of guitars away
Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
I love Neil Young but I doubt vey much having his signiture guitar would make any difference. From my perspective I think signiture models are some of the silliest things made. At the end of the day they are just some great guitars with someones name behind them and I really get a kick when someone wants to buy one so they can sound like the players name.ship
I disagree. Some of the greatest guitars ever made are signature models. Where would music be with Les Paul's signature guitar? Having said that, I don't think Neil is the consent to a signature model kind of guy.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

When I think of any Pop/Rock artists who NEVER sold-out, it is a VERY short list, and Neil is right there, at the top of it...

There is NO WAY IN THIS WORLD that he would allow anyone to make a "signature" model with his name on it... regardless of any and all monetary incentive...

In this world of instant gratification, doing anything for money, "I WANT IT NOW!" and 15 minutes of fame, Mr. Young is iconoclastic in his art... I've not always liked what he has recorded, but I always know it's "THE REAL DEAL"!!! Would that his ideal was more frequently embraced by others...

Thanks for a lifetime of great music, Neil Young... long may YOU run!!!

play on................................>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by local favorite View Post
I disagree. Some of the greatest guitars ever made are signature models. Where would music be with Les Paul's signature guitar? Having said that, I don't think Neil is the consent to a signature model kind of guy.
No I think you missed my point I do not care about someone's name on any guitar, I only care if the guitar plays well and I think most Martin players might feel the same way. As you could build 1000 signiture model named guitars and most of them would not sound anything like the original one did.ship
to me its nothing mopre then a marketing tool that they use and thus doesn't mean much of anything.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
When I think of any Pop/Rock artists who NEVER sold-out, it is a VERY short list, and Neil is right there, at the top of it...
Couldn't agree more. I can't think of anyone that's even remotely in his league, really, as far as originality, longevity, and just about every other measure of greatness you can think of.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 PM

Les Paul had the ultimate signature guitar. He invented his own.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM

If Neil Young ever consents to endorse a Martin Signature Guitar, he will join a rare group of artists. For example, one of the Martin signature guitars was endorsed by no other than Tom and Ray Magliozzi, better known as "Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers", hosts of that nationally reknowned show on NPR, called "Car Talk".

Honestly, knowing that, I don't see how Neil could continue to say no. After all, it would be such a boost to his career. Ahem.

Martin should also do other historical figures on signature guitars, too. How about Baby Faced Nelson, Al Capone and John Dillinger signature guitars? Or, better yet, how about Larry King, Diane Sawyer, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie models? All of these would have special serial numbers, too. There's no end to the glory to be obtained with a signature model.

Last edited by Zigeuner; 08-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

If NY ever consented, I'm sure that would be his choice. The profits for all Martin signature editions go to some charity chosen by the artist or the artist's surviving family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

TW

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion