The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM

Default Anyone ever take out a barn door preamp and...

...turn the hole into a soundport? I'm considering doing this to my Seagull. I'd like to take out all the electronics and put in a SBT like a K&K or Dazzo. I wouldn't do the work myself, I'd leave it to a professional. If anyone has done this can you post pics?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 AM

Eric, I haven't done it but know that many people have, according to some of the comments I've seen in threads about soundports on this forum. Yanking out the barndoor electronics obviously an easy way to have a ready-made opening in the side of the guitar.

whm
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM

I know I've read somewhere on here about someone doing it. Seems like they had pictures as well...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivel View Post
...turn the hole into a soundport? I'm considering doing this to my Seagull. I'd like to take out all the electronics and put in a SBT like a K&K or Dazzo. I wouldn't do the work myself, I'd leave it to a professional. If anyone has done this can you post pics?
Hi Eric:

Yes, many here have talked about doing just that. As I recall, some have simply removed it and then installed a bit of trim around the opening.

Hope this helps!
Will
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3174287&type=3

I've done it to six or seven guiars, simply because the barndoor electronics were inferior. I wasn't trying to make a soundport. I did find, however, that the "sideport" makes it much easier to change batteries (for the new electronics) than if I'd had to loosen the strings.

One caveat - keep the barndoor electronics so that they can be re-installed if you intend to sell the guitar. Most players dislike the empty barn door look, so it will seriously harm your resale value.

Gary
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've done a search here in the forum and google, but haven't found and before and after pics. My preamp is a small B-Band that is rectangular, not as big as the Fishman prefix. I'm hoping to have it slightly enlarged to an oval shape.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erivel View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've done a search here in the forum and google, but haven't found and before and after pics. My preamp is a small B-Band that is rectangular, not as big as the Fishman prefix. I'm hoping to have it slightly enlarged to an oval shape.
Hi Eric...

The most sensible alteration I saw on this forum was someone who removed the barndoor electronics, and then made a plate of side wood (bent to fit the curvature of the removed electronics area) in which he cut a small side port.

He then finished the wood to match the side of the guitar, and it looked and worked great according to him.

Too big a side port doesn't produce good tone. It can affect the Helmholtz frequency of the guitar...likely in negative ways. A side port the size of a small egg produces an amazing amount of increase in volume to the player.

I was not into storing pics in those days, so I cannot produce the picture.

hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Luthier Dave Wendler made a tortoise plastic side-plate for one of my guitars, but the screw holes eventally stripped out and the darn thing started rattling. I ended up just pulling it out.

Enlarging the B-Band hole into a side port sounds like a workable plan, but once again I must caution about ill effects on the resale price. Empty barn door or no, buyers are wary of modifications. On one occasion, I lost 30% on a used Carvin guitar which I'd swapped the pickup on (no barn door involved). The swap improved the pickup performance considerably, and the buyer thanked me enthusiastically. However, he was the only bidder. I lost hundreds on a guitar that I bought used and improved on.

If resale value isn't a high priority, have at it! Experimenting with guitars and pickups is great fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification