The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Old Carbon Fiber guitars?

I've recently purchased a Rainsong WS-1000 and love, love, love it. I actually prefer it over my old wood steel strings.

However, there is something about the look of an old wood guitar with some mileage on it. An old 19th cerntury Martin for example.

Does anyone have a really old carbon guitar, or have an idea how they will age visually? Will they look exactly the same forever.

BTW, first post!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Welcome to AGF. Probably not very many folks make their first post in the CF forum...

The finishes on many (if not most) CF guitars is not that different from the finish on wood guitars, so wear and tear could definitely take its toll in some form. However, CF guitars will hold up to abuse a lot better. If Willie Nelson played a CF guitar all these years, he probably wouldn't have that extra hole in the top of his guitar.

If reasonably cared for, there's no reason why a CF guitar shouldn't still look great many decades later. With a good gloss finish, it might look brand new in a hundred years.

That being said, I don't think there are very many truly old CF guitars in existence, so who knows for sure?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

I've been gigging a Rainsong OM (HS-OM1100N2, I think) with the matte finish for over a year. The only wear I've put on it is getting a shiny spot where a pickguard would be located (if it had one) - probably because my hand keeps rubbing on that area.

I find that putting some wear on it makes it feel more like "mine".

Marsh
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 PM

the oldest Rainsongs are around 20 years old. i've seen several of those recently and they looked exactly the same as new (they no longer build those models)

the only part that will age is the finish (but very little). the carbon fiber will be exactly the same. maybe the metal parts can get some rust... yeah, and the strings do age too, but thats a different story
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Guest 720

I guess carbon fiber will scratch/dent/ding? As easily as wood? And I have to ask, wouldn't it be repairable?
It seems that if kept pretty well, it should be the same guitar in 20 years? or 50 years? Same straight neck, assuming it was initially straight.
Makes resale market a whole different animal from wood, right? I mean, with the exception of p/u systems, you are really only dealing with the parts any good setup will take care of (bridge, nut, strings, and maybe tuners), and maybe new frets every blue moon.
I guess summing up, wouldn't a 30 year old Rainsong, given new frets, and if necessary for a setup, bridge/nut (strings obviously) be pretty much identical to what was originally bought?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM

I have an eight year old CA. Aside from some fret wear and minor scratches on the back, I don't notice any difference from when it was new.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

I actually thought about the extra hole in Willie Nelson's guitar when I posted.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Wait about 3-4000 yrs and we shall see
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Carbon Guitars, Twinkies and Spam will rule the planet.....

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber