The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Cocobologist

Default Yamaha NTX700 - Any Comments?

I'm looking seriously at this model as a lower cost nylon string alternative. I plan on playing live with this and the Yamaha pickup system looks pretty intriguing. Anyone have an opinion on the Yamaha NTX series in general or the NTX700 specifically?

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '11 916ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM

My dad just got an NTX700 guitar. I went over the night he got it, and wound up playing it for a couple of hours. Its a great guitar! Lovely tone, well constructed, good electronics. The fretboard is radiused like a steel string guitar, and feels very good in my smallish hands. It is definitely a keeper. You can't go wrong with one. Of course, you should try it out yourself before buying to make sure.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM

I've had the NTX1200R for about a year and like it very much. Good playability and to me superior electronics compared to a piezo system.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 PM

I owned an NTX 700. I actually prefer the sound of cedar rather than spruce and the neck really didn't suit me. That being said it was a good sounding guitar and played well. I sold it to my guitar teacher who was interested in using it plugged in. It sounded really good plugged in. I think it is better suited for that rather than playing acoustically. "Just one man's opinion" ymmv.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Cocobologist

Thanks for the insight, folks. I've played one briefly at a local GC and it seemed comfortable. I agree that acoustically it sounds a little over built, but I'm willing to make a measured compromise on the tone as we go down in price.

That's the thing -- I've owned a variety of the Taylor nylons (a few 32's, 42, 52, 54) but because steel string acoustic is my primary instrument, I feel guilty having so much money tied up in an instrument that gets played maybe once a month. So I sell off the expensive nylon and put the money toward another steel. Of course, a month or two down the road I'm recording something or playing somewhere and think, "Man, I could really use a nylon string here."

So, I've set a $500 max budget for a decent quality crossover nylon guitar. This way, I can have a functional instrument at the ready when I need it without feeling guilty for spending too much. I'd be happy to hear suggestions anyone might have for a decent quality nylon string with cutaway, 1-7/8" nut, good sounding pickup system with gigbag or case. Thanks!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '11 916ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM

I have one and really like it. It was my first proper nylon string guitar in years so didn't want to spend a fortune. I wish now I spent a bit more and got the NTX900. I play it all the time and the pickup system in it is really top notch for the money. The only thing that would put me off buying another is getting a custom build made instead.

It is slightly overbuilt and I bet with a bit more refinement on the bracing, it could be a lot better.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Breedlove N250/CRe

For what it is worth, I just put my Breedlove N250/CRe up on the AGF Classifieds tonight. It seems to be what you are looking for except it is $75 over your $500 budget. I understand if $500 is the absolute limit. However, if there is some flexibility, check it out. I have owned a lot of crossovers, this seems to be one of the best bangs for the buck.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Cocobologist

Thanks all for the feedback. CC - I'm sure the Breedlove sounds outstanding, and I appreciate the offer. It's just that I've never been a fan of the aesthetics of their design. Guess I'm a little more traditional than that...

Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM

I like mine. Perfect for the occasional nylon-string flirtation. Acoustically its sound is a little blah, but sounds great plugged in. Here's mine recorded direct:

http://soundcloud.com/eric_m/chet-merle-etc
Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Cocobologist

Nicely played, Eric! That's some sweet Chet work you got going there - Thanks for sharing!

That really shows off the pickup well. Sounds incredibly natural without the too common piezo nasal signature. That's a great sounding guitar plugged in...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
That really shows off the pickup well. Sounds incredibly natural without the too common piezo nasal signature. That's a great sounding guitar plugged in...
Thanks for the compliments! Yep, very natural, and results have been similar through PAs and acoustic amps. A nice amount of onboard control, too, with the EQ, blend, etc.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Cocobologist

Decision made, NTX700 ordered. Should be here next week sometime. Thanks again to all for the reports and advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical