The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Default My next guitar will be carbon !

I wanted a carbon guitar since a long time.
After connecting with several carbon guitar makers, but failed to agree on a design, I finally settled on a Brunner model.
I already have a custom Brunner (full scale -although unusual 12 frets- full size redwood/walnut combo), which is a total success:

so was confident on finding a common field between me and Lukas Brunner.

This small beauty is on its way from Switzerland to Canada, here are the pics:

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM

jpbat,

Your new Brunner looks like a fantastic guitar!

Is it the standard Outdoor guitar size body and neck, which if I recall correctly, is a scale length of about 22.75?

If you have video posting capability, . . . and if you posted a video of you attaching the neck, playing for a bit so the guitar's sound is recorded, and then removing the neck and storing everything back in the case, . . . such a video would be a real crowd pleaser !!!

Best regards,
Jim K
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Yowza! That is a fantastic looking guitar. I would however like to see the fretboard and bridge offered in carbon.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

That is gorgeous, Jean-Paul - congrats!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Yowza! That is a fantastic looking guitar. I would however like to see the fretboard and bridge offered in carbon.
My feelings exactly. The guitar is stunning looking, but I don't want any wood on my CF guitars.

Regardless of my personal feelings about wood on a CF guitar, though, I would like to say again what a pretty instrument it is. Very elegant.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM

That new carbon will be the small body small scale model (between 21 and 22"). It is designed to be the (in my mind) the ultimate travel/no-worry guitar. I'm expecting it to be also a respectable country blues/ragtime weapon (I play fingerstyle only), and probably more than that courtesy of the Nanomag PU which is on it. We'll see.

My previous custom from Lukas Brunner is a full scale (25") full body wooden guitar with custom neck geometry and such. I wanted to use it originally as a travel guitar (and I do actually), but it proved much more than that, and I'm a little concerned now when traveling with it. Hence the new one, which I will use anywhere anytime without much concern except a robbery.
The wooden one can then be transported safely in a standard luggage.

About a video of the Brunner system, there are some on You Tube that you can look at, and also on the Brunner web site. This is a pretty straightforward process, you get use to it in a matter of minutes.

But if you want to see the process on that carbon guitar, yes I could make a vid when it will be in my hands in a few days.

Last edited by jpbat; 10-20-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to read the review.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM

That truly is incredibly cool! Woohoo!

And yes, I can vouch for both of Lukas Bunner's neck attachment systems - the basic and S.N.A.P. - you put it together and apart very very quickly and easily. And very stable!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM

Gorgeous! But yes, this guitar will still require humidifying due to the wood bridge and fretboard. Lukas seems so meticulous, that I am surprised he has or done this yet.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM

I agree with Ted.

Hey Ted, can you get RS to put sound ports on their guitars????
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM

I'm not bothered with pieces of wood like bridge or fret board in a carbon guitar. I think the moves aren't significant compared to the top or back and sides. I don't plan to let the guitar stay in the box of my truck all year long.

Lukas have heard of that thread and just sent me the following, confirming what I think on the subject (I didn't even talk about that with him) :

"Fretboard and bridge are the least critical parts on the guitar regarding humidity changes due their small width but they are the most complicated parts for me to make out of carbon fibre. The way I offer the carbon models I can very easily integrate them into our building process together with my wooden guitars and most steps during the building process after the assembling of the body remain the same. Also the neck block with the SNAP system installed is out of wood as it is so much easier to drill and cut into wood and again, those parts are never as big of an issue to humidity changes as B&S and the wide top of a guitar are. I love to build a few carbon models a year, but they are a small side product for me and I don't even want to build too many as I much prefer working with wood. Besides all that I simply love the look of the carbon wood combination too much to stop doing it. I also built a few models with wooden tops for sound reasons and they did sound fantastic and look very unique. Here some picts of a Cedar Carbon combination with a full scale..."

And indeed, this is gorgeous.

Also, Lukas reminded me that his full scale is 25 1/2" and his short scale is 21 1/2". I stand corrected. Should have verify before send the figures from the top of my head...

Last edited by jpbat; 04-21-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Beautiful! That cedar / carbon guitar is very intriguing too.

JR
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM

For that build it appears in the photo that he chose locking tuners. If Gotoh, then the buttons are custom also.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 AM

Locking tuners are mandatory to keep strings in place when you remove the neck on Brunner guitars. So they are part of the system. They are Gotoh, but I don't think the buttons are custom.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM

Yes, I should have realized that immediately!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber