The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 AM

Default Blackbird Rider?

Seems I am in the market for two carbon guitars, one for travel and one "cannon". I think I am in more "need" of a travel guitar first. I am leaning towards a Blackbird Rider in a big way. I would some impressions of folks who have got to give it a spin?

thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM

I used to own a rider and I loved it!! Blackbird makes awesome guitars!! The rider is a great strummer and. I really have no complaints!! Joe runs a great operation. My only regret with the rider was not not getting electronics. It's got great bass and is super loud

J
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I wish they would change the shape a bit, so that there was a contour for your leg. The accessory to add a leg support to play the guitar without it slipping is a bit awkward IMO.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester View Post
I used to own a rider and I loved it!! Blackbird makes awesome guitars!! The rider is a great strummer and. I really have no complaints!! Joe runs a great operation. My only regret with the rider was not not getting electronics. It's got great bass and is super loud

J
Super loud, nice.

I wonder if you can get the misi on it. Since it is so light, I can bring it anywhere, loud would be a huge bonus.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
I wish they would change the shape a bit, so that there was a contour for your leg. The accessory to add a leg support to play the guitar without it slipping is a bit awkward IMO.
I really like the sound of the Rider, but I just found the shape too awkward to play without a neck-up or strap. If what you need is durability, then any CF guitar would do. But if you really want small size too, then I would recommend an Emerald X5 or X7 over the Rider (at about half the cost too).
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM

I picked up a Rider from LA Guitar Sales last year on a whim and I could not be happier with it. Nice clear tone that doesn't sound too small and a very playable action make this little travel guitar hard to beat. I actually compared the Rider with one the Emerald X7OS travelers LA had in stock and found the Rider tone to be superior. I have known for years that Ted travels with a rider he purchased before he was a dealer and now I know why. I'm just sorry I didn't buy one sooner..
Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 AM

I emailed Joe at Blackbird with a few question and got an email back the next day. I called a while back and Joe answered the phone. I love small companies that have time to discuss their products. I came home today totally beat but still wanted to play for my kids, a small guitar would have been the ticket.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber