The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Default 3 new Emeralds announced!!!

Today Alistair Hay, CEO of Emerald Guitars has announced 3 brand new models that will be released in shortly. i'm really thrilled regarding them!

here is his post at Macnichol.com Forum:

As many will know Ive been working on 3 new designs which I had hoped to release this month to mark the new year but as is common things dont always go to plan so I thought I would at least partially stick to my promise and give you some preliminary details.

The new models are T8, X20-OS and a double neck 12 string 6 string.

The T8
Travel guitars have been a huge part of our business in the past few years so it only makes sense to expand this line. The T8 is similar in proportions to the X7 with a 13.5" body width but is a non cutaway and similar styling to the T20, in fact you could call it the T20's little brother. It will have a 1 3/4 nut width, 24" scale and will come as standard with a truss rod. The top is also getting a different approach and will offer something a little special. All in all this will be another little gem.

The X20-OS
The X20-OS has taken many twists in its birth and in fact I started out to build an X10-OS. I wanted to create something that would sit between the X10 and X30 and give a much bigger warmer sound while maintaining the small feel of the X10. It has alot of soundboard space but due to some unique body sculpting it feels incredible comfortable and sits very stable in your lap. I wont say too much more about the body design as its best to wait and see it as words dont do justice to it.
Really this guitar has become a platform for alot of my new inovations and is the reason for the delays. I discovered some very exciting new concepts during its design and I have to hold out to be sure its all perfected. This is certainly not a case of the same guitars in a different shape, this is a whole new approach.

The Double neck
The double neck has been an interest for me for quite a while and since building my first last year I received a number of custom comissions which took my interest deeper. Then after building an acoustic bass for Hugh McDonald from BonJovi I got invited to hang out with the band after their gig in Dublin and got to talk to Richie Sambora about his double neck guitars. My fate was sealed. Everything aligned in my mind and it seemed like a good idea to design a production double neck guitar that truly shows all the benefits of carbon fibre.

Carbon is the secret sauce that allows this guitar to be light, managable, ergonomic, strong and sound great acoustically. The Ovation double neck has been the only production double neck out there for many years so this will take the double neck to a new level.

Sure It may not be everybodies cup of tea but I think its areas like this that carbon can not just compete with the competition but blow it away.
So thats a little glimpse into the future of Emerald Guitars. As I write this Im tucked up in bed with a bad head cold so Im even further behind. Looking back 2011 was an awesome year for us but looking forward to 2012 it almost scares me how many exciting things are coming up.

Glad your all along for the ride.
Alistair
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM

He has my attention with doubleneck. My guess is that he is using either X30 body for it or a modified version of it. Hope they do a roadtrip with that model. A few times I thought about custom ordering from him, this way I get to play it and see how it will sit with me.
Those Korean made Ovations have pretty poor geometry if played while seated. Not to mention they sound paper thin.

If I do order it I plan on seven string (B on the bottom) and a twelve string combo. In red finish.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsman View Post
He has my attention with doubleneck. My guess is that he is using either X30 body for it or a modified version of it. Hope they do a roadtrip with that model. A few times I thought about custom ordering from him, this way I get to play it and see how it will sit with me.
Those Korean made Ovations have pretty poor geometry if played while seated. Not to mention they sound paper thin.

If I do order it I plan on seven string (B on the bottom) and a twelve string combo. In red finish.
Oooooo! I can imagine that guitar and it would be sweet. BTW, I have an X7-OS with the deep red burgundy finish and it is unbelievably beautiful, not loud, just food for the eyes.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM

The T8 has my name written all ober it! Alistar, are you reading this?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

The T8 sounds very interesting as well as the t20 revision....Alistair is quite creative when it comes to his designs.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Good stuff!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
The T8 sounds very interesting as well as the t20 revision....Alistair is quite creative when it comes to his designs.
Dkoloff, the new model is a completely new designed X20 with offset soundhole, not a derivation from the T20. it is really stealing my sleep right now!!!

Tarpman, i'm sure Alistair is reading this
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Double necks just plain look cool from a performance perspective. If I was a performer, I'd wnat one. I sure am curious to see it. Lact week on HDTV, I watched a Bon Jovi concert and Sambora played his Taylor double neck koa 6/12 for "Wanted dead or Alive". Excellent, and what a guitar!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM

This is exciting news! The innovation that is coming out of the CF world is amazing. I love the fact that folks like Alistair are not willing to settle in with what they have already built. CF builders are always challenging themselves to build better guitars, utilizing different materials. Five years from now, it certainly will have evolved even more.

Alistair, congrats! Now go get some sleep!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 AM

A carbon doubleneck, holy crap!!! I have been so into playing my wooden one in the last month. My only fear is pricepoint, hats off to the real carbon innovator in design. Allstair never sleeps, I swear, he is a machine. Noone else would try this:noone.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
alistair hay, carbon fiber, emerald